Friendship and coffee

roger101

16 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Made from coffee beans,

Instant coffee is made from real coffee beans. The soluble and volatile contents of the beans are extracted. Then the water is removed so powder or concentrated soluble coffee powder are left over. It's essentially been dehydrated for our convenience – just add water and you have yourself a brew!

I think you are missing the meaning with the initial comment. The poster meant it lacks all the flavor, quality and aroma that "real" coffee has. However, what you wish to do, is just to prove the exact point and prove your superiority by telling us the facts, right? Facts that almost all of us know, that understood the meaning and sarcasm in the initial post.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/29/2023 at 2:15 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Lazada has quite a choice of instant decaf.

But as I have zero knowledge about prices I can't tell what is cheap.

The local "Moccona Blue" was OK as a grounded coffee until it vanished from the shelves.

Moccona Instant decaf 100gr 299 B.

That had gone up to 321 Baht the other day.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, I've tried a wide range of instant coffee, and none compare to fresh brewed.

Some are drinkable, but I wouldn't call them coffee.  Prefer Moccona Espresso, as a desert 'Cappuccino', considering it's a 3/1, and who added sugar & creamer to their Espresso.  Buddy Dean & Super are OK also, but don't call the coffee.

Nescafe ... all versions, is just vile.  Never had their pods, but if they can't get the instant right, I'm not up for experimenting.

Yeah, can never compare, freshly brewed coffee with the instant rubbish. Also, not only the coffee, as it comes down to the machine. It´s soo much to think about to get the perfect cup of coffee. However, one persons perfect, might not be another ones piece of heaven. ???? 

26 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Yeah, can never compare, freshly brewed coffee with the instant rubbish. Also, not only the coffee, as it comes down to the machine. It´s soo much to think about to get the perfect cup of coffee. However, one persons perfect, might not be another ones piece of heaven. ???? 

I manage to make a good cup of coffee (for me), using our crap machine, French press (now), drip or Moka pot, but yet to replicate the excellent cup of coffee, that I've been served at a few shops.  

Even buying their beans and I'm still off  ????

Must be the fancy A$$ expensive machine.  Still make as good or better cup of, than most shops we visit.  But when they get it just right, damn it's tasty.

Not really into coffee that much to spring for even a 50k baht machine.  Our 3k baht 'coffee' machine (not espresso) is 15 bar, and even that's not consistent.  Does give you good crema though, if using the pressurized portafilters that it came with.   

Though I like the naked ones, since hold more coffee, and get a better yield.  My cup of Americano is 200ml.  Easier not using the 'machine'.

• Love It 1

41 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Neither is the stuff they make at Starbucks.

Haven't sampled here, but stuff served up in USA that I did sample ... hell no.  Dunkin Donuts put out a better cup of coffee in USA.   Although a large cup (Starbucks), still not paying their silly price for coffee here.  Matches USA sizes, starting at 8oz/235ml. vs Thai vendor's 100-150ml cups of Americano.

Best is WaWa market (regional 7-11 clone, but better) coffee, and an excellent Hazelnut that I was addicted to, when in USA.

Best, most consistent (chain) I've had here is Bon Cafe.  Must be their expensive machines, as again, hard to replicate at home using their beans ????

I'd be pissed or poor, if I was a coffee connoisseur living here.  Fancy machine & beans ain't cheap.

Edited by KhunLA

21 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be pissed or poor, if I was a coffee connoisseur living here.  Fancy machine & beans ain't cheap.

Did it for quite a few years and would not say it did not cost me excessively.... until the machine broke and I found out how much a new one was, and the repair would cost! (Inherited the machine originally).

• Thumbs Up 1

Coffee snobs, wine snobs much of a muchness. Their way of making and drinking is the only way. Everything else is wrong.

I like cheap wine (normally called (wrongly in my opinion) fruit wine and instant coffee. That's not to say I don't like a more expensive wine on occasion (a good Barolo is my favorite, but far  too expensive to drink everyday) and a nice cup of freshly brewed coffee. They should just let people drink what they like and stop criticiising. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 1:23 PM, brianthainess said:

HP Sauce has gone through the roof in my Macro now only a twin pack about 360b and dearer than the 3 pack they had before. I mentioned it to the check out girl and told her Big C have at just 120b a bottle, and I kid you not she said "Oh but this is two bottles" :post-4641-1156694572:

Then why you didn't buy it at Big C? I tell you why

image.png.cd9ac1ab6eacc2075824914336dfea4b.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, roger101 said:

I like cheap wine (normally called (wrongly in my opinion) fruit wine and instant coffee. That's not to say I don't like a more expensive wine on occasion (a good Barolo is my favorite, but far  too

I always interpreted 'fruit wine' as meaning some wine with added fruit juices, usually to make it cheaper. Am I wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I always interpreted 'fruit wine' as meaning some wine with added fruit juices, usually to make it cheaper. Am I wrong?

