Is there a new procedure for non o retirement (not extension)

A friend of a friend has just applied to change his VE to a first non o for the purpose of retirement. He fulfilled all the required documents according to immigration and was told all in order. Sorry don't know which office. Checking his passport he discovered nothing new has been stamped inside . There is a date stamp on the bottom of his receipt dated 21 days from application, with written in Thai underneath, Please return to office on the above date. I would have suspected that immigration had just forgotten to enter the non 0 details except for the notation on the receipt. Coincidentally I came across a recent visa agent video in which he states that a non o (not extension) in Jomtien now requires a second visit after 21/28 days to recheck the documents.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, stratocaster said:

Coincidentally I came across a recent visa agent video in which he states that a non o (not extension) in Jomtien now requires a second visit after 21/28 days to recheck the documents.

From above one might suspect Jomtien?  And if Jomtien one might also suspect to check that he still has that 800k in bank (not a one day agent deposit/withdrawal sleight of hand).  But that is just a guess.

• Like 1

When few months ago I applied for Non-O based on marriage (converting from visa exempt) I got stamped in number of my application which I can use in Phuket immigration website to check my application status (approved/under processing/denied) and a tiny stamp with word Non-O, nothing else. Visa and and other stamps I got about 6-7 weeks later, but for retirement it should be faster.

Dr. Jack is correct. This is an under consideration stamp. When your friend goes back, if approved, they will give him the Non O visa based on retirement. For the extension, some IOs are making you go back for a second time after you submit as well. It’s best to use an agent or sign up for some service like Thai Legal Protection or Thailand Concierge as they both provide accurate legal advice on visa options for a very cheap fee and can help walk you through options without having to hire a visa agent. Both will teach you how to do things yourself. However, a visa agent can just do it all for you. There are tons in Pattaya and Bangkok. Key visa, One stop visa service, TSL and Associate, just to name a few.  All ranging in prices depending on your location and specific situation. Asking these things on a public forum will just get you half truths or speculation. 

Edited by wmlc
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Until it become a choice of:

image.jpeg.8ba16b6e392ff0ee307324acfe0a1a76.jpeg

Unfortunately the IO's prefer the illegal route..........????, and quite often the legal route can be trying at times........money in their wallet or money in your Thai bank !!

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Unfortunately the IO's prefer the illegal route..........????, and quite often the legal route can be trying at times........money in their wallet or money in your Thai bank !!

And so goes the justification mantra from the "I didn't do anything wrong" generation.  It may not be as high risk as drunk driving - that some seem to do - but don't tell others it is the right thing to do.  In most cases that IO prefer is just IO want correct paperwork and if you present all is fine.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

And so goes the justification mantra from the "I didn't do anything wrong" generation.  It may not be as high risk as drunk driving - that some seem to do - but don't tell others it is the right thing to do.  In most cases that IO prefer is just IO want correct paperwork and if you present all is fine.

Correct, I had 2 small hiccups last week during the paperwork process, 1900 baht all good see u next year........

Edited by CANSIAM

On 8/13/2023 at 6:37 AM, DrJack54 said:

He has an under consideration period.

His stamp will be issued when he returns on indicated date. 

It was the same for me and it made me not worry.
Due to the covid-19 period, I lost my previous extension which expired while I was in France.
I asked for a new Non-O Visa on 2022 november 10th and they gave me a paper stating, in english, that my visa would be ready on november 28th.

That visa, ready on 28th, started from November 14th.

Edited by daejung

On 8/14/2023 at 8:10 AM, lopburi3 said:

Actually suspect most information here is both accurate/free/legal - unlike some other paths.  There should be no reason anyone needs legal advise or an agent for normal extensions of stay if qualified for such and that information should be freely available - as it is on forums and some websites.

