"Myth busting on Ukraine"

Social Media

Penny wise, pound foolish.” It’s an apt description of the current the current debate on the proposed $24 billion supplemental appropriation to support Ukraine — a country fighting Russia for its very existence. After one of the authors spent a few days in Ukraine with a delegation of congressional staffers — the first such delegation since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine — it became easier to appreciate the necessity of winning in Ukraine not only for the people of that country but also for U.S. and global security. Yet not all Americans are convinced of this fact.  

Those arguing that Ukraine is not and should not be a U.S. priority any longer usually make several points. Some express concern that the American taxpayer might once again be underwriting a failing state, much like Afghanistan. Others point to concern about pre-war and possibly endemic Ukrainian corruption — the unsurprising byproduct of decades of economic mismanagement by the government and oligarchs. And still others worry that every dime spent on Ukraine is one that is not spent on defending Taiwan — and the broader Indo-Pacific region — from Chinese neoimperial expansion, let alone being spent on struggling American citizens back home.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2023 at 10:27 AM, jayceenik said:

I'm from Belgium and I love Russia.

I respects Putin and dismiss Ukraine as a non-democratic Stefan Bandera state.

You of course are entitled an opinion. But my deep lifelong Russian friends would likely barf hearing you. They of course love Russian people, cultural and scientific accompaniments, etc.

But they hate Vladimir Putin and the Soviet/Russian state, whom they view as the destroyer of the Russian people.

As one friend told me after losing absolutely everything at the collapse of the USSR, there is no personal loss too great to bear for ending the Soviet state. But perhaps you are young or read Russian propaganda. They'll also tell you don't believe anything from Putin's regime, it's all lies. Even videos of old Russian women filmed in villages saying we must burn all the Ukrainian children. It's all staged.

• Like 2