Blue book to get a yellow book

22 minutes ago, arick said:

You Ban office has no idea what they are doing. Under the law you do not need a translation and a certified copy of your passport for God's sake they have a stamp from their own immigration of the country of Thailand in your passport already so why would you need a certified copy of your own passport when you already have a stamp from the officials of Thailand in your passport! 

The office is rubbish, they make it as difficult as possible so you go find an agent, for what? a yellow book? no thanks.

Here's another stupid requirement 

IMG_20220131_135124~5.jpg

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I've used the house blue book at immigration for residence certificate 

I think there may be some confusion. I was asking if it can be used instead of a residence certificate. For those things that a residence certificate is used for.

I can't seem to post this, as I can't "Select Forum" for some reason, so I'll tag on here:

A friend of mine, currently in the States, has held a Permanent Residency Permit for 6-7 years. He did everything in BKK and seems he is registered in his lawyers yellow book as living there. He is moving to Pattaya when he moves back in January.

Does he have to permanently do business on at BKK immi? Does he have to somehow change his official residence now to his PTY residence (yellow book to blue book?). Can Jomtien do the yearly report or does he always have to return to CW in BKK? He also needs a new driver's license. Can/must he do that in Pattaya, which is where he will live from now on?

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 8:40 PM, oxo1947 said:

It Seems there is never any 1 answer in Thailand --here in Issan , (Udon Thani) everything seems easy to get. Yellow book they just wanted 1 other Thai then my wife to say they know me.  Pink ID card - Take the photos-- go have lunch, come back big smile all fixed .

Good for you, and for Issan. Here is my experience today at Chom Thong, Bangkok.

Arrived with wife and 2 witnesses. Current PP, Old PP with Letter from Embassy; Kor Ror 3; Blue Book; Wifes ID; 3 Photos; TM30; Wifes Declaration, Translations of all Marriage Docs from MFA;

Refused;

Me-Can I ask why?

"I WANT PASSPORT GUARANTEE LETTER from British Embassy, or I not issue Yellow Book".

Me -You have this from British Embassy,

"I WANT PASSPORT GUARANTEE LETTER from British Embassy, or I not issue Yellow Book.

Me - OK Forget it.

This is the 3rd Time I have applied (Twice Pre Covid) and 3rd time refused for a DIFFERENT reason.  

Now, as far as I am concerned,  a Yellow Book is not an essential for MY stay here in Thailand., all I ever need (Even Posting a Letter) is my PP.

As @Arick says " Why Bother".. well I agree,  but,  the Mrs has been banging on about getting one , and now its finally put to bed, it aint goin to happen ! ????

Looks like I'll need a Divorce Lawyer , LOL

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al BB said:

Now, as far as I am concerned,  a Yellow Book is not an essential for MY stay here in Thailand.,

That's frustrating for you--I did get the same silliness when I lived in Pattaya for some years. Usually meant they would like some payment, but not always, sometimes just plain ignorant ---had a friend who wanted buy land in his wife name & to take out a usufruct. (not 100% good when its your wife) on some land further out. The Land office  that he went to had not even heard of usufruct, and when his lawyer started to explain it, the woman in charge just kept saying..." Oh I dont like that--"Oh that doesn't sound right" When the lawyer even said that he would fax her the Goverment details on  usufruct, she just kept repeating---"But I dont like it" ...Lawyers advice--try to find land somewhere else , its really not worth pursuing here.

Yer civil servants here---They can really make some things in life difficult

Yellow book--Pink card, does come quite handy, but if its that difficult to get where you are then --you can get by without it.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2023 at 10:57 PM, scorecard said:

I got lifetime PR 27 years ago, my name is in the standard dark blue cover Tabien Baan book.

If I understand correctly, once you have PR you no longer need a visa - correct? If so, is there also no requirement to prove your income anymore?

22 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

That's frustrating for you--I did get the same silliness when I lived in Pattaya for some years. Usually meant they would like some payment, but not always, sometimes just plain ignorant ---had a friend who wanted buy land in his wife name & to take out a usufruct. (not 100% good when its your wife) on some land further out. The Land office  that he went to had not even heard of usufruct, and when his lawyer started to explain it, the woman in charge just kept saying..." Oh I dont like that--"Oh that doesn't sound right" When the lawyer even said that he would fax her the Goverment details on  usufruct, she just kept repeating---"But I dont like it" ...Lawyers advice--try to find land somewhere else , its really not worth pursuing here.

