Phuket Tourist Police Help Lost British Tourist Return to His Hotel After a Memory Lapse

snoop1130

Well I read both 'Full' stories and we still don't know what time of day it was. 

Wife "I thought you were only going for a short time"

" I did then went back to the bar again, I now have a ringing in my ears" :giggle:

Edited by brianthainess
  • Confused 1

Some of you are being too hard on the man, I think. I typed out my travel diary from 1982-83 when I was travelling around South America, etc. at the age of 26, so I wasn't like Joe Biden. There was one occasion when I forgot the name of my hotel and where it was. But by walking around the area I eventually worked it out. It can happen!

• Confused 2

12 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

Typical Brit

Here we go!

A good idea is to always ask for a card at the reception desk when you check in, and stick it in your wallet.

Actually, I am surprised that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often - and not just to Brits!!!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

One of the first things you do when traveling, get a card from your hotel when you check-in. Especially when you don't speak the language.

That is how I returned to my hotel in Thailand two times.  Both times when I was in a city I had never been to before and had forgotten the name of the hotel. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Possibly with a bar girl and the memory lapse was a good excuse for the missus.

My thoughts exactly Soalbundy! That was the first thought that sprang to mind, having used an equally feeble excuse for not getting home until sunrise myself????

I can't say I've ever had this problem, but then I can't see my wife letting me go in the first place. I have been left on my own if I've accompanied her on a work trip and she's gone to a meeting. 

I can usually remember a hotel name although some can be difficult if they aren't in English. Next weekend we'll be going to the Phanomrungpuri Hotel in Nangrong, Buriram. I think this will be our fourth stay but I'd struggle to remember it, although I recognise it as soon as I see it.

The first thing I'd do is check the booking on my phone. That would give me the name and directions but not the room number. I always take a picture of that so I don't have to look an idiot by asking at reception. I like to keep that a secret. If you don't have an online booking then maybe a picture of the name outside the hotel. If you've also lost your phone then there's no hope.

16 hours ago, Northstar1 said:

he went straight to a bar and got sloshed over hours of drinking and after that he forgot where he was staying.  

In my case I was flying to Barcelona from Stansted and the 4hr delayed aircraft meant I was drinking with friends and got well wasted in the airport departure lounge bar. On arrival I had also been drinking on the plane so could hardly stand up and totally forget the name of my hotel. A local taxi said he could take me to another hotel in the centre of the city that would have space. When I arrived at this hotel it, as fate would have it, it was actually the one I was  booked into. What are the odds on that?  The taxi driver was miffed as he missed out on a reward for bringing a new customer to them.