How old is old enough? Enjoying the delights of Thailand at 18 or 20 yrs of age.

jastheace

So... I'm hoping to soon plan a trip to Thailand around my sons 18th birthday. It's been too long since our last trip, so do not really want to wait any longer. There seems to be a grey area around the ages of 18-20 to where and what you can do. 

I've noticed some signs around the sois of Pattaya stating minimum age for entry into some establishments is 20. However, there are also signs outside the same business advertising for staff at age starting from 18.

Any ideas what is allowed and what is forbidden, whether legally or otherwise. Seems to me this maybe an subject which will vary from light gray to dark gray. Maybe differences also between provincial towns and cities to major tourist destinations.

Son is half Thai BTW, if that makes a difference... ???

In particular would welcome comments from bar/ entertainment venue managers/ owners.

TiA

The bargirls for the most part will not gowityu with Thai guys, or any Asian-looking men.  I've had American guys of Asian descent tell me about this.  I know of more than one who cut their holidays short because of this.  One even flew from Bkk directly to Rio.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jastheace said:

I've noticed some signs around the sois of Pattaya stating minimum age for entry into some establishments is 20. However, there are also signs outside the same business advertising for staff at age starting from 18.

No customers under the age of 20 allowed in bars.

Staff can be as young as 18, but not allowed to serve or drink alcohol until age 20.

They probably wouldn't check a foreigner, but police raids are very keen on catching under 20 Thais in bars or nightclubs.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

Throughout the decades (late 1970's to 2010), Enjoying the delights of Thailand as a teenager through to progeny, was never a problem for a genuine "Western Tourist"  who had Baht in either wallet/purse.

Times seem to have changed though, and the attraction to Thailand has produced mass tourism.

Now with an avenue to enforce laws for "Supplementary Income" to offset their  required  "Monetary Subscription Repayment" to be a "Policeman" seems to be more than evident.

Edited by Paul Catton
grammar

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

The bargirls for the most part will not gowityu with Thai guys, or any Asian-looking men.

Let him look like half Korean or Japanese.

The girls in GoGos and bars will jump on him, drag him in.

A group of Koreans or Japanese entering a Gogo?

You can call check bin and flee.

But yes, the legal age of 20 would apply to foreigners too.

I don't know how often one got in trouble about this.

Completely different story for Thai men or Indian.

Most girls will hide under the table.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Most girls will hide under the table.

From what I heard from a farang friend who lived in Japan, it's the Japanese men who will dive under the table to look up the skirts.  And take pictures. :wink:

• Haha 1