That’s strange. The services I referenced mostly give cheap and accurate legal advice so you can avoid paying an agency and getting 10 different answers to the same question on a forum. However, the people that want to use an agent don’t feel like waiting in line for a whole day. To use an agency or not is a choice. Some people value time more than a few bucks. Also it seems your post is belittling people that don’t qualify. That is not always the reason but so what. For example, let’s just say you have the 800K for the retirement visa, but you want to keep it invested. Does that make that person any less than you? Your logic is old fashioned and good for Cheap Charlie’s. Is it ok to be a Cheap Charlie? Yes as it’s everyone’s choice. But you shouldn’t talk this nonsense. 

Edited by wmlc
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:19 AM, brianthainess said:

Can you please explain the "charm"

Why would I pay 20k+ for a days work that i can do myself?

You are not that well versed in the visa agent fees is have been quoted 20k for a retirement visa extension if you have the 800k. It’s more like 6-10 k plus the 1900 baht. Don’t spread these rumors that aren’t accurate. 20k++ os the fee if you don’t have the 800K. However, some would still pay it to keep their 800K plus where it is and not in a Thai bank. Think 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wmlc said:

That’s strange. The services I referenced mostly give cheap and accurate legal advice so you can avoid paying an agency and getting 10 different answers to the same question on a forum. However, the people that want to use an agent don’t feel like waiting in line for a whole day. To use an agency or not is a choice. Some people value time more than a few bucks. Also it seems your post is belittling people that don’t qualify. That is not always the reason but so what. For example, let’s just say you have the 800K for the retirement visa, but you want to keep it invested. Does that make that person any less than you? Your logic is old fashioned and good for Cheap Charlie’s. Is it ok to be a Cheap Charlie? Yes as it’s everyone’s choice. But you shouldn’t talk this nonsense. 

My logic is old fashioned just as I am old.  Legal is still how I prefer to live.  In my many years of posting here I have not done so to belittle anyone - but I will point out legal issues.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2023 at 1:21 AM, wmlc said:

Dr. Jack is correct. This is an under consideration stamp. When your friend goes back, if approved, they will give him the Non O visa based on retirement. For the extension, some IOs are making you go back for a second time after you submit as well.

So just to make sure there is no misunderstanding:  You are saying it is NOT any longer true at least in some immigration offices that a Non-O based on retirement does NOT have a consideration period?  And if so, that only applies to the initial visa or also to annual extensions?

2 hours ago, K2938 said:

So just to make sure there is no misunderstanding:  You are saying it is NOT any longer true at least in some immigration offices that a Non-O based on retirement does NOT have a consideration period?  And if so, that only applies to the initial visa or also to annual extensions?

If you apply for a Non O visa at Immigration to "convert" from an entry on a tourist visa or visa exemption, then the application is taken under consideration with endorsement by Division headquarters being part of the process. A one-year extension of your permission to stay based on retirement is processed directly by your local office with no need for an "under consideration" period.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 9:16 PM, lopburi3 said:

My logic is old fashioned just as I am old.  Legal is still how I prefer to live.  In my many years of posting here I have not done so to belittle anyone - but I will point out legal issues.

What’s not legal if you have the money and want an agency to help you skip the line or do your paperwork? Again your logic is twisted. 

Edited by wmlc
  • Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, wmlc said:

What’s not legal if you have the money and want an agency to help you skip the line or do your paperwork? Again your logic is twisted. 

And you know as well as I that is not what this is about.  What is not legal is using such methods to obtain visa/extensions without meeting requirements. 

Edited by lopburi3

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

And you know as well as I that is not what this is about.  What is not legal is using such methods to obtain visa/extensions without meeting requirements. 

I do know that’s what it is about because I was the one that posted about 2 examples of companies that will teach you and guide you on how to do everything so you don’t have to hire an agency. 

1 minute ago, wmlc said:

I do know that’s what it is about because I was the one that posted about 2 examples of companies that will teach you and guide you on how to do everything so you don’t have to hire an agency. 

As if the average person needs to pay a company to teach them how to read - forums and groups such as this should provide such information to anyone interested - and from what I have seen posted on commercial web sites, do so with a lot more accuracy.