Terminal 21 Korat Enhances Security Measures Following Siam Paragon Shooting

webfact

image.jpeg

Terminal 21 Korat shopping mall has amplified its security protocols, installing scanners for explosives and firearms at every entrance to ensure customer safety.

This intensified measure comes in the wake of a tragic shooting incident on October 3, when a 14-year-old boy, armed with a 9mm short gun, opened fire at civilians and tourists inside the Siam Paragon shopping mall in Bangkok, leading to three fatalities and five injuries, reported INN.

This incident echoes the horrendous massacre at Terminal 21 Korat back on February 8, 2020, where a rogue soldier’s shooting rampage resulted in 31 innocent lives lost and hundreds injured, marking one of the most significant shooting incidents in Thai and global history.

On October 4, our reporter on the ground observed stringent security measures at Terminal 21 Korat. Seven entry points are now equipped with metal and explosive scanners, each manned by three security personnel, along with portable metal detectors to inspect visitors’ bags meticulously.

In an interview, Ms. Sararat, 23, a shopper at Terminal 21 Korat, expressed her ongoing apprehension, especially following the recent Siam Paragon tragedy. Although uneasy, she had to visit the mall for errands.

The enhanced security measures, including the installation of weapon and explosive detectors at every entrance, provide some reassurance. However, Sararat emphasized the need for stricter gun control laws, citing the increasing number of individuals possessing firearms in the country.

The heightened security is a welcome development, but preventing incidents of this nature requires stringent legal reforms to control weapon ownership and access.

-- ASEAN NOW 2023-10-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

I was today at Terminal 21 in Korat, and all they did was scanning my body with some toy-scanner like they use at the airport.
But I doubt that this scanner was working because I had enough iron in my pockets to trigger any scanner and the scanners from Terminal 21 didn't detect anything.

About the new law from our clown-in-service, Anutin, this law has no meaning if the punishments are at the same laughable level as the road infraction punishments.