Foreigners Laud Free Thai Visa Policy for Chinese tourists

webfact

Unfortunately the Thai resorts have been in free-fall for quite some-time. Like Blackpool UK - Benidorm Spain & Acapulco Mexico, the hay days are over. Like the mentioned, I'm sure they'll survive but the boom 90s are well and truly over no matter what they offer regarding visas.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Doesn't the same happen in Thailand?  With the non-chinese expats that use agents simply but can't afford to take over since they barely exist here on their pittance of their retirement that they can't even make the financials for visa.

Many Thais have Chinese origins, especially those in the north.  Thaksin being an example.  We knew quite a few in Chiang Mai when we lived there.  Settling in Thailand was bever a problem for the Chinese and some chose that option.  However now with the economic growth inside of China far outweighing that of Thailand, the attraction would  be considerably less than before.

But as always, people tend to over generalise when talking about different nationalities.  Not all Chinese tourists are in budget groups anymore.  Many are young professional families who stay at five star hotels and spend their money more freely than many other foreigners.  For these people offering free visas or visa waivers won't mean a thing.  It will to the budget traveler and tour companies though, they will welcome this rather desperate move by the Thai authorities to buoy up it's tourist numbers.  As the Chinese people now have the opportunity and money for foreign travel this is a no brainer for the "short termism solution"  that the Thais are so keen on.  

• Confused 1

The massive Chinese tour groups before Covid made up mainly of employer sponsered 

employees & families left little money in the country, Airfares, accommodation & even some restaurants along with chinese transport companies made sure the majority of monies repatriated home.

I am not talking about individual chinese travel for leisure or business, as they can spend well.

I like the Indian response to this problem of repatriation (export) of monies, 

they are going to tax at 20%. Very good idea

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:02 AM, jacko45k said:

Watch this space..... the devil is in the detail.

So far I am expecting them to be issuing VOA free of charge, ie not the usual 2000 baht cost. For China only...... That would still be the 15 day stay option with no extension. Tourist Visas would be different. 

I think there is more requirement of government process to get the Chinese onto the Visa Exempt list.

Indeed, the devil is certainly in the detail. Just because China is a VOA country does not mean that is how the majority enter the country.

People seem to forget the Thai E-visa platform was rolled out in China, they must have had a reason for that.

The articles refer to slow visa process, would that be VOA or E-visa?

Ridiculous headline, ludicrous statement from Kang. This is a continuation of the previous Thai govt aiding and abetting the Chinese takeover of the Thai economy and institutions. Money moving under the table in all directions. Thailand is becoming a Chinese colony. Very sad.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, webfact said:

has garnered appreciation from international stakeholders.

what affect/effect that has within foreign communities and/or international stakeholders, what kind of BS are they coming  up with

• Thumbs Up 1

well i guess the chinese tourist shops in city and nimman will be happy

as i head to 7-11 and old town to stock up on..

mama cups

medicine

durian

snail white

latex pillows

big sunglasses

sundresses

nike /adidas

NY yankee caps

seaweed chips

tom yum goong

bushels of shrimp

selfie sticks

pigeon feed

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

mama cups

medicine

durian

snail white

latex pillows

big sunglasses

sundresses

nike /adidas

NY yankee caps

seaweed chips

tom yum goong

bushels of shrimp

selfie sticks

pigeon feed

What about school girl outfits in Tesco, they lub those init. 

22 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

mama cups

medicine

durian

snail white

latex pillows

big sunglasses

sundresses

nike /adidas

NY yankee caps

seaweed chips

tom yum goong

bushels of shrimp