Is there such a thing as pre paying for a funeral in Chiang Mai…?

mikey88

59 minutes ago, mikey88 said:

Don’t mean to be morbid but….just thinking ahead…..does such a thing exist here. Something simple ….

No need to pay in advance. Recent thread about economical cremations. Apparently, temple will cremate (only) for 10,000 baht. What puts the price up is the number of guests, number of days and amount of food and drink you provide beforehand. However, that's up to you (or your Mrs) as they say.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

No need to pay in advance. Recent thread about economical cremations. Apparently, temple will cremate (only) for 10,000 baht. What puts the price up is the number of guests, number of days and amount of food and drink you provide beforehand. However, that's up to you (or your Mrs) as they say.

What puts the price up is the deceased persons weight , it takes more wood , fuel and time to cremate larger people , so the bigger the person the more cremations cost 

10 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

What puts the price up is the deceased persons weight , it takes more wood , fuel and time to cremate larger people , so the bigger the person the more cremations cost 

Just request medium/rare! 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, brommers said:

I am so fat there is a danger of bursting into a huge ball of flame and cremating the temple. But by then it's not my problem 555.

Do you remember the news item about cremating fat people in the West? Apparently, molten fat leaks out of the cremators and floods the crematoria operators room. Absolutely a health and safety hazzard! 

• Confused 2

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You can prepay for whatever you want done (very simple no problem if desired) , including paperwork with your Embassy, with these folk

https://www.amarinternational.com/index.html

However if you have any Thai family etc what you want/think necessary may be overridden by Thai customs. bets to talk with them (if applicable)

Thanks very much for this…

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thanks for that….

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 9:59 PM, Sheryl said:

You can prepay for whatever you want done (very simple no problem if desired) , including paperwork with your Embassy, with these folk

https://www.amarinternational.com/index.html

However if you have any Thai family etc what you want/think necessary may be overridden by Thai customs. bets to talk with them (if applicable)

USeful link thanks, however I see it mostly useful for repatriations. If you live and die in Thailand and don't mind this being your final resting place, either you are alone and then frankly who cares what happens "after", or you have dear friends or family and they should be able to take care of everything without calling in some outside company who would certainly increase the costs considerably.

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Following up on the (jokes I hope) about fat and weight, a serious reminder: if you have some electronic device implanted, e.g. pacemaker, it should be removed before cremation. Or it will explode not so nicely.

When my Mum died 10 years ago in UK, the undertaker asked me if she had a pacemaker fitted? I told him she had. He said that as she had died in hospital the mortuary may have already removed it, however, if they hadn't, he would do so. He told me that they are recycled and used for animals. It crossed my mind that he might have been joking!   

Don't prepay. That's not going to end well. Thailand is a country of show me the goods - I give you the money.

If some reason the costs are up they will ask for more this is absolutely guaranteed. So you're trusting someone with a down payment for years to make good on it and not stress out your loved ones. Naw... A stack of 100,000 notes will do just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

USeful link thanks, however I see it mostly useful for repatriations. If you live and die in Thailand and don't mind this being your final resting place, either you are alone and then frankly who cares what happens "after", or you have dear friends or family and they should be able to take care of everything without calling in some outside company who would certainly increase the costs considerably.

Good point you have raised. Those of us who live alone (whilst in Thailand and maybe also when visiting our home Countries), need to give thought about how to promptly raise the alarm when we pass. I for one wouldn't wish to inflict the usual scenario of a horrible smell and a house full of bluebottles upon those required to break in, report my death and perform an 'extreme'  clean up.

Edited by The Fugitive

On 8/25/2023 at 10:33 PM, Sheryl said:

Despite the name, this company does not handle only -- or even mostly -- repatriations.

They can arrange whatever is desired including completely no frills simple local  cremation. I know several people for whom that was done.  Their fees are reasonable (possibly less all in than your friends/family might be able to obtain negotiating with a temple on their own) and most importantly they will handle matters with the relevant  Embassy (body cannot be released for cremation or burial without Embassy pre- approval) and if needed, obtain necessary documentation of death in applicable  language (will be necessary if there are any assets  or government death benefiis in/from home country). I have also known them to run intererence  with police at times (e.g. attempts to take body for autopsy at family's expense even  though cause of death was known and patient under doctors care for  terminal illness).

But suit yourself. OP specifically asked for a way to pre-pay/ pre-arrange and this company offers that. 

Do they have a Chiang Mai presence that you know of?

Or do we deal only with Australia? 

On 8/25/2023 at 10:33 PM, Sheryl said:

Despite the name, this company does not handle only -- or even mostly -- repatriations.

They can arrange whatever is desired including completely no frills simple local  cremation. I know several people for whom that was done.  Their fees are reasonable (possibly less all in than your friends/family might be able to obtain negotiating with a temple on their own) and most importantly they will handle matters with the relevant  Embassy (body cannot be released for cremation or burial without Embassy pre- approval) and if needed, obtain necessary documentation of death in applicable  language (will be necessary if there are any assets  or government death benefiis in/from home country). I have also known them to run intererence  with police at times (e.g. attempts to take body for autopsy at family's expense even  though cause of death was known and patient under doctors care for  terminal illness).

But suit yourself. OP specifically asked for a way to pre-pay/ pre-arrange and this company offers that. 

I never said that they do only repatriations, my first statement about someone dying alone stands, the last part about having it done by family or by an outside company is to be seen since your post contains "possibly", "might", "at times", and most importantly unspecified agent fees against unspecified fees for a home-arranged funeral in an unspecified city. Documentation about assets, sure! As I said, useful to know, but (I think) I was free to express my thoughts.

Out of this, have a good day.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

Sure, they happily let you prepay for anything you wish. The problem is just getting what you paid for later.

Sheryl has said that she knows (knew? unless she is a medium) several people for whom the service was provided. She does not mention any problems with the provided service, and her tone towards the company is positive.

Do you have a reason for casting doubts on the company? Or is that how you normally feel towards life?

If you have a real reason, please state it. If not, then stop displaying your inner vitriol and let people avail of a service that can be very useful.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Once I am dead, I will not care what anyone does with my body. It will be a husk with no life, apart from some intestinal bacteria.

Hope you dont feel the same for a loved one tho, grim things those hacksaws! 

11 hours ago, Wandr said:

Sheryl has said that she knows (knew? unless she is a medium) several people for whom the service was provided. She does not mention any problems with the provided service, and her tone towards the company is positive.

Do you have a reason for casting doubts on the company? Or is that how you normally feel towards life?

If you have a real reason, please state it. If not, then stop displaying your inner vitriol and let people avail of a service that can be very useful.

No, no real reason or experience in this specific area. However, I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years, and knows how hard it is to get what you pre-pay for in general. Maybe this company is good. I don´t know. I only based my comment on life experience of more than 20 years in the country.

Besides that, you can take your tone and arrogant reply and file in a dark place.

1 hour ago, Gottfrid said:

I have lived in Thailand for over 20 years, and knows how hard it is to get what you pre-pay for in general.

I don’t have that problem and do not find it among folks I know.

Certainly one must be careful about prepaying and the terms of doing so.