Yer civil servants here---They can really make some things in life difficult

Yellow book--Pink card, does come quite handy, but if its that difficult to get where you are then --you can get by without it.

Thanks ! Just to outline the stupidity even further, The 1st time I applied, my sisiter in law, who is a Lawyer, came with me as one of my "Witnesses", She had to correct errors, the "officer" had made. Maybe thats on file,  and marked against me. Who knows.

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

If I understand correctly, once you have PR you no longer need a visa - correct? If so, is there also no requirement to prove your income anymore?

Correct, PR is for lifetime, never ever needs any checking or review etc.  90 day reports no longer needed. 

To be specific no visa is ever needed again.

As above PR holders never have toi visit Immigration again except when they need an exit/re-entry stamp. There's no questions re PR, there's no review and no  interview. 

And yes never ever have to give immigration any personal financial details.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Correct, PR is for lifetime, never ever needs any checking or review etc.  90 day reports no longer needed. 

As above PR holders never have toi visit Immigration again except when they need an exit/re-entry stamp. There's no questions re PR, there's no review and no  interview. 

Sounds good to me.

19 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Sounds good to me.

I've had PR for 27 years. It's valid for cheewit (all of life / lifetime).

On the pink ID Card there's a spot at the bottom for the issuing office to insert an 'expiry date'.

For PR holders the word cheewit is inserted (lifetime / all of life).

The value to me is that there's 99.9% chance I will never be separated from my wondeful Thai family because of some visa change / visa issue / visa complication. Further there's no ongoing requirement at all to show that you have funds in the bank or income.

Edited by scorecard

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The value to me is that there's 99.9% chance I will never be separated from my wondeful Thai family because of some visa change / visa issue / visa complication.

Having already invested significantly in Thailand and planning to invest substantially more next year.  I would also like to have that security - although I am aware that I will have to go though a lengthy process and pay tax for at least 3 years (I believe).

Do you need to get an exit/re-entry stamp each time? Or are multiple ones available?  Given my particular Immigration Office, I'd like to visit there as little as possible.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 9/9/2023 at 6:31 PM, scubascuba3 said:

You'll need a residency certificate for licence and purchasing a car or motorbike. Getting a yellow book really isn't worth it in Pattaya, life's too short

Well I have first registered and sold cars both in Bangkok and Nonthaburi using my Yellow Book, so above is not quite true.

• Thumbs Up 2

The law should force all developpers who sell either on freehold or lease hold to assist and get the blue or yellow book formalities done and handed over to the buyer.

To take one's money, those house developpers are all nice and accomodating.

But once you have paid up, they just try to see how they can get more money out.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Having already invested significantly in Thailand and planning to invest substantially more next year.  I would also like to have that security - although I am aware that I will have to go though a lengthy process and pay tax for at least 3 years (I believe).

Do you need to get an exit/re-entry stamp each time? Or are multiple ones available?  Given my particular Immigration Office, I'd like to visit there as little as possible.

Yes there is a requirement to prove you have submitted and cleared your personal Thai taxes for at least 3 consecutive years.

Plus you must prove you have held a valid Thai Work Permit for 3 consecutive years and still holdig a Work Permit when you lodge your application for PR.

Re Exit / re-entry stamps. There is no need to have this stamp until you have travel plans. The idea that you have to have an exit/re-entry stamp all the time is NOT correct. You get the stamp when you need it.

It's available for one trip, and yes you can get a multiple exit - re-entry stamp, valid for 1 year for unlimited trips out and in for that 12 months. 

Edited by scorecard

43 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i posted about Pattaya, did you miss that part?

And there was me thinking only half of your post was about Pattaya …. I’m a terrible person…. How many posts are you up to now … today.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yes there is a requirement to prove you have submitted and cleared your personal Thai taxes for at least 3 consecutive years.

Plus you must prove you have held a valid Thai Work Permit for 3 consecutive years and still holdig a Work Permit when you lodge your application for PR.

Re Exit / re-entry stamps. There is no need to have this stamp until you have travel plans. The idea that you have to have an exit/re-entry stamp all the time is NOT correct. You get the stamp when you need it.

