Stallions 250 max - The Rear Suspension and My Butt.

vegerad

Hi, Guys!

I bought myself a Stallions 250 max (2017).

It feels great, except for one thing - the rear suspension even on small bumps hurts my butt ???? I can feel even small bumps in the road. It feels like the suspension is practically non-existent. 

As far as I understand, I have the base shock absorbers from back in 2017 and it's time to change them. 

I've never done a suspension replacement. Can you help me pick out shock absorbers for this bike. What parameters do I need to consider when choosing? 
Want more or less budget option up to 4000 baht.

photo_2023-10-03_09-21-34.jpg

I had one of these for 5 years and loved it. From new, the suspension was hard so i reduced the spring preload which improved things.

Before you spend your money, check your spring adjustment nuts.

From the picture, I can see you could reduce the preload on your springs a bit. Slacken the two locking nuts on top of the spring, turn them anticlockwise until no more thread is showing then lock them again. Same both sides.

You'll need two c-spanners (or drift and hammer if you're a butcher) to slacken and tighten the nuts.

From my experience of this bike, it likes to be thrashed rather than treated gently. 

Have fun.

photo_2023-10-03_09-21-34.thumb.jpg.b7e9a6fdf69aad5dca4af4ab66757d4d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, MartinL said:

I had one of these for 5 years and loved it. From new, the suspension was hard so i reduced the spring preload which improved things.

Before you spend your money, check your spring adjustment nuts.

From the picture, I can see you could reduce the preload on your springs a bit. Slacken the two locking nuts on top of the spring, turn them anticlockwise until no more thread is showing then lock them again. Same both sides.

You'll need two c-spanners (or drift and hammer if you're a butcher) to slacken and tighten the nuts.

From my experience of this bike, it likes to be thrashed rather than treated gently. 

Have fun.

photo_2023-10-03_09-21-34.thumb.jpg.b7e9a6fdf69aad5dca4af4ab66757d4d.jpg

I'll give it a shot. Thank you. If I buy new ones, how do I choose the right ones? I'm thinking about the YSS brand.

The rear suspension from a W175 might fit, or are they weak for this bike?