‘Russian-only’ businesses in Thailand’s Phuket spark backlash

webfact

58 minutes ago, Scottie12 said:

You couldn't be more wrong Dimitry,Phuket is a very expensive destination these days.

Compared to tourist destinations in Europe,USA etc.. ?  Certainly not , I was in the West Country (Cornwall) U.K. a week ago. WAY more expensive than Phuket. £2 can of Coke, £6 ice cream , £45 for fish and chips takeaway for 3 people. If your comparison is with rural thailand then that’s a misguided comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Jackbenimble said:

Thailand is also one of the few countries that issues VOA to Russians. Once here the TV can be switched to something more permanent. 

No, you are wrong. From March 2007 Russian citizens get visa exempt entrance into Thailand (30 days). 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

What did they expect?

Most of those Russian refugees are draft dodgers, so they are quite unsurprisingly able-bodied and of working age. The vast majority aren't rich, so they need to work to survive.

Sure, there are also bona-fide Russian tourists who now come to Thailand in larger numbers because they're no longer welcome where they used to holiday before. But they still have many options and aren't the ones those locals complain about.

"... working illegally." 

If it's illegal - arrest them, destroy their shops and ban them! 

As far as I remember it was Thailand itself to invite and welcome them because they were supposed to boost the economy. 

As long as Thai people could make a Baht out of them, they were regarded as a welcome victim. 

No, when they take over Thai jobs, it's time to complain. 

Get active and give a sh.... on the "good reputation"! 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dmitry2222 said:

Actually Phuket and Turkey are just one of the cheapest directions for holidays. No need looking a political reasons.

I don't think so. But it depends which part of Russia to get to Thailand from.

From Moscow you can get hot deal for return airtickets on charter flights to Turkey for 130 USD, but to Phuket it's 300 USD - on "pirates travel" website.

(regular flights two times more expensive but much more safe and reliable).

Simple accommodation rent in Thailand is cheaper than in Moscow, food prices are maybe the same.

But the main problem with Thailand as long stay destination is the huge visa expenses not affordable for most of ordinary Russians.

As for a short package tour Dubai /Turkey/Egypt are much more cheaper than Thailand if to travel from Moscow (for Siberian and Far East Russian cities yes - Hainan, Vietnam, Thailand are the the most cheap short beach holiday destinations).

Anyway I think as mobilization is looming more and more Russians who can afford it will be going abroad including to Thailand - the political factor cannot be written off.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Modern Coding said:

Ugh... wait... foreigner owning business here in Thailand: hair salons, taxi firms,... aren't they supposed to be restricted to the Thais only??

I thought only Thais would be allowed to run these sorts of business, so how could Russian get the permits to run Thai-only businesses??

And please don't come with the common brown envelop explanation: the Labor Department has become very strict with this!

Regarding people working illegally: in that case, the Russians would have gotten their visa and work permits removed by the authorities. I mean, every foreign business owner knows that you need to have at least 4 Thais registered per foreign owner or employee, declare them every month for the Social Security and so on, yearly audit, half-year financial statement and so on... everything getting stricter...

So if the Russians in Phuket are running business illegally, how come they have not been kicked out yet?? I must have missed something...

2/10

41 minutes ago, Charlest1971 said:
56 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What "fact" is that?  Obviously, it is not a fact, there are only six countries that have banned Russian visitors.  Three others have issued bans only to Russians on tourist visas.

Expand  

There is a difference between a ban and not being welcome.

Thanks for that, I'd never have guessed.

Which countries have announced  officially that "Russian visitors are not welcome", then?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Allot of them are actually ukranians fleeing the draft etc..

Most ukranians speak russian, so allot of people confuse the two.

Actually the statistics on arrivals say that the ratio is about 50 to 1 in Russians to Ukrainians.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1