Mixed Race Thai People

LaosLover

15 hours ago, stoner said:

not the same but

my step son is full thai with no accent and perfect english. we took him to canada when he was around 9 and returned to thailand after he finished high school. 

when in canada we spoke 0 thai with him as i wanted him to speak english the same as any other canadian. he lost all his ability to speak thai while in canada. 

so when we came back he was in a strange position of being a full blooded thai but couldn't speak or understand. he has caught it back pretty quick in the 4 years since coming back. 

he now has dual citizenship as well. gets treated quite differently once people hear his story. some of it is good some is bad. overall it has helped his life in a lot of ways. he is almost finished thammasat inter program and is being hunted by ptt for work.

He's going to speak English with a Canadian accent so you can't really say he dosen't have an accent, There isn't any such thing as not speaking English without an acccent, come to the UK your hear many different ways of saying the same word

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  and conversely so.. 

If a foreigner has good money and a good job here, then paying for a top tier international school will give the Child a greater opportunity than placing them in a standard school back home (i.e. UK comprehensive).

There is the language issue: 

- Studying at an international school does not help a child's Thai.

- If the child wants a future in Thailand they have to learn extra curricular Thai.

There is also university issue (costs): 

- Firstly a family (child) has to be in the UK for 3 years to secure UK uni fees.

- The costs can be anywhere from £20,000 to £35,000 more per year than the standard ±£10,000 for resident UK students. 

- But, also, IF a child wanted to study medicine with the aim of becoming a Doctor in Thailand, they'd have to study their medical degree here (then perhaps study a masters overseas) - the same for legal services (lawyer) or Dentistry etc.

The only maybe advantage for the child would be if they where to stay in Thailand, if they wanted to work in another country it would be of far greater adavntage to do a degree in the UK as it is accepted in nearly every country in the world compared to a Thai degree where only a few unis are recognised world wide.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, spinner343 said:

He's going to speak English with a Canadian accent so you can't really say he dosen't have an accent, There isn't any such thing as not speaking English without an acccent, come to the UK your hear many different ways of saying the same word

sorry meant thai accent. eh. hearing my glaswegian parents damaged him forever. 

5 hours ago, bignok said:

Half Thais are usually more annoying Prefer the 100% ones who havent developed a sense of arrogant westernisation.

Well, I did ask what problems these people might face.

They somehow have let Bignok down. They annoy him. And now they have to live with that.

Westernization is bad, am I right? Leads to arrogance? Tell us more.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Well, I did ask what problems these people might face.

They somehow have let Bignok down. They annoy him. And now they have to live with that.

Westernization is bad, am I right? Leads to arrogance? Tell us more.

Franchise food

Tik tok

Facebook

Instagram

Westernisation has half ruined travel. Another 20 years the world is stuffed. All the same crap.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Franchise food

Tik tok

Facebook

Instagram

Westernisation has half ruined travel. Another 20 years the world is stuffed. All the same crap.

Thank god Thai people don't do any of those things. Like you, I love those pure, untouched Buddhist savages. 

Just read a witty bio of Paul Loti, among the first travel writers, the guy who inspired Paul Gaughan to get on the boat to Tahiti.

He had the exact same complaints about the locals as you do. Counter arguement: We're a big disappointment to them too.

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Thank god Thai people don't do any of those things. Like you, I love those pure, untouched Buddhist savages. 

Just read a witty bio of Paul Loti, among the first travel writers, the guy who inspired Paul Gaughan to get on the boat to Tahiti.

He had the exact same complaints about the locals as you do. Counter arguement: We're a big disappointment to them too.

Sad they do. Human beings are stuffed.

23 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Apart from being bi-lingual, they are also bi-social. Conversations with them are less awkward.

Caveat about all my future observations: All of the mixed race Thai people I meet are in pot bars.

They may be a little diff from your upstanding children. Being westerner-friendly is def a leg up for a pot store employee.

Pot bars, pot stores?

Just now, bignok said:

Sad they do. Human beings are stuffed.

Why can't you just love the fabulous, messy, alway in flux Thailand right in front of you?

Like, if you walked down my street and saw pot stores with Japanese writing, you'd say, "that's not the real Thailand".

But it is the real Thailand, the real Thailand right now. The Thai's aint complaining, the tourists aint complaining.

The only complainer is you. And you-types have been complaining since the beginning of travel -"you call this a Crusade? The old Crusade was better". 

6 minutes ago, bignok said:

Eating bugs once or twice is a phase?

The bug eating anecdote was a Lonely Planet-type convo staple forever.

Shame you missed that Ko Phangan, stoned, bs session down at the youth hostel by about 30 years.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Why can't you just love the fabulous, messy, alway in flux Thailand right in front of you?

Like, if you walked down my street and saw pot stores with Japanese writing, you'd say, "that's not the real Thailand".

But it is the real Thailand, the real Thailand right now. The Thai's aint complaining, the tourists aint complaining.

The only complainer is you. And you-types have been complaining since the beginning of travel -"you call this a Crusade? The old Crusade was better". 

