How To Stay for Another Year: Need Your Advice!

Situation:

• in and out of the country for the past three years (usually 3/6 months at a time)
  • just used a multiple-entry 6 months touristic visa from Jan-Jul
  • back in my home country for 3 months Jul-Oct
  • have Thai girlfriend, currently with me in my home country with a 3 months visa, so we have to go back in Thailand to stay together
  • planning on moving to Phuket so she can find a job there
  • not broke, but not rich enough to have access to Elite visas and such

First idea was to get an ED Visa to learn Thai (seriously, not just as a coverage), but during my research I read that Immigration is cracking down on ED visas and it's getting hard to get one.

I would be okay also with the Muay Thai as well (practiced for a couple of years already and also fought), but I'm not really into continuing fighting and making training a priority right now.

Does anyone have updated news or personal experience on this?

What alternatives I have to stay there for at least another year?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, swerve said:

Ed visa is a good idea.  The classes are quite fun.  Costs will vary.  Maybe up to 50K baht per year. The language skills you develop will be very useful for your time in Thailand.

What about all this talk about crackdowns on ED visas?

Is it really a thing?

• Confused 1

Just now, Faranguz said:

How would that work?

You get hitched to your GF then extend on the basis of being married to a Thai.

If your home country permits it (the UK no longer does, we just scraped in in 2004) you could get married there and get a non-O based on being married to a Thai.

53 minutes ago, Faranguz said:

Situation:

• in and out of the country for the past three years (usually 3/6 months at a time)
  • just used a multiple-entry 6 months touristic visa from Jan-Jul
  • back in my home country for 3 months Jul-Oct
  • have Thai girlfriend, currently with me in my home country with a 3 months visa, so we have to go back in Thailand to stay together
  • planning on moving to Phuket so she can find a job there
  • not broke, but not rich enough to have access to Elite visas and such

First idea was to get an ED Visa to learn Thai (seriously, not just as a coverage), but during my research I read that Immigration is cracking down on ED visas and it's getting hard to get one.

I would be okay also with the Muay Thai as well (practiced for a couple of years already and also fought), but I'm not really into continuing fighting and making training a priority right now.

Does anyone have updated news or personal experience on this?

What alternatives I have to stay there for at least another year?

What for if not working with not much money? Your gf wont get a good job if no connections

• Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Seems like an ED visa is your best / only option to stay long term unless you get married.  I would contact a school or two in Phuket and ask them if they think you can get an ED visa.  The school should be able to advise you.

If you haven't used your visa exempt entries by land yet this year, you can safely do that twice, and then extend 30 days each time.  That will give you 4 months to start with.

3 hours ago, bob smith said:

sick of this 'ed visa' bums.

the place is littered with em!

come on bob....how many other countries around the world do you often see mid 30's and 40's men enrolling in a local language course just to stay there. 

see you....im off to kick an empty can down the soi for fun to scare off the doggies.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1