EV sales in Thailand to hit 50,000 despite auto loan regulations

webfact

I think a lot of companies will get burned building CS in towns, for sure we will need some, but not many.

A CS in my town is likely to be used by someone making a trip from Chiang Mai etc, local people won't want to pay the premium over charging at home.

• Thumbs Up 2

50 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think a lot of companies will get burned building CS in towns, for sure we will need some, but not many.

A CS in my town is likely to be used by someone making a trip from Chiang Mai etc, local people won't want to pay the premium over charging at home.

There's only 12 cities, with 100k+ population here/TH.   Anything smaller, and people will be charging at home, and unless on a major road, most will be passing through, as not exactly a tourist town.  After 100k, the numbers drop quick.  20 cities later and <50k.

Not many large cities for having 76 province, and a couple of the larger ones, are part of Krung Thep metro area.

cities by population

Between Hua Hin and Chumphon, we have plenty, for now and that's along a major interprovince highway.  Nobody is going too far E or W of the highway here, so nothing really needed, except weekends maybe, along the hwy (#4) itself.

We don't even have 30k for our town, <100k for Amphur and whole province <600k, which includes Hua Hin.

They could definitely use a few more along the coastlines, for those taking the scenic route, and far E border (river), or W along Myanmar, Umphang, Tak & above.

Most tourist will come off the main highways, tour about then end up back on the highways without the need to charge up.  Plenty of highways crisscrossing N/S & E/W.

We went to these points, since having the EV, in the past 10 months, and never a problem.

PKK province is long and thin, as you can see by the congested red dots, almost a line, of our 'local O&As', that don't need a CS.  Living mid province we can hit top & bottom of, without need to charge, till we return home.

image.png.111e9a9797a33265a4e3764f3d251d17.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, transam said:

I saw a vid where China has restricted Tesla cars from areas in the country, they think they have spying tech in them.......????

He does raise an important point at 9:00, that the CCP can eavesdrop and capture video of everything that goes on in the car. Truly scary.

23 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

All these local petrol stations you see around your town will disappear.  All that time people with ICE cars waste every week queuing at and waiting for their tank to fill, what a colossal waste of time.

So what we are saying here is EVs are not to be used for road trips, vacations, dropping kids off at college, and other trips beyond a 100km trip from home...nor can be used at nighttime?

How long will they take to charge, a period you cannot use it of course. More than the 3-4 minutes a conventional car will take to fill, giving a range of over 600km?

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So what we are saying here is EVs are not to be used for road trips, vacations, dropping kids off at college, and other trips beyond a 100km trip from home...nor can be used at nighttime?

How long ill they take to charge, a period you cannot use it of course. More than the 3-4 minutes a conventional car will take to fill, giving a range of over 600km?

Not what I am saying.

I am saying that we won't need all these petrol stations in town converting to CS because most people will charge at home & wake up to a full battery every morning.

What we need is CS on the roads, so if you go on a road trip, vacation etc you can charge whilst out & about.  We already have enough for the number of EV's on the road today, but they will need to be expanded massively as EV's go mainstream.

MG advertise that they have a fast charger every 150km in Thailand, their network is available to other manufacturer's EV's but you need to register with MG which is no easy task, like most salespeople in Thailand, they don't know their A$$ from their elbow.

38 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How long will they take to charge, a period you cannot use it of course. More than the 3-4 minutes a conventional car will take to fill, giving a range of over 600km?

Don't know how you read all that into it, and most non diesel ICEVs don't give you more than 600 km range.  And yet to get in/out of any petrol station is less than 10 minutes, when use ICEVs.  Along with paying 2.5X the amount to 'top up' on the road, and almost 5X the amount charging at home if not having solar.

Simple - EVs simply are not for people who can't charge at home, and are too impatient to charge on the road.

All the rest you assume is inaccurate BS.

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Simple - EVs simply are not for people who can't charge at home, and are too impatient to charge on the road.

IE regular vehicle users!

I don't get the logic of EV fan clubs  having a go at how long it takes to fill a petrol / diesel tank, when the alternative is overnight.... and yet when we don't want to spend some hours half way to where we want to go,, we are impatient. You also mention solar power at home as a requirement, yet tell us to charge overnight! 

Most of my vehicle  mileage is long haul loaded up to her village, up, over substantially hilly country, so I fear EVs are not yet practical....for me. My  weekly shopping trip to town, yes it would be ideal, but owning 2x4 wheel vehicles isn't  practical. I wait a few more improvements, I do not yet see EVs as an answer, nor all that beneficial cost wise, nor environmentally. 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

IE regular vehicle users!

I don't get the logic of EV fan clubs  having a go at how long it takes to fill a petrol / diesel tank, when the alternative is overnight.... and yet when we don't want to spend some hours half way to where we want to go,, we are impatient.