I like Japanese food. I like CM. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, LaosLover said:

The bug eating anecdote was a Lonely Planet-type convo staple forever.

Shame you missed that Ko Phangan, stoned, bs session down at the youth hostel by about 30 years.

Not for me. I slept with 200 women in the 1990s.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

My half Thai/USA son does well in school here in M3, carries a good GPA, no bullying while in school, but when out and about with his school friends they will bump into the lower class Thai punks.  His English speaking/reading skills always earn him top grades in the international school he attends.  We thought of the family moving back to the US, but reconsidered as I'm sure his GPA would drop as he would of have to learn a whole new school system, subjects, etc.

Just now, bbko said:

Well this thread has gone off the tracks,

Yeah, def.

I wanted to hear about people's adult relationships with mixed-race people. People wanted to talk about their mixed race parenting issues. 'Works for me.

Than Bignok wanted to remind us again about his Englebert-level body count and offer up some 6 word town reviews. Another guy abstrusely pondered the diff between a pot bar and a pot store. It's all good.

12 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I wanted to hear about people's adult relationships with mixed-race people.

As for the adult mix Thais I've interacted with, a lot depends on their education level.  IMO the ones doing well in Thai society had both parents looking after them while growing up and the ones "less successful" are the ones where either the bargirl mother didn't know who the farang father was or in other cases,  the known father just abandoned the kid, leaving them to struggle through Thai life.

7 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps returning to the original intention of the OP? My daughter is "Look"Krung", or as she describes herself "hasip hasip falang Thai". She is now 18, and in her final year at school. She looks far more Western than Thai, although fortunately for her has not inherited my rugged good looks.

There have been occasional problems with bullying at school. By and large I have kept out of the way ( I was a teacher in the same school) although there was one episode when she was fourteen when a couple of boys were making life difficult for her - I had a quiet word with them and explained that unless they stopped I would make them my "personal project".  Most of the time she and her friends (she is pretty and quite popular) sorted it out.

A bigger problem was some of the more "nationalistic inclined" teachers - the "yellow underpants brigade"! My daughter is a keen singer and dancer, she is good and regularly wins medals and competitions - a couple did their very best to stop her from taking part, claiming it was inappropriate. Matters rather came to a head when we had a new Bishop installed - it is a Catholic school attached to the Cathedral here in Chiang Rai, the school dance group were to welcome the Apostolic Nuncio and other clerical signatories. She was deemed unacceptable. I was furious, not least because she was the only Catholic girl in the group! I went to see the Principal (a nun) and the Director (a priest) and had that stopped. 

One of the teachers - a vile harridan who really belonged in 1930s NAZI Germany, kept telling her she should dye her slightly auburn hair black to "fit in"!

The "yellow underpants brigade" all left together to join another school when she was three years into her secondary education, and her behaviour improved noticeably.

She was also humiliated by the oaf in charge of the Army Cadet detachment. He started his recruiting presentation to her year group when they became eligible by announcing that she (identified by name) could not join as she was foreign - she is of course a Thai national! I subsequently had an intense little talk with him about that

Lucy actually got her own revenge. I keep my medals, cap badges, photos and so forth, momentous of a long and not particularly glorious career in the British Army, in a case stached in the booze cupboard.. she got me to explain what each one was for - and then (unbeknown to me) used them to illustrate a talk given at school on her family! She finished her presentation (I didn't see it) by quoting her daddy that, whilst he didn't have as many medals or badges as the "galloping major" his didn't come from Disneyland, and the parachute badge ("lightbulb") was for jumping from an aircraft not off a wall! By all accounts the teachers were in fits of laughter - even the Principal, an austere nun, was giggling.

Anyway, in summary, the normal "teenage angst" was perhaps made slightly worse by this sort of bullying but she came out at the end as a sweet, kind girl.  No great academic, but she has got herself a place at University next year to study dance and drama, (Bank of Daddy will hurt!) and has recently started a quite well paid part time job as a waitress in a western orientated restaurant here - they love having a "Western girl" as a waitress and she does very well for tips!

-Will give this a proper read, but great writing. Lived, social history writing here is a gift of this board

Edited by LaosLover

And even the ones who are not mixed of European heritage, have some mix of other heritage. The fascinating thing about Thais, is that they are all of mixed ethnicity. Few know it, and few will admit it. But it is nearly 100%. Going back to the days of ancient Ayutthaya and Sukhothai, Thailand was a major trading nation. And people from all over the region came to trade, many of whom stayed. Producing the most astonishing women as a result. Indians, Sumatrans, Burmese, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese, Turks, Persians, and more.

With regard to the women, combine their mixed ethnicity, with their innate femininity, and the level of comfort they have in expressing that, it makes them very appealing. I see a  Western woman sometimes, who is beautiful, but cold as ice, and more masculine than I am, and there is no appeal, whatsoever. I think this can be described as the ability to manifest the dignity within femininity. Thai women have this in spades.

Edited by spidermike007