New contract/work permit/visa extension at university?

I work at Thammasat and I am switching faculties within Thammasat and signing a new contract.  This will mean canceling my work permit from the old faculty and doing a new one with the new faculty.  I am not sure if they understand the process.  I am assuming this means cancelling my visa extension and doing a visa extension new also?  My current extension expires in June and the new contract with the new faculty will run until October.

Is this correct?

1. Cancel work permit with old faculty at the labor office and on the same day  go to immigration, cancel visa extension and get new visa extension until the end of the new contract.

2.  Then go to immigration to apply for a new work permit.  

They will prepare all documents for me, but previously told me I should cancel the old work permit first and then apply for the new one within 21 days, which sounded seriously wrong to me. 

Thanks.  

Edited by ricklev

I actually think the easiest solution would be to have your new faculty added to the existing work permit. Talk to the local Labour Office to see if this is possible (Immigration is not involved in this process).

If the Labour office nixes the idea of adding the new faculty to the existing work permit, the recommended process is:

1. Get a termination letter from the faculty giving a final date of work at least two weeks in the future.
  2. Apply for the new work permit with the termination letter and the necessary documents from the new faculty.
  3. Visit Immigration to cancel the existing permission to stay to take effect on the date specified in the termination letter.
  4. With the new work permit, (and other necessary documents) visit Immigration to get the new extension of your permission to stay.

It would be prudent to visit both the Labour Office and your local Immigration Office in advance to explain your plans and ensure there are no unexpected wrinkles that you need to deal with.

If the two faculties use different campuses in different provinces, this may become more complicated.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritTim said:

I actually think the easiest solution would be to have your new faculty added to the existing work permit. Talk to the local Labour Office to see if this is possible (Immigration is not involved in this process).

If the Labour office nixes the idea of adding the new faculty to the existing work permit, the recommended process is:

1. Get a termination letter from the faculty giving a final date of work at least two weeks in the future.
  2. Apply for the new work permit with the termination letter and the necessary documents from the new faculty.
  3. Visit Immigration to cancel the existing permission to stay to take effect on the date specified in the termination letter.
  4. With the new work permit, (and other necessary documents) visit Immigration to get the new extension of your permission to stay.

It would be prudent to visit both the Labour Office and your local Immigration Office in advance to explain your plans and ensure there are no unexpected wrinkles that you need to deal with.

If the two faculties use different campuses in different provinces, this may become more complicated.

Adding the faculty to the existing work permit is a great idea!  Hope it can be done. And thanks for the other information.  They are competent and will surely work out how to do it, but maybe my convenience would not be at the top of the list of considerations.  ????

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

My niece wants to go to Thammasat. is it a good school

It is definitely one of the better universities in Thailand but it depends on which faculty and program she wants to join as some are higher ranked than others.  In any case a Thammasat  degree will open doors for her in Thailand. 

• Thanks 1