A handyman who wants to charge 2000 baht for a "survey fee"

Nickcage49

Handy man is a derogitry term for a tradesman which shows no respect for the knowledge of the man the op was wishing to hire .

I ordered 10 sliding doors recently and if i wanted the the company to visit the house and measure the required size  a payment of 1500 baht deposit was required . I decided to measure the doors my self .

On 8/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, bignok said:

Tradies going to Uni?

Probably depends on the trade but teah fairly common, I have 5 staff attending the Welding Institute Of Thailand at the moment gaining their welding qualifications.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, itsari said:

Handy man is a derogitry term for a tradesman which shows no respect for the knowledge of the man the op was wishing to hire .

I ordered 10 sliding doors recently and if i wanted the the company to visit the house and measure the required size  a payment of 1500 baht deposit was required . I decided to measure the doors my self .

From the website of the construction site in question:

IMG_7356.thumb.jpeg.599e39e24de7759d0f42668acdb5f7f7.jpeg

Since winter last year we set up our farm I always hear:

"We come and look, first consultation is free."

If somebody would ask me or my wife for a survey fee he would earn nothing else than laughing and the noise when somebody ends the phone call on the other end..

Top expert or even the entire A-Team, there is no such a thing, like a survey fee in our vocabulary, complete BS! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This wnrire thread is worthless without knowing the size of this project.  It must be substantial if it required a lengthy email exchange.  

In my American handyman business i dont have a minimum charge dir a visit but i may soon dor certain customers that i think are just trying to get free advice before i even come.  We do lots of sprinkler repairs. A few ask for a quote and i ask how can i give a quote to fix things underground that neither of us can see.  I don't know how the digging will be hindered by rocks and roots   im beginning to learn which folks are the problem customers