80% of Thailand soaked as intense rainfall reigns

webfact

image.jpeg

Intense rainfall is expected to continue across 49 provinces in Thailand, with a staggering 80% of the area predicted to be affected, including the capital, Bangkok.

The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) issued this warning today, urging citizens to be cautious of potential flash floods and landslides, particularly in open areas and under large trees.

A powerful monsoon trough is forecasted to sweep across the lower northern region, upper central region, and the northeastern region, coupled with a rather strong southwestern monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea, the central region, the eastern region, the southern region, and the Gulf of Thailand.

This weather pattern will induce intense rainfall in several areas of the northern, northeastern, and central including Bangkok and its vicinity, eastern, and southern regions.

The TMD requested people in these areas prone to intense rainfall be aware of hazards from heavy to very heavy rain and accumulated rainfall, which could potentially lead to sudden flash floods and forest runoff. This is especially significant for areas near mountain slopes, waterways, and low-lying areas.

Caution is also advised when travelling through areas experiencing thunderstorms and to avoid staying in open areas, under large trees, and weak billboards.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo: Ojoel/ Istock.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-09-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

From my experience,  Sept and early Oct have almost always been the rainiest months ( i live in the North) .     IF ... IF ..... if the country managed the usage and preservation of the rainfall well there probably would be many fewer "shortages"  in the dry season.

IF .............

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, connda said:

Good.  We desperately need some heavy, constant rainfall up here in our part of Northern Thailand.

You can have my share for several days.

I can't get out and hack the grass down or change some water pipes unless I go out in the rain to do it.

I hate getting wet.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1