Booking on Agoda, pay later?

proton

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You wrote that you have never in 15 years in Thailand had an amount blocked on your credit or debit card for ancillary charges which is then cleared/settled on check-out. I wrote that it is common for hotels to do that, and that you would not be aware of their policy because they didn't tell you. Often they don't, which is a bit sneaky. Is it clear now?

In Thailand no its not common. 100+ hotels not happened. Last time was 20 years ago.

Not sure what your evidence is.

Lots of small hotels have no bar fridge items.

Lots of small hotels pay cash only.

Edited by bignok

10 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Yes, there is also the option to pay at the hotel. I've done that as well. Usually that has meant paying the quoted charges upon check-in, not check-out as well as having an amount blocked on your credit or debit card for ancillary charges which is then cleared/settled on check-out.

Blocking an amount on my credit card happened to me at the Bangkok Peninsular last year, normally I give cash for the deposit. Credit card company stopped my credit card over it and had to get another one in the end, cash in future.

29 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

In my 40+ years of travel I've rarely had anything else. They usually don't tell you what they do, which is why you are unaware of it.

When checking in at hotels in the US, I've frequently been asked to agree to have an amount blocked on my credit or debit card. I don't recall this happening here in Thailand, but it may well be the case that they did so and did not tell me.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

wrote that it is common for hotels to do that, and that you would not be aware of their policy because they didn't tell you. Often they don't, which is a bit sneaky. Is it clear now?

Doesnt make sense. I can check bank account in 2 seconds on an app. They also can't do it unless you give them a card.

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Blocking an amount on my credit card happened to me at the Bangkok Peninsular last year, normally I give cash for the deposit. Credit card company stopped my credit card over it and had to get another one in the end, cash in future.

5 star hotels are stricter with this. Their costs are higher. Head office rules.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Doesnt make sense. I can check bank account in 2 seconds on an app. They also can't do it unless you give them a card.

I've never used a hotel without using a credit card, directly or via a booking site. If you don't have one, which is surely rare these days, then they'll ask for a cash deposit. I'm staying at a hotel in Bangkok next month, booked on Agoda, and according to Trip Advisor they'll be asking for a deposit of 500 baht, I assume because Agoda don't give my CC details.

Your experience may differ, so there's no point in arguing about it. I'm just telling you what I've found in over 40 years of staying in hotels (for most of the year during a period of 15 years at one stage), ranging from 5 star to 2 star properties.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've never used a hotel without using a credit card, directly or via a booking site. If you don't have one, which is surely rare these days, then they'll ask for a cash deposit. I'm staying at a hotel in Bangkok next month, booked on Agoda, and according to Trip Advisor they'll be asking for a deposit of 500 baht, I assume because Agoda don't give my CC details.

Your experience may differ, so there's no point in arguing about it. I'm just telling you what I've found in over 40 years of staying in hotels (for most of the year during a period of 15 years at one stage), ranging from 5 star to 2 star properties.

500 baht sounds like a key deposit. Most hotels ask for 200 to 500 baht. Some don't.

40 years ago has no relevance to today.

Western hotels in the west are run differently to Thailand. 5 star hotels are run differently to 2,3 star places.

It usually costs 3% extra to pay a hotel direct via card. Cheaper to pay cash or pay Agoda via a card.

Edited by bignok

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Yet your info is incorrect.

I'm finished discussing with someone who has no knowledge of what I've done. where I've stayed or what each hotel's policy is. As I said, your experience might be different to mine. If you need to feel that you are right and I'm wrong, that's up to you. I really don't care.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'm finished discussing with someone who has no knowledge of what I've done. where I've stayed or what each hotel's policy is. As I said, your experience might be different to mine. If you need to feel that you are right and I'm wrong, that's up to you. I really don't care.

You should know 500 baht is a key deposit.

10 hours ago, bignok said:

If using card via agoda pay in baht not western $ for best deal. Ex rates poor if you select western $.

If you need any hotel tips ask. 

Yeah, that's the kind of games Agoda plays. It always tries to trick me into paying in euros. And when I force the payment in baht, Agoda jacks up the baht price without warning, so it tends to be a lose-lose situation for me. Apparently it does so because in their small print, there's a provision for a fee if the local price is in a currency different from your credit card currency. I've tried to circumvent all this by paying with my Thai debit card but - lo and behold - Agoda rejects my Thai credit card. So with Agoda I'm screwed whatever I do.

