Registering Newborn Child As Thai

My TW just gave birth to our second child here in the US. In the past, it was easy to find information on the Thai Consulate (Los Angeles) web site as to how to register a child (of a Thai national) as a Thai citizen, but it seems today that most of the consulate's website is written in Thai. Perhaps they do not want anything to do with us foreign devils?

Anyhow, is there a website (in English) or information available here on TV where I can find the appropriate form(s) and instructions necessary to register my newborn child? I performed a search for "registering child" on TV but I didn't immediately come up with anything relevant.

Oh, because I live in the state of Washington, the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles falls within my "jurisdiction". Could I handle the matter of registering my child in Vancouver? It is closer and I could make a personal visit there. Plus it would be interesting because I have never been to Canada.

Canada is a different country - the procedures would not be the same and they would not be set up for it. There is a Consulate in Portland that should be able to answer your questions, even if not able to do the paperwork. Do not believe it has to be done while wife is in hospital - she can probably find the information or call Los Angeles if in doubt once at home.

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

121 S.W. SALMON STREET, SUITE 1430

PORTLAND, OR 97204-2924

Tel : (503) 221-0440

Fax : (503) 221-0550

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul, Mr. Nicholas J. Stanley

Royal Thai Embassy says:

BIRTH CERTIFICATE

To obtain a Thai birth certificate for a Child who was born in the United States to a Thai father or a Thai mother, please submit the following documents :

1. Parents’ Passports including Green Card or any other U.S. or Thai Identification Card, if any with 3 copies

2. Certificate of Marriage with 3 copies

3. U.S. Birth Certificate issued by County’s Vital Statistics Office. It must be notarized by State and the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.

4. Completed application forms

5. Two photographs of the child (size 2" x 2")

6. $15.00 fee for legalization of Birth Certificate which is notarized by the U.S. Department of State.

For further information, please contact : Tel. 202-298-4810, 4812

Birth Certificate is issued free of charge

For mail-in application

Note :

o State Authentication Authorities in the United States or http://travel.state.gov/about/info/custome...stomer_312.html

o Authentication Office, Department of State.

Thanks Lopburi3.

Btw, Item 1 seems to imply that my wife and I must submit the original documents (along with 3 copies of each). Is this correct, or are the copies sufficient? I hate to hand over my wife's "green card". It's not an easy item to replace.

Congratulations on the birth of your second child.

Canada would be the last place to go for assistance obtaining Thai citizenship for your US-born child.

My wife and I have had three kids in US, all of them in WA state. Thai consulate in LA has always been a pleasure to deal with. You will need your wife to read the forms and complete them properly. The most important thing is that you have to send them not only a certified birth certificate of your newborn, but one that is specially certified by the state government in Olympia. I do not recall the term, but if you call Olympia they will know exactly what kind of birth cert you need, and they will tell you how to apply for it. It just takes a week or so.

The Thai consulate is in no way concerned about your wife's green card and they do not want it, as I recall, not even a copy but they might. I do not recall exactly, but I share your concern about the green card. It never leaves us, always safe and secure. We did not send it to LA. The consulate may need a copy of your wife's baht prachachon (Thai ID card).

In our case we did not do anything until the kids were all born (over the course of 8 years), then we sent everything together to the Thai consulate in LA and they promptly issued a Thai birth certificate. After you get the Thai bc, you can get them a Thai passport. For the Thai passport, you have to appear in front of them in Los Angeles, or wait until they come to Washington State. They come to the wat in Auburn about once per year, the consular staff from LA. They bring everything with them to photograph your child and collect all documents from you in person. Prepare all of your forms in advance, bring everything they say to bring, and within just a few weeks later you get Thai passport for your kids in the mail. Very good system.

Edited by Arunsak