Chiang Mai school cancels controversial 2000 baht fine for exam failures

webfact

image.jpeg

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) between a teacher and students in a Chiang Mai secondary school, which required students to pay a fine of 2,000 baht per credit if they failed or scored zero in exams, has been scrapped.

The MOU, which attracted criticism on social media, was not mandated by the school’s administrators but was the initiative of the class teacher. This was revealed by the latest updates posted by Parnarmee Vijchongjareon, a member of parliament from the Move Forward Party.

Today, October 2, reports emerged on social media of an MOU between a class teacher and secondary students at a Chiang Mai school. The agreement stated that students and their parents had to sign that if the student failed or scored zero in an exam, or was marked with a behavioural flag, they would have to pay a fine of 2,000 baht per credit.

Parnarmee Vijchongjareon updated her followers on the situation after consulting with Patrapong Lila-Phattar, a local representative for the Move Forward Party (MFP) in Chiang Mai’s San Pa Tong district.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The agreement stated that students and their parents had to sign that if the student failed or scored zero in an exam, or was marked with a behavioural flag, they would have to pay a fine of 2,000 baht per credit

the teacher might had thought: all means are good to make money, except bad ones 

• Like 1

2k x 30+ 1 red pen= 60,000b. Nice, 

Multiple choice question; (a) Do you think you will pass?

(b) Should I slap you?

(c) how do you spell NO?

And not one comment about how to motivate students and their parents to take school seriously. OK … same challenge faced by teachers the world round. Over my 41 years as an educator I had the cross section of humanity … some self motivated, some outstanding, some lacking self confidence, some fighting anti-education sediment at home, some … well, some incapable of gaining knowledge at the level or time in their life when in my classroom. One of the most challenging and most rewarding careers but it will break your heart if you truly care … and do not look to be financially compensated  for the role you play in society. All that said, no … I cannot definitively speak for this particular teachers motivation.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, NORDO said:

Maybe a 2000 THB prize for passing exam, but a penalty for failing?    Who thinks up this stuff?

You are clearly not an entrepreneur, you would be bankrupt in no-time. Normally Thais always pass and rarely can fail. I would actually think this might not be as bad as it sounds in reality, the teacher might have felt motivated to do his best more and the students will have pressure to do do their homework, specially as the parents tell them they won't want to pay.

They also sign this paper themselves, I do not see any mention of it being forced. I would think it is worse if my son his teacher doesn't care, and just let him pass regardless.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Wanna know a neat trick about LOS.....as a thai once told me..Money #1....

if you apply this to 99% of ALL thai thinking and situations here is always comes back to THIS...

apply this simply saying to your daily life here and it all makes sense....sadly.....