Stopover from the UK.

Kinok Farang

Hi,has anyone taken advantage of the free hotel stopover offered by Etihad?It seems to me(with plenty of time on my hands)to be a great way to break up the journey to LOS.But being a thicko anything new like this seems to always throw up problems.Is it a straightforward procedure,visa,transport to and from the airport to the hotel etc?Stopover in Abu Dhabi by the way.Cheers.

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a great way to travel and if you are in no rush it breaks up the flight nicely. 

We do this all the time with a layover or stopover in Dubai.

Its more than likely you can get a visa on arrival (depending on your nationality of course - that info is in the link below).

https://www.etihad.com/en/fly-etihad/visas#:~:text=A Transit Visa is applicable,hours and four calendar days.

The following info is for Emirates, but, I imagine similar rules are required for Abu Dhabi (but best to check with airline)

If a layover (< 24 hrs) baggage can go through to final destination. 

If a stopover (>24 hrs) baggage must be collected in Dubai.

We nearly always use the layover option from BKK to UK and take the AM flight from BKK to DXB landing at 1:30pm and in hotel pool by 2:30pm.

Back to the airport at 7am the following morning (no check-in required - boarding passes already in hand) and go straight through security to the gate and walk onto the plane !!! - so stress free !!!

Returning we do similar, but stay 2 nights because of the time difference and flight arrival times (arriving at midnight and departing at 10am which makes 1 night not really worth it, the additional hassle with this longer 34 hr stopover is that we have collect and check-in our baggage which is a bit of an unwanted PITA when for the sake of 2 nights a tiny amount of hand-luggage is all thats required).

Brilliant reply,thank you.The baggage pick up was one of the problems i thought about.

Also,what is the difference between a stopover and layover please?

Edited by Kinok Farang

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its a great way to travel and if you are in no rush it breaks up the flight nicely. 

We do this all the time with a layover or stopover in Dubai.

Its more than likely you can get a visa on arrival (depending on your nationality of course - that info is in the link below).

https://www.etihad.com/en/fly-etihad/visas#:~:text=A Transit Visa is applicable,hours and four calendar days.

The following info is for Emirates, but, I imagine similar rules are required for Abu Dhabi (but best to check with airline)

If a layover (< 24 hrs) baggage can go through to final destination. 

If a stopover (>24 hrs) baggage must be collected in Dubai.

We nearly always use the layover option from BKK to UK and take the AM flight from BKK to DXB landing at 1:30pm and in hotel pool by 2:30pm.

Back to the airport at 7am the following morning (no check-in required - boarding passes already in hand) and go straight through security to the gate and walk onto the plane !!! - so stress free !!!

Returning we do similar, but stay 2 nights because of the time difference and flight arrival times (arriving at midnight and departing at 10am which makes 1 night not really worth it, the additional hassle with this longer 34 hr stopover is that we have collect and check-in our baggage which is a bit of an unwanted PITA when for the sake of 2 nights a tiny amount of hand-luggage is all thats required).

Good advice. But i am now finding these middle eastern airlines flights to Thailand really too long for me. Even just the regular flight to Dubai / Doha is very long. 

Hence for my next trip i am going to look at making my flight time at any time no more than 4 hours. Then a stop over. 

So far my research says the best two stops on the way to and back to Thailand is India and Turkey - with roughly equal flight times of around 4-5 at a time. I have a visa for India also. 

I really can't be doing that long UK to Bangkok flight with Emirates/Qatar unless it is on business class. It's just getting way too heavy on me. 

I tried to get to do one long flight with Thai and another with Air France this past year and that was even worst. Air France in particular legroom was a total disgrace for such a long haul flight. Wouldn't ever do that again. 

I've even tried to drinking myself to oblivion to get through the flight, and that just left with me a headache and an even more distressed flight!!!

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Good advice. But i am now finding these middle eastern airlines flights to Thailand really too long for me. Even just the regular flight to Dubai / Doha is very long. 

Hence for my next trip i am going to look at making my flight time at any time no more than 4 hours. Then a stop over. 

So far my research says the best two stops on the way to and back to Thailand is India and Turkey - with roughly equal flight times of around 4-5 at a time. I have a visa for India also. 

I really can't be doing that long UK to Bangkok flight with Emirates/Qatar unless it is on business class. It's just getting way too heavy on me. 

Thats going to be very tough...  BKK-DXB is 6 hours...    I think its going to be difficult to break it down less than that and still be economically viable. 

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

I tried to get to do one long flight with Thai and another with Air France this past year and that was even worst. Air France in particular legroom was a total disgrace for such a long haul flight. Wouldn't ever do that again. 