ICEV users have not problem waiting weelking to fill their tanks, but can't when on the road.  10 weeks X 10 mins, but can spare 30 minutes to be able to drive a couple more hours.  A welcome break for me after 3 hrs

You also mention solar power at home as a requirement, yet tell us to charge overnight! 

No I don't, not required, and if solar, not overnight.

Most of my vehicle  mileage is long haul loaded up to her village, up, over substantially hilly country, so I fear EVs are not yet practical....for me. My  weekly shopping trip to town, yes it would be ideal, but owning 2x4 wheel vehicles isn't  practical. I wait a few more improvements, I do not yet see EVs as an answer, nor all that beneficial cost wise, nor environmentally. 

My opinion differs obviously, as quite enjoy the added performance & savings.  Fit perfectly in our lifestyle, and actually kms wise, 50-60% local, 40-50% O&A with the car, since everything is close to home, and E-MB is used a lot.

Now the ZS has 15k+ kms on it, and 5k of those are O&A, with 2 more O&As planned within the 1st yr /~20k kms of ownership hits.  So may actually hit 50% of kms O&A.  Scooter does about 2-3k kms a year, all local.

7 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Is charging to 100% encouraged in these types of batteries? 

Ours, LFP chemistry, so they don't mind, and most are now LFP batteries being used, both lighter & cheaper for manufacturer, more cycles and rare fire risk for customer.  If a rare fire, less toxic fumes, just try to avoid being BBQ'd ????

85%-100% charges a bit slower, and why they always quote 30-80% ... as fast (30 ish minutes) & simple marketing.  If we're done what ever, and depending how far going, we'll stop charging @ 85% or more, though rare and leave, or if someone pulls in and the other machine/cable isn't available and we're at or near 90%

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Ours, LFP chemistry, so they don't mind, and most are now LFP batteries being used, both lighter & cheaper for manufacturer, more cycles and rare fire risk for customer.  If a rare fire, less toxic fumes, just try to avoid being BBQ'd ????

85%-100% charges a bit slower, and why they always quote 30-80% ... as fast (30 ish minutes) & simple marketing.  If we're done what ever, and depending how far going, we'll stop charging @ 85% or more, though rare and leave, or if someone pulls in and the other machine/cable isn't available and we're at or near 90%

That's good for the home charging as well then. I'm the type who likes 100% at the start of the day, but for an ev, I'd want to look after the battery. Sounds like that's no longer an issue. 

2 minutes ago, alien365 said:

That's good for the home charging as well then. I'm the type who likes 100% at the start of the day, but for an ev, I'd want to look after the battery. Sounds like that's no longer an issue. 

For LFP batteries it is also recommended to let drop to around 10% ( stay close to home ????) and charge to 100% occasionally ( once every 3 months I think ) to balance the battery and get the best from it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, alien365 said:

As soon as it dips below 90%, we usually plug in, since using solar, especially during rainy season.

Non rainy season, we'll let it go do to 70% ish, as knowing plenty of sunshine.

With solar, you charge when you can, not when needed ????  Amazing how much solar produces, even when overcast.  On our system anyway, 8kW inverter.   3 or 5kW inverter might not have as much excess, and better planning needed.

If using grid, then irrelevant.  Can do overnight.

z MG ZS EV 2022.png

Charging at home is slow, so better for the battery, as doesn't heat up while charging.

Even when we go O&A, we'll leave 100%, and return @ 20%, so that's about 500kms at slow charge.  So about 25-35% of our O&A charging.  Better for battery health.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, alien365 said:

The MG4 has LFP batteries and there is no way to tell it to stop charging before 100%.

I do mostly charge to about 80-85% but I do it by starting charging and look at how long it's going to take on the display and unplugging the car an hour early.

You do need to charge to 100% about once a month because the BMS features passive balancing and it only balances the battery pack after it reaches 100%.  Some manufacturers include active balancing and there's no need to do an equalisation (balancing) charge as it's happening constantly.

What the car tells you is 100% is probably about 95%, they lock out some of the battery when full and also when empty to stop you from damaging the battery pack.

• Like 1

The 10% EV sales of total vehicle sales is interesting. I acknowledge that ICE vehicles are having a bit of a PC moment when smart-phones took over the market, but EV can't replace all ICE vehicles. At some point we will see a saturation point.

Hybrid cars will probably slowly fade away, they are kind of the worst of both worlds.

My guess is that EV will struggle to gain 30% market share in Thailand ????????.  

17 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

He does raise an important point at 9:00, that the CCP can eavesdrop and capture video of everything that goes on in the car. Truly scary.

Buy a Chinese EV and say goodbye to your personal freedom.

When he visited a police command center in Kunming, Chinese officers typed a bus’s information into a computer and pulled up live closed-circuit footage from inside, he recalled. Chinese police showed him how they had solved a theft using high-resolution footage from inside a nightclub. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2023/china-fiji-police-mou-pacific-islands/

Edited by ExpatOilWorker
  • Sad 1