After retirement, what? - for a Thai national

ravip

6 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

My wife worked from age 20 till she was made redundant in 2021 aged 51 due to covid.  She was on a decent salary for 20 years and then an excellent salary for the next 11 years as branch manager for a Japanese company at Laem Chabang.  She will receive her Thai state pension in 2 years time, a total of 4,000 baht per month for 31 years continuous work, pathetic

She was only putting in 750 baht per month. If you're earning an excellent salary in a company, you're probably also paying into a company provident fund and can also afford to make your own pension plans. 

6 hours ago, Geordieabroad said:

My wife worked from age 20 till she was made redundant in 2021 aged 51 due to covid.  She was on a decent salary for 20 years and then an excellent salary for the next 11 years as branch manager for a Japanese company at Laem Chabang.  She will receive her Thai state pension in 2 years time, a total of 4,000 baht per month for 31 years continuous work, pathetic

Why pathetic?  If she was on decent, and then excellent, salary why was she not saving enough to pay for her retirement? 

PH

18 hours ago, matchar said:

So now it's up to the younger generation to make up the shortfall with sky high taxes to support a rapidly ageing population.

Yep about time the "younger generation"  get off  their butts. I am proud of my contribution  to the retirement of the Greatest generation.