1st inpatient experience tonight

SunnyinBangrak

Treatment? Or Surgery?

You expect to be hospitalized for how many days?

On arrival, tell the staff you are very nervous (thai: 'groa mak') or have very low pain treshold.

Don't be afraid to ask for medication to calm your nerves. Use translate ahead of arrival, so you can show the staff your request, asap.

Morphine by IV, normally 2-4mg is available, also Fentanyl in extreme cases. The later will guaranteed make you pain free, if 2 doses of morphine didn't.

Communicate with the staff, if you feel extreme pain, tell the staff

(Thai: 'jep mak') / ('poot maak') (not pud maak) and point to the area of pain.

Had many surgeries myself, and can only praise the medical staff for patient care. Surgery outcome however, is not always given.

Welcome to PM me if any questions.

Moderator @Sheryl is this forums medical expert, with lots of good advice. She might be around soon.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Shop mak said:

Communicate with the staff, if you feel extreme pain, tell the staff

(Thai: 'jep mak') / ('poot maak') (not pud maak) and point to the area of pain.

How will he understand what they say back to him??? ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2baht said:

How will he understand what they say back to him??? ????

OP has 5k posts here, he might be able to speak understand some thai. Else they find their best speaking nurse or doctor. If all other fails, translate can be a hit or miss.

The most important for OP seems to be able to communicate that his nerves are on a all time high. Not unusual, and medical staff are used to this.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Take entertainment. Computer, Kindle, music, whatever. There may or may not be WiFi, find out first in case you need to hotspot with your phone. Take extra chargers for everything and a multi-tap extension.

Take packaged snacks, the meals are hit or miss.

You have never been to Samitiwej Hospital have you? It will be very good and very deluxe service. For food you have a choice of Thai, Western Japanese, or Muslim. Every nurse will speak English well. Good luck to the OP. I also hope your insurance covers the bill. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great hospital. Like Bumrungrad for 20%  off.

If you were living in Trump Trash USA, you couldn't afford it.

He wants to kill you. You want him to kill you.

I'm good with that, even tho, technically speaking, I don't actually want to kill you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

About to go in for the start of treatment. Will be my first overnight stay, the hospital is Samitivej. Anyone have any tips or hints or experiences to share? Freely admitting to being beyond nervous

I do not know the hospital, I have stayed in both private and general hospitals, both good experiences, at general hospitals the relatives usually sleep under/side of bed. Try not to worry, in my view equally as competent as the NHS if not better 

16 hours ago, Denim said:

Watch out for the nurses trying to give you a bed bath. Insist on this being done by a real nurse . They tried to fob me off with one of the cleaners using marigolds but I insisted she wasn't qualified and I got a prettier one.

Wire brush and Detol?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Denim said:

Watch out for the nurses trying to give you a bed bath. Insist on this being done by a real nurse . They tried to fob me off with one of the cleaners using marigolds but I insisted she wasn't qualified and I got a prettier one.

Those toilet cleaner brushes can wreak havoc.????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The staff at Samitivej, nurses included will all speak English - he has no worries from that perspective. 

In choosing one of the best hospitails in Thailand, the Op will be in very good hands and will be made comfortable. 

Answering what to expect is a difficult one because we do not know the Ops procedure. 

What I an offer is that the room will be private, comfortable, with a private bathroom etc.

Nurses will be in to check on him regularly and respond to the 'call button' quickly. 

There will also be a sofa in the room on which a guest can stay (for free), if the Op wants a guest to assist. 

Food is reasonable, but he can also order food from outside if he so wishes. 

The room also has (instant) coffee and tea making facilities. 

The room will have TV with a number of international channels. 

The room will have Fast Wifi internet - the Op can watch Netflix, chat on this forum etc... 

The treatment from Dr's will be professional and they will communicate well. 

The specific details of the treatment aside, the Op will come out of this having had a favourable experiences (as favourable as hosiptial experiences an be anyway). 

Upon departure, payment is slow, so get them to get ahead of the game, otherwise the Op could be waiting hours to check out on departure day (very frustrating).

Sounds almost as good as Thaksin's room :giggle: 

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1