Pleasant surprise at Savannakhet

39 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

I arrived at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet at 10.00am on the 16th. August fearing the worst for being late. Much to my surprise there was only one person in front of me. My ticket number to go back the next day and pick up my passport was 19. The next day I arrived early and had a beer in the small restaurant opposite the consulate. I was the only person there and they closed and pulled the shutters down at 13.30PM. On previous occasions this restaurant has been mobbed. Still it was a pleasant experience.

Contrast your experience with that of the people who applied the next day. According to another post, the consulate was mobbed on Thursday morning with visa run company groups.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kidneyw said:

I arrived at the Thai consulate in Savannakhet at 10.00am on the 16th. August fearing the worst for being late. Much to my surprise there was only one person in front of me. My ticket number to go back the next day and pick up my passport was 19. The next day I arrived early and had a beer in the small restaurant opposite the consulate. I was the only person there and they closed and pulled the shutters down at 13.30PM. On previous occasions this restaurant has been mobbed. Still it was a pleasant experience.

That a stark contrast to what our good friend MC who lives in Savan has reported, he's sent me photos of massive lines, guess you were very lucky to get a day when there were no visa run crowds. BTW I'm BD from PH3. ????

5 minutes ago, grain said:

That a stark contrast to what our good friend MC who lives in Savan has reported, he's sent me photos of massive lines, guess you were very lucky to get a day when there were no visa run crowds. BTW I'm BD from PH3. ????

Hello BD. I am General KW from PH3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

Contrast your experience with that of the people who applied the next day. According to another post, the consulate was mobbed on Thursday morning with visa run company groups.

Yep, Tuesday and Wednesday are the best gamble.....????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

I get those daily when I post accurate advice to a simple inquiry.

With almost 60k posts why so concerned. 

Your post here was sensible advice.

Because I would like to explain my post, so they understand it, I don't want them to remain confused.....????

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Because I would like to explain my post, so they understand it, I don't want them to remain confused.....????

Nonsense.

Mondays is generally busy day for most immigration offices. So your post was sensible.

Applying on a Friday would mean obtain visa Monday at the earliest.

The confused emoji was perhaps from a member of peanut gallery.

Might be that he wondered why not include Thursday.

Who cares.

Move on 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Lolothai said:

I'm going there on Monday 28 August, planning to sleep at Mukdahan on Sunday evening and pass the bridge/border on Monday morning. Are the Mondays that terrible?

Busy day, not advisable, though if you speak Russian and enjoy the scent of Russian smokes, could be OK....................????

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, transam said:

Busy day, not advisable, though if you speak Russian and enjoy the scent of Russian smokes, could be OK....................????

I don't speak Russian, I can't even imitate Russian accent and I have never smoked of my life. Well I'm ready to endure as long as it doesn't reduce my chance to get a visa otherwise I could lose one more day if necessary.

1 minute ago, Lolothai said:

I don't speak Russian, I can't even imitate Russian accent and I have never smoked of my life. Well I'm ready to endure as long as it doesn't reduce my chance to get a visa otherwise I could lose one more day if necessary.

Last time I went was on a Monday, I couldn't change it, the queue was out of the consulate yard, up the street and back, I stood in the sun for I think 2.5 hours, if Mrs. T didn't bring an umbrella, I would have been in trouble...????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Last time I went was on a Monday, I couldn't change it, the queue was out of the consulate yard, up the street and back, I stood in the sun for I think 2.5 hours, if Mrs. T didn't bring an umbrella, I would have been in trouble...????

Tha tan would have gone well with your long neck length hair...

5 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I'm going there on Monday 28 August, planning to sleep at Mukdahan on Sunday evening and pass the bridge/border on Monday morning. Are the Mondays that terrible?

Mondays are usually truly awful. If at all possible, delay your trip by a day.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, BritTim said:

I guess that was also what happened to me on a thursday. Was full with minivan russian / ukrainian / gypsy types. I guess the 'secret' really is to try and go there on a wednesday.

3 hours ago, Lolothai said:

If you get offered to be cut in front of the line for 1000 baht, it is worth doing it. It usually comes with a bottle of water an a umbrella to borrow. If you do go on a monday: Expect hell.

