A handyman who wants to charge 2000 baht for a "survey fee"

Nickcage49

Your statement is the stupidest of the day.

Ask a construction worker probably an engineer or architect to come and quote you for some work with their advice on the site to see what work needs to be done and expect them not to ask you for the cost of  consultant their time doing it. ?

Do you live on which planet?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Different countries different cost of living and fees for jobs, remember why many of us are here

Do you not know what Thai folk pay for Uni learning, in their money it is a lot of dosh, coughed up by mum and dad hoping they make it, and make their pension.................????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BE88 said:

Your statement is the stupidest of the day.

It is a little confusing ---the heading is "A handyman" who wants to charge 2000 baht for a "survey fee----which its seems he is not--- some people think that if he has to spend time , maybe measuring etc , that he should get some compensations--others feel thats the price of winning the contract.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

It is a little confusing ---the heading is "A handyman" who wants to charge 2000 baht for a "survey fee----which its seems he is not--- some people think that if he has to spend time , maybe measuring etc , that he should get some compensations--others feel thats the price of winning the contract.

I contacted this firm in Pattaya called XXX Construction. Is a Handyman ????

It seems to me that this is not about confusion but about competence for 60 $

Really ridiculous

Edited by BE88

10 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

your post makes no sense

Why you think also people work for free ?

The OP did not say what made him do, certainly not a new house, perhaps a job worth a few thousand B.

Edited by BE88

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

2,000 baht is very high don't you think? maybe even falang price? they obviously are losing business trying to charge this

I see another point; if the survey fee is 2,000Baht then what's the daily cost of actual work done by his staff?

But what's not stated is 'how big is the job?' and 'does it need thorough / complex inspections before giving a quote?' 

• Thumbs Up 2

45 minutes ago, transam said:

Do you not know what Thai folk pay for Uni learning, in their money it is a lot of dosh, coughed up by mum and dad hoping they make it, and make their pension.................????

Tradies going to Uni?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

I contacted this firm in Pattaya called XXX Construction.

Don't make the same mistake I made.

We exchanged texts and pictures about what I wanted done, I sent him my location and then I suggested he come look at the job. He said "that will be a 2000 baht "survey fee".

I'm like WHAT? You don't give free estimates? He said no.

I asked him why and he said "we have costs of doing business". LOL. No, really? So you collect 2000 baht fees all day and don't do any work for it? Just unfreakingreal!

So I told him which part of my body he could kiss.

Just unbelievable.

I doubt you said kiss my ...

2 hours ago, Nickcage49 said:

I asked him why and he said "we have costs of doing business". LOL. No, really? So you collect 2000 baht fees all day and don't do any work for it?

"So you collect 2000 baht fees all day and don't do any work for it?"

How did you, rationally, come to that conclusion?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

very common to get free quotes, that's why. When were you last charged for a quote for work?

While my electrician doesn’t charge for a quote he expects to be paid for his travel time, he doesn’t give an amount but if you don’t give a reasonable payment you may find that any date you want him to come is unfortunately not possible.

We pay travel, he is happy to work for us.

His travel is not as expensive as the handyman and he needs 2 hours for a round trip.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, oxo1947 said:

It is a little confusing ---the heading is "A handyman" who wants to charge 2000 baht for a "survey fee----which its seems he is not--- some people think that if he has to spend time , maybe measuring etc , that he should get some compensations--others feel that's the price of winning the contract.

And if he does not win the contract, you think he should should do the work for free?