That's why I've booked on Trip dot com more often of late. Although usually a tick more expensive than Agoda, Trip doesn't play games and is always cheaper than Booking dot com. Note that Booking dot com doesn't play games although the mother company is the same as Agoda's. From what I understood this is because Booking is subject to EU regulations while Agoda with head office in Singapore is not. EU regulations do not allow additional fees to be added at the last click.

Edited by JackGats

29 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Yeah, that's the kind of games Agoda plays. It always tries to trick me into paying in euros. And when I force the payment in baht, Agoda jacks up the baht price without warning, so it tends to be a lose-lose situation for me. Apparently it does so because in their small print, there's a provision for a fee if the local price is in a currency different from your credit card currency. I've tried to circumvent all this by paying with my Thai debit card but - lo and behold - Agoda rejects my Thai credit card. So with Agoda I'm screwed whatever I do.

That's why I've booked on Trip dot com more often of late. Although usually a tick more expensive than Agoda, Trip doesn't play games and is always cheaper than Booking dot com. Note that Booking dot com doesn't play games although the mother company is the same as Agoda's. From what I understood this is because Booking is subject to EU regulations while Agoda with head office in Singapore is not. EU regulations do not allow additional fees to be added at the last click.

Give away 100 baht here and there it adds up. AAsia does the same. Book in local money.

9 hours ago, pomchop said:

front desk to extend and they quote u higher rate direct...so you go sit down in lobby and book with online giant at lower rate then walk back to front desk and all is fine.....

I e had that happen a few times… just logged on to Agoda and booked within minutes standing at check in counter… I’ve not used Agoda in awhile cause I’m retired .. in the past I was traveling on business 3 weeks a month…

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JackGats said:

Go to your settings and change the currency to "baht"... then you will be billed in "baht"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

I e had that happen a few times… just logged on to Agoda and booked within minutes standing at check in counter… I’ve not used Agoda in awhile cause I’m retired .. in the past I was traveling on business 3 weeks a month…

I have only met one hotel manager who could see the wisdom of offering the same price as their booking service... there has to be something wrong in the system that hotels are not willing to just match... so like you I stand there and book it thru the site... IMHO it's stupid.

On 8/22/2023 at 11:25 PM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I have used the pay later option on Agoda several times. I book through their website and not the app on my phone.

My card is debited automatically on the date specified on the booking, which is usually a few days or so prior to the check-in date.

Same for me. Pay later is "automatically" taken from my account 3 - 5 days before checkin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Go to your settings and change the currency to "baht"... then you will be billed in "baht"

Of course. Easy peasy. Only Agoda then doesn't give me their initially advertised baht price. They add a percentage to the initially advertised baht price some point before I send the payment on its way. So I'm back to square one as though I was paying in euros.

Another thing: sometimes I stumble upon an Agoda bargain price on Google (ie not on the Agoda app nor on the Agoda browser website) and then proceed to try and book at said Google bargain price. But Agoda refuses to grant me the bargain price. Agoda profiles customers and tailors prices accordingly. They have me down as a good payer and deny me bargains. I've booked prices on Agoda through a friend of mine whom Agoda have in their system as a cheapskate. He gets the Google Agoda bargain price for me. Often 20% cheaper than what Agoda (app or browser) are willing to give me.

3 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

I have only met one hotel manager who could see the wisdom of offering the same price as their booking service... there has to be something wrong in the system that hotels are not willing to just match... so like you I stand there and book it thru the site... IMHO it's stupid.

Could it be that hotels have an agreement with the platforms that they are not allowed to mach? Like if they matched and Agoda & Co got wind of it, Agoda & Co would withdraw their custom, which would be worse for the hotels than miss out on a few walk-in customers. Platforms have become the bread and butter of hotels.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I now pay when I book on Agoda in Australian dollars. Set price. No issues.
If you pay later they often charge you in a different currency at a less than perfect rate and they specifically  add a 5 per cent fee. It is in the terms and conditions but not otherwise noted. Could not see someone mention that so far.  
So save and pay up front.
For my recent trips Agoda way cheaper than the main other options.