I've even tried to drinking myself to oblivion to get through the flight, and that just left with me a headache and an even more distressed flight!!!

Fly Emirates, depart in the mornings... don't drink...  Take an iPad with decent moves / TV series and noise cancelling headphones, wear comfortable clothing etc... 

Arrive in DXB, stay within a reasonable distance to the airport (i.e. the crown-plaza Festival city, 10mins from the airport ), 6 hours flight, realistically about 5.5 hrs in the air, land and be in a swimming pool within an hrs after taking off from BKK !!!...   

Shopping mall next door (Festival city) for a nice Arabic dinner...  

Wake up, have breakfast sent to your room (pre-ordered) go to the airport without needing to check-in because you already have your boarding pass.

Grab a coffee, board the flight stress free.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

The more I travel, the less enamoured I am with airports and layovers. The IAH-NRT flight was a godsend when I was living in the US and working in Vietnam. My poor opinion of Qatar economy cattle cars to the UK is tempered by their thankfully shortish Doha layovers. A couple of ~6 hour flights back-to-back with just enough time to change gates is almost perfect. Before the Ukraine ruckus queered their pitch, Finnair's +11 hour non-stop in Business Class was great with KLM's similarly lengthy jaunt via Hamsterjam a close second even in Coach as that's a decent airport to kick back for a few hours.

My 'trick' for long haul flights is to stay awake as long as possible in the 24-hours before departure. Check-in, board and drag yourself to your window seat but tell the crew supervisor you do NOT want to be wakened up to eat. I'm fast asleep before push back and awake and refreshed well before the serial movie, nap and a crap breakfast crowd block up the bathrooms before landing.

Airplanes are for sleeping in, but you need to be tired. Airports are for passing through, but you need to be wide awake.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

The more I travel, the less enamoured I am with airports and layovers. The IAH-NRT flight was a godsend when I was living in the US and working in Vietnam. My poor opinion of Qatar economy cattle cars to the UK is tempered by their thankfully shortish Doha layovers. A couple of ~6 hour flights back-to-back with just enough time to change gates is almost perfect. Before the Ukraine ruckus queered their pitch, Finnair's +11 hour non-stop in Business Class was great with KLM's similarly lengthy jaunt via Hamsterjam a close second even in Coach as that's a decent airport to kick back for a few hours.

My 'trick' for long haul flights is to stay awake as long as possible in the 24-hours before departure. Check-in, board and drag yourself to your window seat but tell the crew supervisor you do NOT want to be wakened up to eat. I'm fast asleep before push back and awake and refreshed well before the serial movie, nap and a crap breakfast crowd block up the bathrooms before landing.

Airplanes are for sleeping in, but you need to be tired. Airports are for passing through, but you need to be wide awake.

I just can't sleep on a flight unless laying flat, no matter how tired I am.

Laying flat in Business class I still need an Benzodiazepine.... 

We did the Finn Air route (business class)...  which also had very fast transit in Helskini....  it was good for cheap business class (9-10 hrs BKK to Helskini - pre Ukraine) and another 3.5 hrs to Heathrow... 

But in Eco, sitting in a seat for 9-10 hrs... its just too much.

Thai Airways were offering 10,000 baht BKK to UK last year (one way)...  I thought about it for a split second !!!  11-12 hrs not stop in an eco seat... no thanks. 

And now business class fares and upgrades are so expensive its not worth it at all which makes the layover / stopover a more viable option. 

Thus.. when its family leisure travel its day time Eco flights and break up the 'numb-bumb' boredom with a layover...

Of course - this all depends upon how well you can sleep while sitting in an Eco seat...

It seems you can sleep well in an Eco seat - I'm quite jealous !!!

Best flight I ever had Qatar Airways to BKK... 2am flight, I'd been up since 4am. 

Travelling for work, business class, I took a Clonozapam... Told the FA no food, wake me up at the last possible minute. 

I slept from seatbelt sign off (bed to flat) to being woken up before final approach - awesome, it was like clicking my fingers and being on a 1 hr flight !!! 

• Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 5:23 PM, DonniePeverley said:

London - Delhi and Istanbul - Bangkok are both 9+ hour flights.

2 hours ago, RayC said:

London - Delhi and Istanbul - Bangkok are both 9+ hour flights.

Manchester --- > Istanbul -----> Delhi -----> Bangkok

All around 4 hours each. 1 day sightseeing around Istanbul, then sleep the night in Delhi. Just splits it

all up.

Caveat is you will need to get a visa for India (which you can do online). You can also do Sri Lanka instead of India. 

• Thanks 1