Cash advance with debit card question

For the past 3 years I've been using the debit card/cash advance system at Bangkok Bank, where I have an account, to transfer money from my American banks to Thailand. My Bangkok Bank's cash advance machine is broken and there are no other branches nearby. I am not sure when it will be fixed and I would like to take advantage of the present favorable exchange rates. Has anyone used a bank where they do NOT have a bank account to receive a debit card/cash advance? Which Thai Bank? TIA

• Confused 2

I think it does not matter if you have an account at the bank where you choose to do a cash advance.  As long as you don't mind walking out with all the cash you received.  I would suggest being a customer is likely to make it easier for the bank to say yes.

In the land of the free I often got cash advances at banks where I was not a customer.

I can't give a positive response to your query.  I can only say that I've asked at SCB, Kasikorn and Land and House banks.  None of them were able/willing to do a cash advance.

Edited by gamb00ler

17 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I can't give a positive response to your query.  I can only say that I've asked at SCB, Kasikorn and Land and House banks.  None of them were able/willing to do a cash advance.

So it sounds like Bangkok Bank is pretty much the only bank that offers this service? I really like this method of transferring money to my Thai account - it's so quick and easy.

1 hour ago, gamb00ler said:

Charles Schwab and CapitalOne and some credit unions offer cards with out that fee.

I have a Schwab account. I haven't seen a fee when I get a cash advance, but maybe it's "baked into" the exchange rate. I just used the Schwab debit card at BKK Bank's ATM machine even though it said there was a whopping 220B fee (!) - I did it anyway just as an experiment to see how the exchange rate worked out and if the fee was waived by Schwab, or not. 

58 minutes ago, djeetyet said:

I have a Schwab account. I haven't seen a fee when I get a cash advance, but maybe it's "baked into" the exchange rate. I just used the Schwab debit card at BKK Bank's ATM machine even though it said there was a whopping 220B fee (!) - I did it anyway just as an experiment to see how the exchange rate worked out and if the fee was waived by Schwab, or not. 

Today? May I ask the rate? ATM  normal fee is 220bht  for non bank ATM

8 hours ago, Olmate said:

Tue thru Friday at around 7AM (Thai time) Visa publishes the exchange rate that will be in effect until the new rate is published.  That rate can be found at:

https://www.visa.co.uk/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

MasterCard rate is also online at:

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/personal/get-support/convert-currency.html

You will have to specify that you are converting from Thai ฿ to your home currency.  Since you receive Thai ฿ at the bank, you need to specify the "From" currency as ฿ and the "To" currency as that of your foreign account.  It can seem counterintuitive.

• Confused 1

On 9/29/2023 at 11:03 AM, Olmate said:

Sorry for the slow response but the transaction took a few days to clear, probably because it was on a weekend. I withdrew 10,000B on Friday morning Sept 29th around 9 a.m. from the ATM machine in front of BKK bank. It cleared 10/02/2023. Here's what showed up in my transaction history:

10,000B ATM Withdrawal BANGKOK BANK: -$279.93. 
SCHWAB ATM REBATE ATM SURCHARGE WAIVED: $6.03 (credit) 
So, $279.33 - $6.03 = $273.30
10,000B/273.30 = 1U$ : 36.59B

I think a decent exchange rate. So, this worked fine, but not really efficient for transferring large sums. I am still waiting for the "Cash Advance" machine to be repaired...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djeetyet said:

I withdrew 10,000B on Friday morning Sept 29th around 9 a.m. from the ATM machine in front of BKK bank. It cleared 10/02/2023. Here's what showed up in my transaction history:

10,000B ATM Withdrawal BANGKOK BANK: -$279.93. 
SCHWAB ATM REBATE ATM SURCHARGE WAIVED: $6.03 (credit) 
So, $279.33 - $6.03 = $273.30
10,000B/273.30 = 1U$ : 36.59B

I've only done 1 ATM withdrawal with my Schwab Visa debit card in Dec '21.  The ฿ was much higher then. 

I received 16K ฿ from the ATM but I think the ATM requested a withdrawal of 16,220 ฿ to include the extra fee for using foreign debit card.  $484.61 was withdrawn for the 16,220 ฿.  As in your case I was given a credit of $6.57 for the extra 220 ฿ withdrawn.

I would calculate my exchange rate as 16220/484.61 = 33.4702.  To check that rate I also see that 220 ฿ / 6.57 = 33.4855 which is different probably due to round off error.