Roxio Recording Analogue Signals

marquess

I am running XP professional Celron R CPU 1.70 Ghz. 352Mb ram. Before my upgrade to XP, I was able to use my Roxio version six, to record analogue signals. Since the installation of XP, this is no longer possible.

The recording button goes red for a minute and then no longer works. Despite repeated postings on the Roxio website I have not had a credible reply to get round this problem. Also it would seem that I am not the only one to suffer from this problem. It seems that Xp is reading my Sound Blaster card as Crystal Soundfusion card. Despite having downloaded new drivers for the sound card, it has been to no avail.

Any suggestions? Also I am thinking of upgrading my sound card again, any suggestions re type and price?

hi'

my 2 baths here

I tried roxio ... only problems, even on the uninstall ...

one registry key did want to go away ...

you better use something else like Nero :o

why don't you use a single recorder like total recorder, which allow you to record anything, even stream audio or video from the web? give it a try :D

or try the Xp recorder, or the mediaplayer 9 recorder :D

cheers

francois

Thanks! Francois, I have tried to reinstall it but that does not work. I am thinking of buying a new sound card. This XP recorder does not seem to record things with a great deal of quality. I have used Nero and another programme too, it seems that XP is reading the sound card incorrectly and as a result they too have failed to record the analogue signal. I must say that when I originally bought the sound card and was using 98 I had no problems, and the drivers were only for 98.

Despite downloading the latest drivers from the net, I have had no joy. Thus I think that I need to get a sound card with XP drivers. Though I am not sure that this will solve the problem.

hi'

marquess, did you get XP on a clean Install or did upgrade from 98?

... but to me .. seems that it could come from the soundcard itself :o

what is the brand name?

to make a good check, try to record with a software like cool-edit now with a new name coz bought by Adobe :D

if it does not work, it surely comes from the sound card, or/and the drivers :D

check this out

francois

Would your sound card be a Soundblaster Audigy 2? That card uses the Crystal Soundfusion chipset. Creative Labs has different drivers for the Audigy than for the plain Soundblaster. Maybe you downloaded the wrong driver, thinking you had a plain Soundblaster? Windows would not say it had the Crystal Soundfusion chipset unless it did.

I am not quite sure which one it is, as I have long since disposed of the box and accompanying junk. The orginal programme is still on my computer and is showing as Vibra 128. If what Francois says is true, how comes the sound card recorded with 98? As to my Xp install, in was a clean install as opposed to an upgrade.

As stated earlier, I have used to Nero and Sound Grabber and to no avail. Could my problems stem from the fact that the card only had drivers for 98 and even though the good old Xp has installed it's own drivers. These do not meet the grade.

If I do need a new card, how much should I spend and which one should I buy?

hi'

the vibra 128 from sound-blaster is working properly under win98 as well as under XP ...

did you try to download dirvers from the Sb site?

they should have a generic driver like for the Sb live.

drivers for Sb card

if this does not work, this might be a problem with the card itself ...

sometime but rarely the wrong driver can cause problem to the hardware ... :D

XP has a generic driver for sound card if recognized at the install, did you try it?

in most of the case it makes the card work, without all the functions that the card could offer with proper driver, but at least the sound and basic functions are on ...

I don't see what else it could be ... hardware failure (even partialy..)

a sound card (not the top best), won't kill your budget.

a basic Audigy should not cost you a lot, look in shop,and by it "boxed", try to get a real one ... "real" copy are real cheap :o

sorry, I can help you more on this shot :D

cheers

francois

hi'

marquess, it all depends of your needs, if you work with sound or if you are a music lover with a nice 5.1 or above speakers system, you should get a nice Audigy card (24 bits), if not, well any sound blaster live should be ok :D

I don't remember the prices before I left, but in my memory the audigy was less

than 3,000 baths for sure :D

check the price in a "serious" shop, and get it boxed with the software package.

I can't help more than this, as I'm not on los anymore at the time :o

cheers and good luck anyway :D

francois