Medical Diagnosis and Treatment

The Snark

This applies to any foreigner seeking medical treatment in a foreign country - Suggestions

Diagnostics

• If at all possible, obtain a preliminary diagnosis from your home country
  • Purpose of each diagnostic - from simple lab analysis to CT Scans and Angioscopy et al
  • Obtain at least two independent diagnosis from different hospitals and physicians
  • Find a third physician, again independent that you have a solid sound reason to trust, to compare the results of the two or more diagnosis.
  • Put on your detective hat. You are looking for discrepancies between both the diagnostic procedures, the results, and the physicians recommendations for treatment.

If a discrepancy becomes obvious or even appears suspicious in any way, start over. with entirely different hospitals and physicians.

Treatment

As above, two or more independent medical authorities

1. Consult the physicians as to recommended treatment procedures and do comparisons

• Overall costs
  • Procedures to be performed - spelled out in detail
  • Length of the procedure - a time line
  • Duration of stay in the hospital
  • Follow up diagnostics and procedures
  •  Immediate and future prognosis

Fact: There is little difference between medical diagnostics and treatment, and buying a new or used car. Sales pitches are common. Buying accessories you will never need or use is common. Prices can different greatly from one dealership/hospital to another. Payment plans can be open ended. Warranties may not be worth the paper they are printed on.

And most importantly, as a citizen of a foreign country, you have little or no recourse if you get scammed. Even less with medical since physicians wear the hat of unimpeachable authorities. Only an expert witness of superseding medical authority testifying in a court can impeach a physician.

Myself: Retired. BME, Bio Medical Engineering degree. EMT II, ACLS instructor. Certified Nurses Aid.

And with all my training I've been royally scammed four times now. I write this in the hope that others don't get victimized as I have,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...