Vietnam Trip For 1 Month.......Recommendations?

Troy Tempest

11 hours ago, geisha said:

You can enter and leave anywhere any how. I’ve left by boat , and the border crossing into Cambodia. at Ha Tien .,PS visit the Central Post Office in Saigon, it’s beautiful and built in the 1980s. The city cathedral is opposite * Notre Dame*. 

1880s.

• Thumbs Up 1

Phu Quoc is a sad example "Development gone wild!"

Still worth to go and very inexpensive. 2 yrs ago I stayed at "Nhat Lan resort", $22/nite, close to air port. They got own small beach. Very nice for daily morning swim w fresh water shower.

Food was boring and bad (well, near all places are not good coming from Thailand and I am nor a foodie..). Very hard to find even simple chicken! They eat fattening pork..

Many Russian tourists but no problem. Menus often only in Vietnamese and Russian ????

Dalat has very  nice lake 5km away - Tuyen Lam Lake.  Very nice area with nice villas. Not cheap but reasonable. The lake in town's dirty... but good to walk around. Again, can't find good food to buy like in Thailand. Locals cook and eat well but restaurants are lousy and not clean. Lots of dogs too. The best is cheap rice cakes on the street corners!

Vietnam is a great place to live "like a millionaire"; My 2 week trip was 12 000 000 VND = about $ 500 that time.

Last time I saw those numbers was in Peru... where I had many 500 000 Inti bills worth maybe $ 20 ????

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Phu Quoc is a sad example "Development gone wild!"

Still worth to go and very inexpensive. 2 yrs ago I stayed at "Nhat Lan resort", $22/nite, close to air port. They got own small beach. Very nice for daily morning swim w fresh water shower.

Food was boring and bad (well, near all places are not good coming from Thailand and I am nor a foodie..). Very hard to find even simple chicken! They eat fattening pork..

Many Russian tourists but no problem. Menus often only in Vietnamese and Russian ????

Dalat has very  nice lake 5km away - Tuyen Lam Lake.  Very nice area with nice villas. Not cheap but reasonable. The lake in town's dirty... but good to walk around. Again, can't find good food to buy like in Thailand. Locals cook and eat well but restaurants are lousy and not clean. Lots of dogs too. The best is cheap rice cakes on the street corners!

Vietnam is a great place to live "like a millionaire"; My 2 week trip was 12 000 000 VND = about $ 500 that time.

Last time I saw those numbers was in Peru... where I had many 500 000 Inti bills worth maybe $ 20 ????

Many thanks for your info.

I have heard conflicting stories about Phu Quoc, but I would like to go and take a look sometime.

Regarding VN food, I have watched many YouTube Vlogs and must admit that it looks very unappealing in the main.

Maybe a good way to lose weight on holiday! ????

35 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

Regarding VN food, I have watched many YouTube Vlogs and must admit that it looks very unappealing in the main.

Highlands coffee and baguette for $2 is a safe choice if worried.

I actually prefer Viet food to Thai food, but prefer Indian and Mexican.

Plenty of good Indian restaurants in VN and not expensive either.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Highlands coffee and baguette for $2 is a safe choice if worried.

I actually prefer Viet food to Thai food, but prefer Indian and Mexican.

Plenty of good Indian restaurants in VN and not expensive either.

Thanks BritMan......I have traveled around many countries in the world and enjoyed trying different foods, but VN food doesn't look that great to me.

As a Brit (English) too, I love Indian food...It's in our culture, but like most Thais I've spoken to my GF doesn't like Indian....I think partly because of some racial stereotyping and most say they just hate the smell. So when I eat it she declines, but then has the cheek to tell me my breath smells after....This is a lady who eats raw Garlic and often has Som Tam for brekky!

I love Mexican...That's a Given!

Traveled Europe extensively and will pretty much eat anything that they serve and enjoy it.

I will try some new dishes in VN for sure, but may be a good way to lose weight like I said? :thumbsup::smile:

I am certainly not going there for the food, but for New Travel Experiences, Beautiful scenery and Beautiful Girls....(Shhh! Don't tell the GF).

I will be going alone on a "Reccy" to see my mate in Saigon in November for a long weekend and plan on taking the GF next trip...Probably after Songkran!

Edited by Troy Tempest
  • Thumbs Up 1