I guess I will bring some tiny foldable fishing chair next time together with a drinking bottle to keep 3 coffees in, and a sandwich, and then just sit out there being number 1 from 6AM.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If you get offered to be cut in front of the line for 1000 baht, it is worth doing it. It usually comes with a bottle of water an a umbrella to borrow. If you do go on a monday: Expect hell.

I guess I will bring some tiny foldable fishing chair next time together with a drinking bottle to keep 3 coffees in, and a sandwich, and then just sit out there being number 1 from 6AM.

You better strap on a catheter if you're bringing 3 coffees as peeing in line isn't allowed. Wonder if they'd bring back the 'ol British royalty tradition of hiring someone for that job. "Oh Piss Boy" ????

9 hours ago, Lolothai said:

I avoid Monday and fridays in SEA at any official govt office 

Edited by Irish star

On 8/18/2023 at 1:00 PM, kidneyw said:

Imagine being in the mid 300’s two trips in a row.  Second trip wasn’t that bad though since was staying across the street and just laid in bed watching Netflix til 1330hrs but did stand in line almost 2 hours.

16 hours ago, Lolothai said:

Don’t.  Or at the very least just cross on Sunday before 5-6PM and hit the line early without having to deal with the minivan hordes on Monday morning.  Swear to baby Jesus I will never, ever again go there on a Monday or Thursday for drop day.  

15 hours ago, transam said:

Last two times there I thought I was standing in Phuket.  One Russian chic got booted out of line 5 spots from the window.  The rest of the ruskies, all chics with bad botox from Patts (imagine that ????) mobbed the gate guy and their drivers until somebody brought her back in lol.  Chinese weren’t as bad this second time around but I did drop back a few paces away from a group of these russians to hang with some Filipinos which was waaaay better.  
Just finished your “Savannakhet ME based on Thai fam/spouse” thread and thats what I’m prob going to do next year when I’m back for my first childs birth.  I’m only 2 hours away so it’s not a major trip.  Did just finish another FB group post where a guy claimed to verbally confirm w/  Savannakhet they won’t give same visa with a past ED visa.  
Oh and were you refering to Savan Resorts in that thread where you were staying?  Considering giving them a try next trip after seeing the van in/out of the checkpoint last trip.

As I mentioned in a previous post I think Sav will start an appointment system. Going on holiday to Vientiane today so will make a point to walk past the Embassy as the hotel is nearby, to see what the queues are like at collection time

Edited by stratocaster
Spelling

5 hours ago, transam said:

I stayed at Pilgrims Kitchen, right on the river bank, nothing posh, but very nice and relaxing place...

The best room I am going to keep a secret, just in case one of you lot book it when or if I next go.....????

Thats prob where I’ll book.  Talked with a guy in line that walked from there.  Said they rented bikes too.  Plus there’s a Black Canyon Coffee enroute there.  Found another restaurant/cafe that was across that 4 way down the hill.  Was open later than any coffee shop besides Amazon.  Machiatto was a disappointment but I had to spend some Agoda cash credit I had.  That butger at Savan BBQ was prob the best thing I remember about the whole trip.  

20 minutes ago, craftyone said:

Thats prob where I’ll book.  Talked with a guy in line that walked from there.  Said they rented bikes too.  Plus there’s a Black Canyon Coffee enroute there.  Found another restaurant/cafe that was across that 4 way down the hill.  Was open later than any coffee shop besides Amazon.  Machiatto was a disappointment but I had to spend some Agoda cash credit I had.  That butger at Savan BBQ was prob the best thing I remember about the whole trip.  

It's a looong walk............:whistling:

Pilgrims Kitchen has Thai/Laos, American, Mexican and Indian food, at incredibly cheap prices, together with many types of coffee, no need to go anywhere. :licklips:

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

It's a looong walk............:whistling:

Pilgrims Kitchen has Thai/Laos, American, Mexican and Indian food, at incredibly cheap prices, together with many types of coffee, no need to go anywhere. :licklips:

Someone is confused, can I help you.........????

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1