It's available for one trip, and yes you can get a multiple exit - re-entry stamp, valid for 1 year for unlimited trips out and in for that 12 months. 

OK, thank you.  Clearly there's time yet but whilst these things are in my mind, I'd like to ask a couple more questions.

RE: The re-entry stamp. Is the office that provides these open 24/7?  I presume that if you leave without a re-entry stamp, your PR is cancelled? In the event of an emergency, in that I had to leave urgently, I wouldn't want to arrive at Suvarnabhumi, find the office is closed and lose my PR.

RE: Work Permit. So provided you have held a work permit & paid taxes for 3 years + still hold a work permit at the time of application, you could retire immediately after making the application?

How long in total did your application take?

13 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

OK, thank you.  Clearly there's time yet but whilst these things are in my mind, I'd like to ask a couple more questions.

RE: The re-entry stamp. Is the office that provides these open 24/7?  I presume that if you leave without a re-entry stamp, your PR is cancelled? In the event of an emergency, in that I had to leave urgently, I wouldn't want to arrive at Suvarnabhumi, find the office is closed and lose my PR.

RE: Work Permit So provided you have held a work permit & paid taxes for 3 years + still hold a work permit at the time of application, you could retire immediately after making the application?

How long in total did your application take?

Some answers:

First, I got PR 27 years ago. The basics are the same but small details have changed.

- You mentioned: RE: Work Permit. So provided you have held a work permit & paid taxes for 3 years + still hold a work permit at the time of application, you could retire immediately after making the application? I doubt that would work. Smaller details:

• The regulations say 3 years however the authorities can and do adjust that at their wim. E.g. When I applied they required at least 7 years of continuous WPs and tax clearance.
  • Other enecdotal comments suggest that you would need to continue holding a WP for a while.
  • A criteria mentioned before by the authorities is proof that your work is contributing to the development of Thailand. When I had my interview the Snr. Immigration officer asked for the names and numbers of 2 Thai work colleagues. He called them while I sat there and asked, in detail, what type of work they were doing; was I making a good effort to transfer my advanced strong knowledge and skills to them: was I polite and more.
  • Don't assume that every application which 'ticks all the boxes' gets approved. The rejection rate is very high. There's a maximum number of approvals allowed per county per year, not sure now if it's 50 or 100. The year I got PR the total number approved, all countries, was 5 people. 
  • You need to prove that you have advanced education and you need to prove that you have some type of financial growth to support you in older age.

Exit re-entry stamp. Yes it can be obtained at some airports 24/7 on the day of travel. I've never used it. When I was working I was travelling regionally at least 2 times per week, so. I got a multiple entry exit re-entry stamp every 12 months.

Don't assume that if the exit re-entry office is closed at the airport you're 'all OK'.  They probably wouldn't accept that as a reason to 'excuse' your lack of an exit re-entry stamp. And YES arrival back in LOS with no exit re-entry stamp would cancel your PR, this is not flexible, but you can re-apply for PR (the whole process).

Total time. Right now seems to be about 1 year. When I got PR I had the interview 10 minutes after I lodged the application, total time about 2 hours, very pleasant Snr. officer spoke perfect English. 

The total time does change according to the attitudes of the current party in government. During thaksins era the process almost stopped and some folks reported taking perhaps 5 years to get an interview / get it all finished. 

Edited by scorecard

20 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not quite true - you still need to visit the Police every 5 years and pay 500 Baht 

1 minute ago, JoePai said:

Not quite true - you still need to visit the Police every 5 years and pay 500 Baht 

Your talking about updating your local Red coveed Thai Police registration book.

As well known the Thai police like to have an address for every person in Thailand (includes Thai folks who are 'all' in the Tabien Baan book database).

Yes the red police registration book must be updated / confirmed every 5 years, it's a formatlity, yes there's a cost, different cost at some locations.

BUT THIS IS NOT A REVIEW OF PR. WHEN ATTENDING FOR THE RED POLICE BOOK UPDATE THE POLICE ASK NO QUESTIONS WHATEVER ABOUT PR / CONTINUING PR.

PR is issued for lifetime and in inself is NOT subject to any ongoing checks or review. 

• Haha 1