The tastiest apples?

Ombra

I used to love apples, but over the past few decades they seem to have lost a lot of taste as growers prioritize appearance and shelf-life. They look beautiful and they are usually juicy, but for me they compare poorly with what I used to eat in the UK in the 1960s. I am surprised at the variety available in the big supermarkets, but I have been disappointed with the ones that I've tried. Could someone please suggest a variety that is worth eating? 

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.homefortheharvest.com/best-tasting-apples/#:~:text=Some of the best-tasting,a few months of harvest.

But flavor is not just about the variety, but how it is grown.  You're not likely to find an organic, high nutrient density, soil food web conscious, regenerative ag apple grower in Prachuap Khiriikhan or anywhere in Thailand. The supermarkets will have imports that are grown like you say, for appearance and shelf-life.  Look for a special order. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Anyone ever seen Bramley cooking apples for sale in Thailand or a decent alternative?

I would say no, the only hope would be the Paragon in Bangkok, do not even think what they would cost.

An alternative some Grany Smiths I have brought can be a bit on the tart side they could be used, but thing about Bramley's is that when cooked they will go down, ideal for apple sauce, I would have my doubts if any eating apples would made a sauce, you could try.

3 minutes ago, kickstart said:

I would say no, the only hope would be the Paragon in Bangkok, do not even think what they would cost.

An alternative some Grany Smiths I have brought can be a bit on the tart side they could be used, but thing about Bramley's is that when cooked they will go down, ideal for apple sauce, I would have my doubts if any eating apples would made a sauce, you could try.

That's what I have used in the past, Granny Smiths, they make a half decent apple sauce tbh but fail on the Apple pie or Crumble front. I have found some Apple sauce from Germany in jars which is ok for pies etc, but can't remember where I got it from, probably Tops or Macro.

Back in Scotland I had a Discovery apple tree. It took 15 years of growth before it suddenly started to produce a large crop. The fruits were delicious and I sent half a dozen to my grandchildren in Chiang mai. I was immediately ordered to send more and I eventually sent 6 Kg in 2 batches.

Sadly I no longer have access to them and my attempt to grow trees in Thailand have failed miserably.

PS. Discovery apples do not keep well.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Fuji, Braeburn, Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, Cortland, Jonathan, Gala, McIntosh, Golden and Red Delicious,Macoun, Pink Lady, are all varieties I've tried i can think of, and all are excellent, if you can find them. Apples can grow here but the trees need cold winters.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Maybole said:

Back in Scotland I had a Discovery apple tree. It took 15 years of growth before it suddenly started to produce a large crop. The fruits were delicious and I sent half a dozen to my grandchildren in Chiang mai. I was immediately ordered to send more and I eventually sent 6 Kg in 2 batches.

Sadly I no longer have access to them and my attempt to grow trees in Thailand have failed miserably.

PS. Discovery apples do not keep well.

Most European top fruit trees will not grow in Thailand just too hot, about the only place would be on top pf a mountain in the North of the country.

Almost like trying to grow potatoes, which I have tried, and they never even put any shots out, also like trying to grow tropical fruits in our temperate climate. 

Ambrosia

This apple is a homegrown original and we’re pretty proud of it around here. It was discovered by the Mennells in the 1990s in Cawston B.C. as a chance seedling. No one really knows its parentage. The original orchard was full of Jonagolds and had previously been home to both Golden Delicious and Red Delicious trees.

Originated in Canada, can you get them over here ??, probably grown else were now and imported into Thailand, ??  that is what the OP asked, IMO anything with Golden delicious in not my idea of a good apple, in the UK they come from France, Le Crunch, if you can remember the TV advert.