British TikToker praises Thai gas man’s effort to master the English language

webfact

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thank you...    you have highlighted what little idea you have. 

Google translate is excellent at translating signs, menus etc...  and can definitely help, it serves an excellent purpose and definitely a 'better to have than not to have'... its serves as extremely rudimentary translation...  a pretty basic level of Thai is going to get you further and could be complimented with google translate when further vocab is needed, but most definitely speaking basic Thai cannot be replaced.

And thats for basic translation now consider humour, idioms, metaphors etc 

I think that even without Google, people here and there lack elementary sense of humour oridioms, and have a confused vision of any metaphor and untimately lack rudimentary social skills that are to have a minimum of politeness or humility in daily interactions in Thailand.

Our western arrogance has no place in Asia, no matter how much we think that we are humourous or shine with intelligence. At the end of the day it just a matter of those who have class and those who do not my dear fellow.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:10 PM, Neeranam said:

Personally, I find this type of attendant extremely annoying. I speak Thai and they often can't figure that out. 

Most likely in Chiang Mai, it's because they are maybe from Myanmar or that the "Thai" you are speaking has a completely different accent to thiers. Maybe try to understand the subtlties of the language and be extremely annoyed at your own lack of empathy,

On 8/18/2023 at 7:15 PM, Neeranam said:

Last week, a beggar approached me outside 7/11 and wanted to practice her English. She said, 'you you money me'. As I was a teacher here for 25 years, I corrected her bad grammar.  Don't know why, but she wasn't very appreciative. 

The fact that you were a teacher for 25 years explains your inability to comprehend anything that requires some listening and empathy. Too used to imparting your superior views on to the poor uneducated wretches, I suspect.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, V8M8 said:

The fact that you were a teacher for 25 years explains your inability to comprehend anything that requires some listening and empathy. Too used to imparting your superior views on to the poor uneducated wretches, I suspect.

But at least the people he taught would have understood his "perfect" Thai!

(no matter what language they were used to!)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

personal observation makes it clear to me that the that the 'eyes not believing the ears' thing is very real...

THat's just  conformation bias

Edited by kwilco

On 8/18/2023 at 3:27 PM, Red Forever said:

I always praise a Thai person when they try out their English on me and I help them.

Judging by some posts here on this subject there are some miserable, anti-social farang who are like the Brits who moved to Spain and are proud of the fact that they don't speak Spanish and only eat egg and chips.

Sad.

Spanish talk like a running race. 3 sentences in 3 seconds. Hareeba hareeba.