New MOU addresses health issues among monks

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Culture has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with related agencies to keep Buddhist monks nutritionally healthy. The ministry is encouraging faithful Buddhists to offer healthy diets to monks.

Minister of Culture Itthiphol Khunpluem led the MOU signing ceremony. This agreement was reached between the Ministry of Culture, the Ministry of Public Health, Mahitala Dhibesra Institute, the Medical Council of Thailand, and the Department of Religious Affairs.

The signing was co-chaired by Somdet Phramahathirachan, a member of the Sangha Supreme Council, and the abbot of Wat Phra Chetuphon Wimon Mangkhalaram.

A large number of Buddhist monks in Thailand are infected with non-communicable diseases (NCDs), which include diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia.

The Ministry of Culture recommends that people offer healthy foods to monks, according to the nutritional recommendations. Healthy foods should have less sugar, less oil, and less sodium.

by Tanakorn Sangiam

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230816101354182

-- NNT 2023-08-16

Where I live I see many monks when I go for my early morning walk. It makes me wonder how many are genuine. Many are obese males in their mid 30's who need to toughen up and get a job unless they are genuine believers. My wife told me that many are sugar freaks who've run away from personal issues rather than face the issues up front. I'm not Buddhist bashing as I have 3 brother in laws who are monks and all in their 60's.

My brother-in-law is a monk.  When he needs medical attention my wife and I must help.  The Temple leadership informed my wife the Temple provides no help.  I can’t help but wonder what happens to monks, in need, who have no family for support.  

Seems like a very strange system indeed!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

which include diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia.

Some interesting posts about local monks not getting treatment. Where I lived in Khon Kaen Province, the local Government Hospital's Diabetic Clinic (which I attended) also treated many monks who used to sit waiting to see the doctor. In fact there was a small row of seperate seats just for monks. like myself, they were prescribed the appropriate medication.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information