How to "pay by scan" upcountry - as a tourist ?

henrik2000

On 10/7/2023 at 12:26 PM, henrik2000 said:

Thanks! So I will forget about "pay by scan".

I will look into Truemoneywallet, or maybe another forum member could say here if that service is useful for a tourist to pay everyday things like groceries, restaurants, gasoline.

Last time I tried to sign up with TrueMoney Wallet they wanted Yellow Tabien Baan or Pink ID card for us foreign types.

Impossible to get as a tourist. Impossible for me also on 'retirement extension' as my condo office just laughed when I asked them to arrange it ????

55 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Last time I tried to sign up with TrueMoney Wallet they wanted Yellow Tabien Baan or Pink ID card for us foreign types.

Impossible to get as a tourist. Impossible for me also on 'retirement extension' as my condo office just laughed when I asked them to arrange it ????

I agree that on a tourist it’s impossible. However why would you ask your condo office, they have nothing to do with the local government office where the yellow book and pink card is issued, so laughing at the request is hardly surprising. There are many people on retirement extensions who have both a yellow book and pink card.

Go to your local Ket or Amphur and ask them, they may refuse or not but they have the authority.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

17 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

why would you ask your condo office, they have nothing to do with the local government office where the yellow book and pink card is issued

Seemed like a good place to start as the building has a lot of foreign tenants so I figured they'd have some experience with it.

I seem to have forgotten to mention that I'm renting the condo on a one-yrar lease and have only been there six months or so. Don't know if I'll stay another year or not. Maybe I go to Pattaya next year, or flee the country to a tax haven ????

Ultimately it isn't that important to me so I didn't bother doing the hard yards and actually visiting the Khet office (Lumphini). 

I was out in Thailand July / August and there were a couple of food  places that only accepted Scan, no cash could not use even a Thai debit card. someone else did have scan on their phone, but it was not obvious when going into these places, so kinda  irritating. ????

6 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

there were a couple of food  places that only accepted Scan, no cash could not use even a Thai debit card.

Oh, that sounds stressful if you don't have (access to) pay by scan.

Thanks for reporting this.

Reminds me slightly of the car wash that so much preferred pay-by-scan, but finally took my cash as well (i believe they worried about Corona).

Edited by henrik2000

• 2 months later...

I have read all posts and can see that this is real problem. I have experienced same challenges e.g. in Chiang Mai in shopping centre with friends we were hungry as we were not able to buy anything with plastic cards or cash. But to our surprise there were super kind Thai people who offered to help and paid for us with their QR codes and I simply give them cash + tips to say Thank you. Any way nice read all above - just too much "fighting" about cashless society haha which was in fact not a topic of this thread 

Well I have been to lots and lots of vendors, and I never had the problem that they accepted pay by scan only. I was always able to pay by cash.

Occasionally change was a small problem, but also never a big problem.

Still I would really love to be able to pay by scan. For tourists they should introduce pay by scan with some kind of debit system by prepaying some thousand Baht. I would happily pay a few percent for that service.

In some countries you can also pay with the credit on your SIM card, but that seems not used in Thailand.