Changing Thai Baht to Australian Dollar - Better to do it in Thailand or Australia?

Similarly I took some Thai baht back to Canada and exchanged it for Canadian dollars.They beat the crap out of me in the ex rate.

Never again.I would change it here.Just shop around for the best rate.

Just out of curiosity take a 1k Thai baht note back with you and see how much you get.You'll be surprised.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Outside of Thailand, the baht is considered a minor currency and usually attracts an unfavorable exchange rate. I would change baht to Australian dollars here in Thailand.

The baht is probably actually considered an exotic currency in the world of foreign exchange trading.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

We just changed Thai baht abroad. Got offered a lousy rate at a major bank. I shopped around local currency changers and got almost spot rate, which was also better than I could have got in Thailand. But I think it is country specific. Ask a mate back home to check the rate at a local bank for you and if there are currency traders check them as well.

28 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Who in their right mind brings cash when they travel? Use your ATM card like a normal person. This isn’t 1977.

And yes I know the ATMs charge ฿200+ per transaction. Get a card that pays you the fees back. 

Which bank returns fee? Any in oz? 

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Who in their right mind brings cash when they travel? Use your ATM card like a normal person. This isn’t 1977.

Easy said. Rely on one piece of plastic?

Not for me.

Always have alternatives and enough cash for at least a week.