Avocado

As far as I know Avocados are mostly grown in the cooler provinces in Thailand. I saw a lot of them in Loei province in mountain areas. The trees need sunlight but like moderate temperatures, that means they seem to not tolerate the heat so well.

Edited by msbkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 - 3 weeks ago was at an avocado farm/plantation in Korat province. The owner is growing lovely avocados which he sells mainly at the gate or online. He uses a hybrid (correct word when talking about a plant which is a mix of two plants?). So, I think yes, it's possible, however, cultivars like Hass don't seem to like it here in our neck of the woods, so you're going to have to find a tree that can grow in this climate. From what I can tell, avocados don't seem to be too fussy when it comes to soil type, but they don't like having wet feet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, msbkk said:

As far as I know Avocados are mostly grown in the cooler provinces in Thailand. I saw a lot of them in Loei province in mountain areas. The trees need sunlight but like moderate temperatures, that means they seem to not tolerate the heat so well.

My family has friends in the north (Nan) and they send us boxes of the stuff Its readily available In most markets/ big shops in Pattaya in season. The local Thai variety are not as flavourful as the Hass ones. IMHO

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I have six or seven trees here in Songkhla (Ranot district). The core group were grafts gifted to me. Then I grew a few from seed. All of the plants are healthy and doing well, but at about 6 years so far they have yet to produce any fruit....