About Thai stock exchange downfall

Hello folks, today I've seen SET as low as 1475, I think was around 1600 once I checked maybe a year ago.

I have stocks mostly with energy sectors, PTT, OR, BANPU, but the value has fallen very steeply.

Im no expert or wise at financial stuffs, and I would like your peeps thoughts if thats ok...

Currently Im investing 3MB currenly at a loss at 300KB. Around a yr ago, I was at gain 700KB. (Mostly due to BANPU special IPO stocks)

Im assuming devalue in stock is based on the new Thai PM dude? 

Do you think this kind of fall is normal thing due to some changes in the country & will eventually recover?

*Dividend are peanuts

When I lived in other countries, I was a pretty prolific investor (mixed results, to be sure). With the extreme level of corruption in Thai society, I have to assume that the stock market is stacked against retail investors here; and that company managers and executives are stealing from their companies. I remember Thai Airlines going bust with all the abuses of executives flying round the globe first class with 40 odd pieces of luggage on shopping trips with the wives or girlfriends. SET, no thanks. 

1 hour ago, CharlieKo said:

The SET is just an indicator of how all stocks listed on the SET are performing. It is not an indicator of how individual stocks are performing. 

It is easier to be wise after the event. SO I won't say, "you should have sold when you were up 700K". Especially as it was due to the IPO. 

So the question is. What is your pain threshold? How low are you willing to watch the price drop before you sell, IF you sell?

Sadly most novice investors tend to buy when price is high and sell when price is Low! No one can answer your question. As they say previous performance is not an indicator of future performance. You could wait and see if price improves. But up to you! 

I looked at the BANPU chart. IMO it could rise from where the price is now. But It could continue down. No one can say for sure. It is just my opinion. With the situation you are in price wise, You either wait and see or sell. are you willing to be a long term investor waiting to see what happens or do you take the loss,  And move on? It all depends on how badly you need the funds in the future, or if you can afford to lose the lot? 

It is possible the price drop is due to investors taking their funds out of stocks because of what the government propose with future spending plans and what the future tax liability might be. In which case the current price reflects that. Once Government proposals are known the price may recover a bit or not.   

Some might say, if you are thinking of selling, then why wait till the price drops further! The worse thing to do is panic sell, especially if your view is more positive than negative. Only you can answer that question.

This is just my opinion. It is not advice as to what you should do. Again, ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION. 

Good Luck. 

Wow cool thanks.

If u don't mind, could pls have your opinion on OR stock as well? (PTT retail)

This is the main stock thats bringing me down. 

I think back when was listed new was around 23B, went up to 35B? then down hill to 20s and never went up again.

I also have NOK air shares not big 120KB which i think bougt em in 2019, but now worth zero. 

Quote Pon-ThaiCapitalist: "OR sees limited impact from Bt2/liter cut in marketing margin, as retail fuel sale a/c for only 30% of profit, and an expected 60% growth in jet fuel sales should help more than offset, keeps 10% revenue growth target.

Comment: OR Is going to be a dog until oil prices crash."

I don't read the news n stuff, but I think Chinese are investing EV car manufacturing in Thailand and Thailand has some target to omit gas carson the road?

I just knew PTT gots em stations in ASEAN region, by looking at their site. 

https://www.pttor.com/en

If so, one day OR stock gotta rise right? cuz they dominating da petrol stations and they gotta increase those ev chargeing machinese?

I think PTT is state owned, so competitors maybe can't match da level of da ptt. What u think?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, villageidiotY2K said:

Do u know why investors are pulling funds out of SET? Just ur opinion is ok. 

Cuz im newbie to most things in life even im mid aged.................... 

its because thailand has low economic growth and poor economic prospects. There is a Thailand ETF that trades in the US and it is at the same price today as it was back in 2009. So compare that to the QQQ and well let’s just say dead money invested in the SET. Gold even outperformed the SET..