Bread

Maybole

I cannot find a precise thread for this. I am posting in Chiang mai because I want local knowledge only.

My regular source of Wholemeal bread has had to stop production, hopefully temporarily, and I am finding it difficult to get proper European style wholemeal bread. Makro and Big C only sell Thai bread which is far too sweet for my taste, Nana and Rimping are usually sold out before I can get there.

Recommendations please for a European style bakery, preferably to the south side of Chiang mai.

2 hours ago, Maybole said:

I cannot find a precise thread for this. I am posting in Chiang mai because I want local knowledge only.

My regular source of Wholemeal bread has had to stop production, hopefully temporarily, and I am finding it difficult to get proper European style wholemeal bread. Makro and Big C only sell Thai bread which is far too sweet for my taste, Nana and Rimping are usually sold out before I can get there.

Recommendations please for a European style bakery, preferably to the south side of Chiang mai.

Order it directly from the bakery. Then You don't have this problem. As i have written in another thread: Joe's Bakery in CM. Delicious and good quality bread. I guess that is the bread alteady sold out in Rimping, before you go there.

I don't mean to hijack this topic. As a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I am interested in buying a bread-maker to bake whole grain and multi-grain breads. If anyone reading has personal experience using one and recommendations for which brands to consider, it would be appreciated. You can send me a PM, if you want.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

I don't mean to hijack this topic. As a recently diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I am interested in buying a bread-maker to bake whole grain and multi-grain breads. If anyone reading has personal experience using one and recommendations for which brands to consider, it would be appreciated. You can send me a PM, if you want.

there was a YouTube vid a few years ago where a Rice cooker was used..worth looking!

https://www.google.com/search?q=making+bread+in+a+rice+cooker+or+air+fryer&rlz=1C1AVFC_enTH1020TH1020&oq=making+bread+in+a+rice+cooker+or+air+fryer&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160.15493j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:fd356a2a,vid:MNeSveafioE,st:0

Air Fryer: Plenty of Vids too.

Edited by tandor
add on
  • Love It 1

Back when western bread was a rarity in Chiang Mai, I picked up a new Panasonic bread maker while on a visa run to Oz. Most of these machines can make a variety of breads, but they usually only make a small or 'half' loaf. It worked fine, but when I moved to Chiang Dao I found out it was next to useless. Bread-making machines  work on a timer, so you MUST have an uninterrupted electricity supply for the entire process, or be prepared to use it only in the daytime & watch it like a hawk. That way, if it stops when the power cuts out (even for a few seconds) you can manually reset/restart it. I liked to set it up at night & wake to the smell of freshly-baked bread. Out in the boonies past Chiang Dao there are regular short time power cuts, especially at night, so I gave up. On my latest trip to LOS last month, I found plenty of wholemeal at Rimping near the airport or as someone else suggested, at Kasem store, just off Chiang Moi Road on the way down to Warawat market. Actually, bread-making machines became a fad in Australia for a while, until most folks here realised that it is easier to just go to a shop, as there is a bit of effort involved to get only a very small loaf. As a result, you can often pick them up cheaply in Op shops here. I bought one during the covid shutdown 'as new' for $10 (200 baht) - I used it once, then remembered how much effort it was for such a small loaf. Shame I can't give it to you, as it won't get used again here. If you buy one, I can say that home-baked bread always seems to taste a bit better than store-bought, if you get it right ! Good luck & I hope your health improves. 

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

Nana bakery as others have said - multiple locations but long term, have you considered making it yourself? Bread makers are not expensive and easy to use - guaranteed you won't have issues if you bake it yourself.  

I have tried, using flour and yeast from Rimping, but cannot get it to rise properly.

Jo's bakery have been delivering less to Nim City Rimping and I have not seen their bread at Ping river branch for some time. Sad as I really like their Rye and Pumpernickel. Their shop in Hang Dong would be the place to go.

Nana bakery has certain days for certain bread; Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday for their multi grain loaf, for example.  If you call they will reserve for you. I used to have the small Nana shop reserve a multi grain for me. Now I go to the bigger Nana bakery down the road at 89 plaza. 
Tops at C. Festival always have whole grain and dark breads in stock. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

Jo's bakery have been delivering less to Nim City Rimping and I have not seen their bread at Ping river branch for some time. Sad as I really like their Rye and Pumpernickel. Their shop in Hang Dong would be the place to go.

Nana bakery has certain days for certain bread; Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday for their multi grain loaf, for example.  If you call they will reserve for you. I used to have the small Nana shop reserve a multi grain for me. Now I go to the bigger Nana bakery down the road at 89 plaza. 
Tops at C. Festival always have whole grain and dark breads in stock. 

Tops at C. Festival always have whole grain and dark breads in stock. Is That BEFORE They Sell Out ???

13 minutes ago, 747man said:

Tops at C. Festival always have whole grain and dark breads in stock. Is That BEFORE They Sell Out ???

Comprehension problems? Let me re print that for you. 

Tops at C. Festival always have whole grain and dark breads in stock. "

Edited by Dcheech

It sounds like you really like your bread, perhaps consider buying a bread machine. Once you get the bread the way you want it, it takes only a couple of minutes to load the machine each time you make it. It would take you less time than going out to buy it.

9 hours ago, csaba81 said:

It sounds like you really like your bread, perhaps consider buying a bread machine. Once you get the bread the way you want it, it takes only a couple of minutes to load the machine each time you make it. It would take you less time than going out to buy it.

Well, but it does need time to bake, right? And time to clean it. And takes space in the kitchen. When I lived in Europe, I had a small bread machine, it worked nicely but eventually I gave up for a number of reasons. To each their own.

If you live in the city, and it sounds as if you do, then get out, find what you like and buy it. If you buy regularly, the same bread from the same supplier then they will keep it for you.

If you live in the countryside then you can bake your own. Experiment with recipes ingredients and methods, until you find a method that works for you. There are literally thousands of recipes and videos on the web, for a process which man has been doing for thousands of years.

Sorry to be so grumpy, it's 5am and I can't sleep. Maybe I will go and make a cup of tea!