Where I live Ive noticed more locals are not obsessed with wearing the facial mask anymore. But some still are.

On 8/29/2023 at 8:09 AM, BritManToo said:

Not weird, Thais need to be told what to do by their bigwigs.

Until someone tells them different they'll obey the last order.

you don;t understand thai culture, what's making them all wear masks is the mentality of not wanting to be different, wanting to fit in, there is an ingrained fear of independent thinking and acting. not all thais are like this, but the vast majority are.

12 hours ago, it is what it is said:

you don;t understand thai culture, what's making them all wear masks is the mentality of not wanting to be different, wanting to fit in, there is an ingrained fear of independent thinking and acting. not all thais are like this, but the vast majority are.

There's that cultural hegemony, race supremacy delusion again. Put a sock in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adventurer1 said:

Obsessed, you idiot ? Your stupidity is showing you fool. Many Westerners are clever enough to still wear masks. Masks are cool, unlike you. 

Come on. We just had holiday in Switzerland. NO ONE was wearing a mask. 

My mate in oz says no one is wearing them. 

How can you say westerners are clever enough to still wear them....

1 hour ago, Adventurer1 said:

Obsessed, you idiot ? Your stupidity is showing you fool. Many Westerners are clever enough to still wear masks. Masks are cool, unlike you. 

Not really... 

Go through any major airport in the world and see how many people are not wearing masks. 

Go to London, Paris, New York, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Dubai, Istanbul etc...  there is extremely little mask wearing if any.

Thus your comment 'many Westerners are clever enough to still wear masks' is an utter fabrication of your imagination and completely false. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR...  the degree of conformity described is a factual observation many have made.

Having asked numerous Thai's why they still wear a mask, the answer is usually that they are not sure and because everyone else is. 

Ask they why they don't take off the mask and the answer is usually 'mai-dai'... push a little further and its because they don't want to be the only ones not wearing the mask. 

Call that 'race supremacy delusion' if you like...   but is it such if Thai's themselves have come up with the exact same answers ???

I will call it delusional. If you really believe you can stereotype other nationalities you should never leave home.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I will call it delusional. If you really believe you can stereotype other nationalities you should never leave home.

Some stereotypes are valid though. I am French. When I hear people say the French never smile and are tight with their money, I go "yeah, sounds about right".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR...  the degree of conformity described is a factual observation many have made.

Having asked numerous Thai's why they still wear a mask, the answer is usually that they are not sure and because everyone else is. 

Ask they why they don't take off the mask and the answer is usually 'mai-dai'... push a little further and its because they don't want to be the only ones not wearing the mask. 

Call that 'race supremacy delusion' if you like...   but is it such if Thai's themselves have come up with the exact same answers ???

That is definitely true. Social conformity is prevalent here, and it isn't such a bad thing… in most cases.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not really... 

Go through any major airport in the world and see how many people are not wearing masks. 

Go to London, Paris, New York, Madrid, Rome, Berlin, Dubai, Istanbul etc...  there is extremely little mask wearing if any.

Thus your comment 'many Westerners are clever enough to still wear masks' is an utter fabrication of your imagination and completely false. 

I have to agree with you. In fact if you wear a mask in many western cities people think you are strange. My mate in oz says no one is wearing them. Was in Europe recently. No one wearing. Only saw a thai family wearing them in Budapest. Thats it. 

2 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

I have to agree with you. In fact if you wear a mask in many western cities people think you are strange. My mate in oz says no one is wearing them. Was in Europe recently. No one wearing. Only saw a thai family wearing them in Budapest. Thats it. 

I'd agree with you but we'd both be wrong.

French health minister urges mask wearing in case of small symptom of COVID-19

France records slight increase in COVID-19 cases recently, mandatory use of face mask is not yet in sight, says Aurelien Rousseau

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/french-health-minister-urges-mask-wearing-in-case-of-small-symptom-of-covid-19/2973053

It may be time to break out the masks against Covid, some experts say

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/23/health/masks-covid-surge-wellness/index.html

New Covid wave has begun and masks should be worn again, scientists warn

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/new-variant-covid-mask-rules-b2395154.html

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:26 AM, ozimoron said:

It isn't flawed. Wearing a mask is a conscious decision, therefore willful. Stop suggesting that people shouldn't wear m,asks for covid. That's mouth breather stuff and utterly misinformed..

Maybe that's just your opinion " mouth breather" keep drilling it in , but it goes on deaf healthy ears. 

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Now that is delusional....  Stereotypes originate from observation.

As they are stereotypes they are not applicable to every individual, however, they are applicable in aggregate.

It is obvious by this stage that it is you who is delusional and want your belief that Covid is still a major world wide issue to be true. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 1:10 AM, TravelerEastWest said:

Much more than 5% are in high risk group over 60 with diabetes etc. Just curious are you saying those in a  high risk group are crazy for protecting themselves?

I said 5% of people. Also what are they protecting themselves from? Did these same people all wear masks four years ago? I'd say a HUGE majority did not. 

A new study quoting epidemiologist Tom Jefferson demonstrates that masks don't work, and of course Fauci is doing his best to justify his actions on the matter. It would be funny if the implications weren't so serious.

