PM Srettha aims to lift Thailand to upper-income status in four-year soar

webfact

14 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Did you forget Thailand's big neighbor ?

Businesses want to make money . Producing in countries with low wages maximizes their profit .

They will not produce in Thailand if the costs are too high .

High tech is an exemption to that rule , but Thailand is no high tech producing country yet .

Transforming Thailand into a high wage country will take decades , 4 years won't be enough .

Srettha wants Tesla Microsoft etc ... they produce high tech , but would the average Thai profit from that ?

I doubt that .

More important, with the current corruption. lack of stable government., lack of skilled workers and the high cost people are going to move away.  Consider Wacoal is a Thai company with a huge Thai market but had manufacturing in Myanmar until recently.

Thaland had a huge manufacturing ability in clothing. What happneed people went where it was cheaper.

The other great joke is call centers.  All we hear about is scams that are not call centres in their true form but yet in many countries the Phil as one are making a huge profit and job market providing CC for North America.  India got it's foothold in Tech by running call centers for phone companies and other large firms in the US.

Thailand just sits back and plays at its games and hopes that tourism is going to make it number 1.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin announced ambitious plans to elevate Thailand to an upper-income nation within the next four years.

being one of the tallest people in town, he should be able to lift it above norm

So the minimum salary doubled over ten years - my question is, did Somchai's performance/output double in line?

The university graduates were promised THB 15'000 minimum salary and the excitement was evident. According to some figures (unverified) some 230'000 graduates remained jobless for two reasons; their university degree did, in many cases, not include the ability to complete an application form correctly and secondly they were simply not worth the money. 

The salary per month is not a relevant figure; of relevance is how long it takes a worker to earn a beer, meal or a car. The other figure is the output value; employers hire only people on whose work employers make some money for them. 

Basic mathematics. Surprise, surprise though after the last jack-up from 200 to 300 Baht; the noodle soup rose from 25 to 40 Baht which was not comprehended by most noodle soup customers ???? Your call ......... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:16 PM, Modern Coding said:

Business owner here.

So, fresh graduates are to be paid a monthly target salary of 25k.

People with no degree would be at a daily wage of 0.04k, which means a monthly wage of 12k on a 30-day monthly basis as per law.

Well, I would be better off waiting for kids to finish their school, then give them a proper training, instead of hiring fresh graduates, to whom proper training is also needed!

I think it depends on the graduate and the course taken.

My son could already do his target job when he left school at 18 - he still went on to do a degree - the degree, whilst being a formality is turning out to be VERY in depth and he is maintaining a high GPA. I am quite impressed with what I've seen so far from ABAC Suvarnabhumi.

On the other hand, I have trained many IT graduates to become programmers and I think the issue there is that few of the professors have ever been in a professional programming environment, so the knowledge is very theoretical. I've not done this in the west though - so it may be that the training is the same there. 

Overall, I've worked with hundreds of Thais in professional environments and found them a  pleasure to work with and very professional and dedicated. 

I've heard horror stories from others about Thai staff, I've just never experienced issues myself in 20+ years here.

Still 25k for a graduate is still a pittance to be paid - once you figure out food, travel, accomodation costs - it doesn't leave them much left.

Edited by pedro01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, pedro01 said:

On the other hand, I have trained many IT graduates to become programmers and I think the issue there is that few of the professors have ever been in a professional programming environment, so the knowledge is very theoretical. I've not done this in the west though - so it may be that the training is the same there.

This is exactly this! I would even say: many of them cannot even code!

And this is not specific to Thailand: this is global!

I have witnessed it at several different places: no matter, whether developed or under-developed countries!

I can confirm that the West is not different.

And here in Thailand, as well as in other ASEAN countries where I had been staying before, a certain number of professors have graduated in the West: they have just turned into the same kind of idiots as over there...

I mean: myself, I did not graduate in IT, but in Chemistry in France and Germany. Upon graduation, I decided to switch to IT; I was hired by an IT company who was looking for COBOL developers for their customers in the bank, insurance and financial industry, but could not find any. They gave me a six-week intensive training in the IBM Mainframe technologies; with that package, I had been working for 7 years in this field.