Does 'fruit' need to be added to describe a wine, as all wines are made from fruit.  Unless simply meaning. not from grapes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Does 'fruit' need to be added to describe a wine, as all wines are made from fruit.  Unless simply meaning. not from grapes.

I was thinking of fruit juices being added at the end of the usual wine making process.....some may go on to be regular wine,  and some part of production  mixed. I would prefer some discrepancy made clear at time of purchase. 

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

In the "wine making world"... wine is made from grapes... fruit wine is made from various other fruits... it's more a historical thing than a technical thing... the processes are basically the same but the results do vary greatly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2023 at 4:43 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I use that - a small "cafetierre" (two small cups) for breakfast and again for "elevenses" using one of those little filters you perch on top of a mug. I rather suspect it works out at the same cost as using instant!

Toying with the idea of buying a small drip machine...

Try filter bags with drawstrings. Don’t bother to waste your money on fancy devices that you have to clean every time. You can find 100 bags for less than 50 baht. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, roger101 said:

Friendship today. Nescafe Decaf special offer. Back to the old price of 475 Baht.

I've seen many stores doing the same tactic, drastically raise the price of an item, then I'm guessing sales on that item slows down drastically (555) and the store returns to the old price and tries to label it a huge discount off it's "normal" price.

Smart shoppers know better.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, roger101 said:

I drink 6 or 7 cups a day,

On 9/28/2023 at 9:59 PM, roger101 said:

So back home to check the other stores and Lazada to see if I can save some money.

If you like the coffee just have 5 cups instead of 7 🤔

• Confused 1

The Best instant coffee, Vietnamese G7 BLACK, on sale 49 THB/box at Jomtien bus station store (Family Market?).

Those who blast all instant being junk has never tasted this! Not coarse like others, but "dust".

Try it, you may like it -:)

PS. ALL others are junk on my book too.

HP Sauce has gone through the roof in my Macro now only a twin pack about 360b and dearer than the 3 pack they had before. I mentioned it to the check out girl and told her Big C have at just 120b a bottle, and I kid you not she said "Oh but this is two bottles" :post-4641-1156694572:

Right when her correct response should have been, "Well, go to Big C".

• Like 1

Thai arithmetic! However, it could (just could) be that Big C have old stock at pre-increase prices. If they were to sell a twin pack at latest prices it might be 360 baht?

6 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thai arithmetic! However, it could (just could) be that Big C have old stock at pre-increase prices. If they were to sell a twin pack at latest prices it might be 360 baht?

Look at my earlier post, Big C isn't selling at 120 baht, he just made that up

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Yes it was now much the same price.

On 9/29/2023 at 6:44 AM, daveAustin said:

Real coffee at least seems to be considered ‘luxury’ here and like everything else in that bracket is overpriced. That store could also be trying it on. Perhaps a cue to switch to a healthier diet… 6-8 cups is excessive, no? ????

I do two and think I’ve gone overboard. 

Real coffee, both beans and ground, has been around 200 baht a kilo(plus delivery) on lazada for several years. Small roasters in north, tried many and yet to get any bad tasting, rather premium taste at low price.

Seems no major change in prices lately either, maybe due to not much impact by xrates 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GypsyT said:

The Best instant coffee, Vietnamese G7 BLACK, on sale 49 THB/box at Jomtien bus station store (Family Market?).

Those who blast all instant being junk has never tasted this! Not coarse like others, but "dust".

Try it, you may like it -:)

PS. ALL others are junk on my book too.

FoodMart

https://m.facebook.com/pages/Foodmart/422858847734843

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:38 AM, quake said:

Everything in Thailand goes up.

But the only things that come down,  are drawers. :thumbsup:

But is the cost of drawers coming down static or also increasing along with everything else?

Edited by Artisi