After Riding A Scooter Around Koh Samui

For the past two years I have been on and off with the idea of buying myself a motor bike. To be more specific a Honda Phantom. I know many folk hate those bikes but that’s not the issue. The issue is one of safety. Safety is the thing that has stopped me buying the bike so far. However, last week we spent some time on Koh Toa and Koh Samui. We hired a 115cc scooter whilst there and really enjoyed it. I am a cautious rider and take it easy. We both felt quite safe and didn’t have any bad experiences. I am now back onto the idea of getting a bike based on this experience. I have grand ideas of slow tours around Thailand with the wife on the back. I’m just wondering if this island riding is an untrue representation of riding a bike here. What do you folks think?

There are lots of people who will tell you that riding a bike here is mad, dangerous and plain stupid.You will also find that these people tend to be the type of person who still finds balancing on a push bike hard. I have riddenThousands of miles, Kilometres here over the years. It a great place to ride. Yes you need to be aware of some of the Thai driving traits but apart from that I feel safer riding here than back in the UK. The main thing to stand by is never be in a hurry to get anywhere. The Honda phantom is a good bike for this country. It will take you anywhere 2 up and with luggage. Its easy to run, service and maintain. I bought one when I first arrived and me and the wie have been all over on it. I then got a Yamaha XV Virago 1000cc and the wife took over the phantom. we have ridden again all over the last being from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi. Ive just upped to a new Triumph Rocket 3 2,300cc so now the wife is trying out the Virago.

Dont listen to all those armchair warriors, if you did you wouldn't take a bus train or taxi as they are all so dangerous?????? For me its the only way to travel round this beautiful country. You stop when you want, and go when you want. Just do it as the saying goes. We are now in the planning of a round Thailand trip for next month or so, cant wait. As said enjoy the freedom and be switched on and NEVER be in a hurry to get anywhere. Stay upright :o

Safety is a big issue; for those who can afford to own four wheels with a box atop, safety should be the biggest issue about riding a bike instead. Riding on an island may be substantially different from riding in town, or around the countryside on a Phantom 200, two up. Very dangerous, say I as I nurse the exhaust burn on my right leg, just below the permanent scars on both kneecaps, well above the surgical scar where I lost my humerus (ball at upper end of right arm). Skydiving and bungee cord jumping are fun, too. If you must, you must. Otherwise, I suggest the very boring box on four wheels. Say I as I prepare to get back on the same bike that now has 45,200 km...

So PB, I take it you cant ride a bike very well? You have a list of injuries a mile long. Does that equate to biking being dangerous or just you being a bad rider? I have notched up around 30,000 km over the years and hundreds of thousand since biking and to date no accidents or injuries. As I said it is all down to the individual. Being in a tin box on wheels isnt a cure all either. On my travels Ive seen a ###### sight more cars, trucks and buses involved in accidents than I have bikes. A lot of people are doom merchants. If you are switched on, careful and not in a hurry riding round Thailand is the dogs Bo&&*%s. Life it self is a risk doesn't mean you should stay cooped up at home. Diving is dangerous to an extent but Ive logged up thousands of dives all again without injury. Its a very short life we have and I believe in liviing it to the full. For me just do it. I'll bet you get hooked on it. get off the beaten track and you meet some wonderful people and see some beautiful sights. Stay upright :o

I used to have a yamaha XT500 as a winter hack. Great bike. A guy hobbled up to me one day with a walking stick, very crippled and moving slow. Started chatting about racing an XT500, before the car accident of course. Unfortunately you can also do a lot of damage in cars.

To the OP, you rode a bike in Samui and you still wanna ride? If you can survive in Samui you can ride anywhere just make sure you buy a bike suitable for the area. I have raced and beaten an R1 and hayabusa around Samui on my Mio. You don't want a bike with power here. I would hate to have a Mio anywhere else. Make sure you buy something with enough power to get out of trouble. Maybe you don't need it now but you may do when you become more competant on 2 wheels