You are losing 5% not paying in baht.

On 8/24/2023 at 10:43 AM, JackGats said:

Could it be that hotels have an agreement with the platforms that they are not allowed to mach? Like if they matched and Agoda & Co got wind of it, Agoda & Co would withdraw their custom, which would be worse for the hotels than miss out on a few walk-in customers. Platforms have become the bread and butter of hotels.

They can match but not go under in some countries. Regional laws. 

11 hours ago, bignok said:

You are losing 5% not paying in baht.

Not sure. Paying in AUD in the first instance seems to often get you as good as price that is available. They may have special deals for some locations. Once I looked up from the US site and the price in USD was relatively a lot more. 
I mentioned this before, but I find it is sometimes say 10 per cent cheaper to search a comparison site first, then  choose Agoda rather than going to Agoda first. Perceived competition, cookies, and location etc means the prices can change all the time. I have cancelled and rebooked at a lower price shortly after and Agoda don’t seem to care. 

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Not sure. Paying in AUD in the first instance seems to often get you as good as price that is available. They may have special deals for some locations. Once I looked up from the US site and the price in USD was relatively a lot more. 
I mentioned this before, but I find it is sometimes say 10 per cent cheaper to search a comparison site first, then  choose Agoda rather than going to Agoda first. Perceived competition, cookies, and location etc means the prices can change all the time. I have cancelled and rebooked at a lower price shortly after and Agoda don’t seem to care. 

I'm sure have tested it. They charge 5% on conversions. Always select local money. Check price in $ then click baht, pay for it. Check statement. You just saved 5%.

30 minutes ago, bignok said:

I'm sure have tested it. They charge 5% on conversions. Always select local money. Check price in $ then click baht, pay for it. Check statement. You just saved 5%.

I did an experiment for a basic hotel I stay at sometimes near airport. 1140 baht on Agoda. 51 AUD. I think that works out the same. Then I went to TripAdvisor and put in same dates and picked Agoda. 890 baht or 40 AUD. I think AUD same as THB but see difference if book by TripAdvisor. The 5 per cent is added if pay later only I think. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I did an experiment for a basic hotel I stay at sometimes near airport. 1140 baht on Agoda. 51 AUD. I think that works out the same. Then I went to TripAdvisor and put in same dates and picked Agoda. 890 baht or 40 AUD. I think AUD same as THB but see difference if book by TripAdvisor. The 5 per cent is added if pay later only I think. 

5% added now. All currency conversions. Hotels want baht not $.

Ive tested this 20 times. Argue if want but I know it works. Been to 33 cities now.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

5% added now. All currency conversions. Hotels want baht not $.

Ive tested this 20 times. Argue if want but I know it works. Been to 33 cities now

The site says they add 5 per cent if ultimate charge is different to display currency. So in Australia my display currency is AUD and if I pay right away in AUD no 5 per cent. I don’t think Agoda  automatically charge 5 per cent if I buy a hotel in Thailand and pay AUD.  They didn’t in my example where exchange rate is around 22.5. If I pay later they change it to USD or other currency and add 5 per cent.  I see the logic of why what you are saying would make sense and am not arguing as happy to save a further 5 per cent if possible. Examples might help bear it out if you can provide them. 

10 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

The site says they add 5 per cent if ultimate charge is different to display currency. So in Australia my display currency is AUD and if I pay right away in AUD no 5 per cent. I don’t think Agoda  automatically charge 5 per cent if I buy a hotel in Thailand and pay AUD.  They didn’t in my example where exchange rate is around 22.5. If I pay later they change it to USD or other currency and add 5 per cent.  I see the logic of why what you are saying would make sense and am not arguing as happy to save a further 5 per cent if possible. Examples might help bear it out if you can provide them. 

False. The hotel in Thailand gets baht. Agoda charges you in AUD, pays them baht. They charge 4 to 5% to do this. Otherwise Agoda lose money via currency spread.

I can only give you the facts. I can't make you use common sense to understand it.

There is no such thing as 1 exchange rate. There is buy and sell rates. Agoda HAS TO CHARGE A FEE to cover the spread, otherwise they lose.

Think about it.