Of course, during that period, I had kept training myself in the web technologies, through night courses in Germany and Portugal. Plus I went to Brazil for one month to take many intensive classes: EVERYWHERE, really EVERYWHERE, the instructors told me I had learned much more in 2 weeks than IT students in 5 years!

Regarding the few of the professors [that] have ever been in a professional programming environment: if it were specific to IT, this world would be better off; unfortunately, it is general to all domains. When I was a chemistry student, I took my balls and managed to find a summer job at the HQ of a famous name of the chemical industry in Germany, doing lab related work. Great experience, which none of my German chemistry professors have had until now. All of them were complete morons, who had never stepped foot at even the tiny private chemical company next door, but who believed to know the private industry much better than I!

When you think that precisely these idiots are training and instructing our young people...

And there is even worse: when I was in Vietnam and Cambodia, I was teaching at universities; the respective Deans exclusively wanted experienced people from the field who would come as guest lecturers, not professors who had just learned programming from books. Which is great. So on top of programming, I had accumulated experience teaching, transmitting knowledge, skills, experience and values. Exactly with that experience, I had to work at an "organization" in Cambodia providing IT courses, in which I was in charge of the training. Except that this "organization" was led by complete morons who had no clue about the IT field, but who claimed to know everything better, just because they had some weird degrees from some weird so called "prestigious" French business or management schools. Plus there was another idiot with a useless MBA and a 9-year history at non-private environments also willing to teach me lessons. No wonder, I, as the only person experienced and qualified for the position, I was kicked out of that stupid place.

Hence my preference to hire junior non-IT people and giving them training while paying them even during the training.

18 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Still 25k for a graduate is still a pittance to be paid - once you figure out food, travel, accomodation costs - it doesn't leave them much left.

This is very true if these people live in Bangkok.

This is why I chose to operate in the province, where food and accommodation costs are much lower, and where traveling costs and commuting time are close to zero. I am just 5 minutes away by walk from the University, so that students can even do internship or part-time job.

On 10/3/2023 at 1:25 PM, peter48 said:

Great to see this party back in power again. Its like early Thaiksin or Tony Blair or Justin Trudeau. You start governing for all people not the rich elites, you reach out to the poor Northern areas too, to the low incomed and forgotten, the struggling groups barely making it through. You give people hope, you open up your country, you improve education and investment and encourage foreign investment too.  As countries improve too you introduce a dynamism; you bring down drug taking, crime and unemployment. The cynics will say blah,blah but no younger fresh new ideas will help Thailand to what it was like before the coups. This was what the Thais voted for. 

A strange comment among several that don't fit the facts since the Thais voted for MFP not PTP, and got PTP thanks to the Senate vote. The Senate was appointed and is controled by the previous government who took power in a coup.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/3/2023 at 1:11 PM, LudwigK said:

All foreigner wanted the CHANGE:  HERE IT COMES????????????????????

(I repeat) A strange comment among several that don't fit the facts since the Thais voted for MFP not PTP, and got PTP thanks to the Senate vote. The Senate was appointed and is controled by the previous government who took power in a coup.

I often think posters on on AN think that the whole of Thailand is working at 7-11 or in a crappy restaurant or hotel when the facts are very different.

The industrial and service sectors are the main sectors contributing to Thai GDP, with the former accounting for 39.2 percent of GDP. Of this the automobiles and automotive parts industry accounts for 11%, financial services is 9%, electric appliances and components 8% and tourism is only 6%.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Thailand

Paying a graduate 25k per month is out of the reach of most 7-11's but this isn't their target demographic anyway (you don't need a degree to heat up a toastie) but 25k is not unusual for many companies when hiring graduates (I pay this myself to grads as the competition for good grads is definately there), and raising daily wages to initially 400 thb per day is a step in the right direction. If your business can't afford to pay 400 thb per day (approx. 8-10k per month) then fine, take your business to a lower cost centre such as Vietnam or Cambodia but be prepared for even more bureaucracy and corruption than even Thailand. You could try increasing your prices (or make less profit) but that's just a business decision most companies owners have to take and is the same argument these people made when daily wages were raised to 300/350 thb. They all cried poverty but most are still here.

I know that many, many companies already pay in excess of 400 thb per day and 25k for graduates (so this isn't going to be such a big thing for most companies anyway), so I agree with this kind of money (or much more) being paid as it's the only way to drag Thailand into a middle income country status.