The piece quotes lead study author Tom Jefferson, an Oxford epidemiologist, as saying: “There is just no evidence that [masks] make any difference. Full stop.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/dr-fauci-covid-masks-cochrane-review-b2404761.html

3 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

A new study quoting epidemiologist Tom Jefferson demonstrates that masks don't work, and of course Fauci is doing his best to justify his actions on the matter. It would be funny if the implications weren't so serious.

The piece quotes lead study author Tom Jefferson, an Oxford epidemiologist, as saying: “There is just no evidence that [masks] make any difference. Full stop.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/dr-fauci-covid-masks-cochrane-review-b2404761.html

So masks don't work tell me why doctors always wear masks if they don't work?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

45 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

The results of the study are completely misrepresented. If you bother to actually click through to the actual study and read the authors conclusions it just says the quality of the evidence in the studies they looked at was too low to draw conclusions. It was a meta study studying other studies.

Let me quote the important parts:

The high risk of bias in the trials, variation in outcome measurement, and relatively low adherence with the interventions during the studies hampers drawing firm conclusions.

There is uncertainty about the effects of face masks. The low to moderate certainty of evidence means our confidence in the effect estimate is limited, and that the true effect may be different from the observed estimate of the effect.

It then closes by saying that we need better randomly controlled trials to get proper data.

This was then spun to say masks are not effective which is dishonest at best.

Don't believe me? Here is what Cochrane who published the study themselves had to say.

Karla Soares-Weiser, Editor-in-Chief of the Cochrane Library, has responded on behalf of Cochrane:

Many commentators have claimed that a recently-updated Cochrane Review shows that 'masks don't work', which is an inaccurate and misleading interpretation.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 11:50 PM, advancebooking said:

Personally, I haven't worn a mask for yonks. Only when I walk into a private hospital when someone asks me to wear one will I do so. 

I think its ridiculous to be wearing one day in day out. The threat of the chinese virus is over.  I recently paid a sign guy to erect a vinal sign on our building. Towards the end of the job he saw me walking towards him and he put on his mask. I hung around until it was finished. He had a long neck of beer with him. Took a drink and put his mask back on. I lost respect for him. Thought he was an idiot. Is he that paranoid to catch a virus (from me)

We have a busy small business. Ive noticed half the customers that walk in dont wear them which is good. I sit at reception not wearing one of course. 

I think its quite weird that many thais are still wearing them when majority of population in western countries are clearly not. 

Me thinks one trusts ones own thinking too much. People are generally a lot happier if they let others go about their own business and pay more attention to their own.

Rational people take advice from persons recognized as authorities, experts and Doctors in their field. Personally, I feel that the Thai people show great respect for one another (and farangs) by wearing masks. Wearing a mask to a rational person says to others "I may be sick and want to protect you from my infection if I am". Basically wearing a mask says. I CARE ABOUT YOU. The Japanese have been doing this for decades. If a Japanese person is sick they wear a mask out of respect for others. The don't want to get OTHER people sick. It's a great show of respect for others. Not wearing a mask especially when one is sick with an air bourne pathogen like Covid shows lack of respect for others and is a very basic demonstration of self-centeredness.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Love It 1

49 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

The results of the study are completely misrepresented. If you bother to actually click through to the actual study and read the authors conclusions it just says the quality of the evidence in the studies they looked at was too low to draw conclusions. It was a meta study studying other studies.

Let me quote the important parts:

It then closes by saying that we need better randomly controlled trials to get proper data.

This was then spun to say masks are not effective which is dishonest at best.

Don't believe me? Here is what Cochrane who published the study themselves had to say.

Karla Soares-Weiser, Editor-in-Chief of the Cochrane Library, has responded on behalf of Cochrane:

|...] it just says the quality of the evidence in the studies they looked at was too low to draw conclusions.[...]

That's good enough for me.

19 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

|...] it just says the quality of the evidence in the studies they looked at was too low to draw conclusions.[...]

That's good enough for me.

So a lack of evidence is evidence for you?

Like... "I looked into a dark room and didn't see anything, therefore the room is empty."?

Edited by eisfeld
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

So a lack of evidence is evidence for you?

Like... "I looked into a dark room and didn't see anything, therefore the room is empty."?

Never breathed my own carbon dioxide and never will.

I'm with Fauci on this one:

Dr. Anthony Fauci wrote in February 2020 that store-bought face masks would not be very effective at protecting against the COVID-19 pandemic and advised a traveler not to wear one.

https://www.newsweek.com/fauci-said-masks-not-really-effective-keeping-out-virus-email-reveals-1596703

On 8/31/2023 at 5:07 PM, advancebooking said:

Come on. We just had holiday in Switzerland. NO ONE was wearing a mask. 

My mate in oz says no one is wearing them. 

How can you say westerners are clever enough to still wear them....

You managed to see EVERY person in Switzerland while you were there on vacation? That's awesome!

Your Aussie mate can see clear across the Nullarbor and way up the Cape York? That's amazing!

Is he clever like you as well?

Edited by NanLaew