Phuket authorities dismiss concerns over rising Russian population and mafia claims

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The authorities to the people: We realize the Russians are not well liked and lack basic social skills. But, the Russians, Chinese, Indians, Malaysians and Arabs are all we have now. Very few Europeans, Australians, Kiwis, Americans and Canadians  are visiting now. The high airfares must be a deterrent. Are there other reasons? We don't know.

You don't have to like them. We work with what we got. Right? 

Very few Europeans, Australians, Kiwis, Americans and Canadians  are visiting now.

I'm a Canuck here and now but I'm thinking its got to do with the higher cost of living. Anyone who had a mortgage of 2-3 % and have to renew at 5-6 % is in for a shock along with the cost of everything else rising. On my 1st visit (1990) I never noticed many Indians, Chinese or Arabs.Now the demographic has changed dramatically.For the most part my drinking days are behind me so it really doesn't affect me.    

30 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

In some ways Thailand has become a safe haven for Russians as Argentina was in WW2 for German nazis. 

I met a Russian couple here in Phuket who were going to Argentina his wife was pregnant if the baby is born there will get a Argentinian passport and the parents,

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I was in Phuket recently. Seemed to be about 35% Russians (1% of them had social skills), 25% Chinese, 20% Indian and Malaysian, and the rest were mostly Arab. 

You may be right about Europe, the US and the rest. The cost of living has skyrocketed since covid. Many seem to be struggling. Plus airfares are so much higher. 

Go to Central in the evening you will see them all, 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The authorities to the people: We realize the Russians are not well liked and lack basic social skills. But, the Russians, Chinese, Indians, Malaysians and Arabs are all we have now. Very few Europeans, Australians, Kiwis, Americans and Canadians  are visiting now. The high airfares must be a deterrent. Are there other reasons? We don't know.

You don't have to like them. We work with what we got. Right? 

One friend of mine defined the Russian performance in Thailand as, you go to an all you can eat buffet, the Russians attack the food, fill their plates to the top and leave nothing for the other customers. So true... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

Of course they will say this....they have no choice  and everyone knows who run that island now.

Yes it is like a teenage girl telling her mom she is just a little bit pregnant,

ignoring it does not make it go away.

You will have to deal with it at some point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

How would you feel stupidfarang if you decided to live in a nice area in Phuket and then within a few months many young Russians started arriving in your little piece of Heaven? Russian shops began opening and selling Russian food. strangers walking up and down your Soi some even living next to you.

i would say boo hoo. 

substitute you for a thai person and the russians for farangs.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

This is about Russians not wanting to travel or not being welcome in Nato countries. So they go to places like Thailand instead.

Bingo!  Give that man a Kewpie Doll.  ????

4 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I have a long-term semi-detached house in Kamala and a Russian couple moved in next door at the beginning of the year - pleasant people and no problem at all.

What is so hard to believe about your post that some fruitcake has to laugh (emoji)?  Good thing hes not next door.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Was in CM Friday evening and less than 1/4 of the normal western tourists. Bars and restaurants closing before 10pm, looks like a financial meltdown for the Thai businesses.

Hardly anyone in Dash, the upper floor closed all evening, they shut around 9:30pm.

Thailand is a nation in reverse. It is moving backwards, and represents the polar opposite of progress on countless levels. It is simply NOT becoming a better version of itself. The environment, traffic and public safety, horrific law enforcement, corruption, air quality, etc. Add to that heinous luxury and wine taxes, and you have an environment wealthy tourists avoid like the plague. 

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is a nation in reverse. It is moving backwards, and represents the polar opposite of progress on countless levels. It is simply NOT becoming a better version of itself. The environment, traffic and public safety, horrific law enforcement, corruption, air quality, etc. Add to that heinous luxury and wine taxes, and you have an environment wealthy tourists avoid like the plague. 

Don't think anyone is avoiding Thailand, think the western middle class have just run out of spare cash.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's like deja vu all over again. I can remember when Russians were an important part of the Pattaya  economy, with Russian restaurants and menus in Russian everywhere.

Now they're back to a different reception.