Omega 3 index / which hospital in BKK can check it ?

fvw53

I have seen the very intersting discussion about Omega 3 fatty acids between Dr Bill Harris and Dr Ronda Patrick (503) Dr. Bill Harris on the Omega-3 Index: Increasing Omega-3 to Promote Longevity & Transform Health - YouTube

It is obvious that intake of omega 3 fatty acids is beneficial for the general health and particularly for the cardiovascular condition.

A study published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology found that Japanese men had an average omega-3 index of 11.3%, while American men had an average omega-3 index of 5.5% and it seems that the Japanese men - smoking and drinking -  have less heart problems than American men who have the same bad habits.   

My cardiologist does not react when I ask if he can check my Omega 3 Index and the reason could be that his hospital cannot do this test.

Can Forum members inform  if they have experience in this matter and eventually inform which hospital can check the Omega 3 Index?

• Confused 1

I watched one of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's videos on Omega 3 a while back.

As I recall, she recommended 4000 mg (4 grams) of Omega 3 daily.

The cost alone of taking that amount of Omega 3 supplements is exorbitant.

And I just felt there was something off about having to take so much Omega 3 supplementation, so I quit after only 1 week.

If don't trust this doctor's recommendations, not sure who I can trust on how much Omega 3 I should actually be consuming. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

It is obvious that intake of omega 3 fatty acids is beneficial for the general health and particularly for the cardiovascular condition.

Not obvious at all.

Plenty of studies that can't find this effect. 

• Thanks 1

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8066148/#:~:text=Blood levels of EPA and,optimum of 8–11%.

If I understand the above publication correctly, the Omega-3 index is not something that is checked, but calculated with the values of three blood test measurements.

Where e is the level of EPA, d is the level of DHA, and t is the level of total fatty acids, preferably measured in erythrocytes, the Omega-3 Index is (e+d)/t

https://omegaquant.com/what-is-the-omega-3-index/

Edited by Puccini
added the second link

10 hours ago, save the frogs said:

I watched one of Dr. Rhonda Patrick's videos on Omega 3 a while back.

As I recall, she recommended 4000 mg (4 grams) of Omega 3 daily.

The cost alone of taking that amount of Omega 3 supplements is exorbitant.

And I just felt there was something off about having to take so much Omega 3 supplementation, so I quit after only 1 week.

If don't trust this doctor's recommendations, not sure who I can trust on how much Omega 3 I should actually be consuming. 

I import top quality Omega 3 from the USA : I take daily one capsule 1280 mg Omega 3 (with 650 mg of DHA and 450 mg of EPA) in the triglyceride form which has much higher bioavailability then the cheaper ester form. Cost price : 2200 Baht for 120 capsules.  Next to this I eat also twice a week one can of Ayam sardines in virgin olive oil (59 Baht per can). I don't think I should increase except if my Omega 3 Index is below 8 %

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1