How to "pay by scan" upcountry - as a tourist ?

henrik2000

1 hour ago, Dan O said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I completely agree... I'm not the one complaining that people who using 'scan pay' methods cause delays....   the point is, people using cash also sometimes cause delays...  so the argument that 'cashless is slower' is flawed.

No your comenting the cash users slow you down  so again if your too important to wait the extra 30 seconds they aren't the issue

No... follow the comments..  (as below...)...   bkk6060 mentioned that he hates being behind people who scan and always have some problem... I pointed out that people who use cash can also be slow - its usually the same type of people...   (the idiot who's slow with the app is the same type of idiot who doesnt have their money ready)... ppl who are familiar with using the Apps to pay, do so very quickly... Cashless payment is no slower than cash for most people.

5 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is a huge waste I hate being behind people who scan always some problem

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, connda said:

"Tin-foil hat?"  Nope.  Just ask Nigel Farage and a few thousand Canadian truckers.  :thumbsup:

OK so say your account is blocked how is cash or cashless transactions going to make any difference whatsoever ???... you wont be able to use either, so being pro or anti cashless is irrelevant unless you are keeping cash in your house. 

Do you personally know of anyone who's had their account blocked ??...   a bit of a ridiculous  argument...  right up 'tin-foil-hat' street !!!! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK so say your account is blocked how is cash or cashless transactions going to make any difference whatsoever ???... you wont be able to use either, so being pro or anti cashless is irrelevant unless you are keeping cash in your house. 

Do you personally know of anyone who's had their account blocked ??...   a bit of a ridiculous  argument...  right up 'tin-foil-hat' street !!!! 

You are really making yourself sound stupid.

I use my scb app all the time. I also hate dealing with cash and change. Numerous times the app would not start because it either needed an update or there was service interruption. Cashiers are aware of this issue and will often tell you which bank has an issue and which does not.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You are really making yourself sound stupid.

I use my scb app all the time. I also hate dealing with cash and change. Numerous times the app would not start because it either needed an update or there was service interruption. Cashiers are aware of this issue and will often tell you which bank has an issue and which does not.

Then you suffer an inability to assimilate the written word... 

Read below and then consider who's making themselves look stupid...  you've pretty much matched what I already wrote. 

As already mentioned, the points I'm making on this thread are not pro or anti cashless.... they are just points against some of the irrationality of the arguments against cashless (i.e. some arguing cashless is more time consuming & bank closing peoples accounts !)... 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are pro's and con's and I'm not firmly in the 'Pro cashless camp'...  its more that I'm against the dumb arguments against cashless...  Having the option for both is the convenient option. 

One example is Bangkok Bank... It seems that around midnight paying by PromptPay with Bangkok bank often returns and error... so I have to switch and pay with SCB, use a CC or pay with cash.... 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

No... follow the comments..  (as below...)...   bkk6060 mentioned that he hates being behind people who scan and always have some problem... I pointed out that people who use cash can also be slow - its usually the same type of people...   (the idiot who's slow with the app is the same type of idiot who doesnt have their money ready)... ppl who are familiar with using the Apps to pay, do so very quickly... Cashless payment is no slower than cash for most people.

no need to follow another thread when I was replying to your specific comments, Anyone that thinks they are too important to wait 30 seconds has a personal problem that isnt about payment processes. Dont like to wait buy on line or use a service but the issue lies with the self-important entitled people not the guy in front of you. 

4 hours ago, novacova said:

Utterly witless statement.

Not necessarily true, depending on the bank app. But one wouldn’t understand this being socially inept.

yeah, i agree.  some cant hold an intelligent discussion and have to revert to name calling or labeling people as "boomers" as if that makes them look smarter or better in some way than others. They run out of an appropriate response and its easier to just use labels that mean nothing to the discussion but an easy way out to deflect from their lack of position. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So, I guess not all tourists have a smart phone how they will pay a small amount when facing a street vendor or Mom and Pop shop? With cash! In my country I don't use cash, I just use Tap and Go, but when I am on holiday in Thailand, I use cash. I don't use a credit card I just have a debit card 

Edited by still kicking
Typo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality of all of these arguments is that the same person who causes people to wait with cashless transactions is the same person who hasn't got their wallet/purse out of their pockets/handbag until the cashier tells them the amount... 

The real reality is the delay using the apps is usually because they can be slow

11 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes, or the scanner doesn't work or people are so incompetent they cannot get it right on their phones for a 20 b purchase.  It is a huge waste I hate being behind people who scan always some problem maybe find a way to carry 20 b with you!

Yeah, I'm often having to wait while some idiot causes a hold up with their electronic device that doesn't work.

Real money always works.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As already mentioned, the points I'm making on this thread are not pro or anti cashless.... they are just points against some of the irrationality of the arguments against cashless (i.e. some arguing cashless is more time consuming & bank closing peoples accounts !)... 

If people want to go cashless I couldn't care less. What I care about is the wet dream of authorities/ banks to make everyone cashless.

I won't use shops that don't take real money, but how long before i have no choice is unknown.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

It is a huge waste I hate being behind people who scan always some problem maybe find a way to carry 20 b with you!

Paid hundreds of small payments (less than 100 baht) using scan and never had any problem. So, I don't believe there is any problem paying by scanning. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

How many items are rounded to the price of a convenient note ?

Prices of things are more 'odd'... So how are you paying for your 21 baht 50 satang pack of sweets ??  Scan and go is quicker than waiting for 8.5 baht in change....

And scan an go is also quicker than waiting for the person to dig out their change. 

The reality of all of these arguments is that the same person who causes people to wait with cashless transactions is the same person who hasn't got their wallet/purse out of their pockets/handbag until the cashier tells them the amount... 

I disagree that scan and pay is quicker than cash. Especially in my local Tops.

Usually the delay is on the cashiers side, with the machines taking time to do the transaction and print the acceptance receipt.

But also I often find the wifi to be sketchy and override my 5G phone service. I then have to manually switch off wifi and wait for the transaction to go through over the phone network.

i often feel like I am holding up the queue when using scan and pay. Never feel like that with cash.

i do wonder if any particular bank's scan and pay is better than the others. I use BKKBK.

There is one consideration worth mentioning.

Some of our 'most senior' people do not use smart phones.  Personally I use a Nokia phone which is simple, easy to use, reliable but does not have internet or other access.

I do not want a phone that moves away from the basic 'make and receive calls and messages'.  I am too old to change my ways.

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

with an added bonus of not ending up with loads of coin. 

Never come across a vendor of anything, anywhere, who gives change as "loads of coin", the most, and that would probably only be once in a blue moon, could only be the odd few baht that you just use at the next purchase and it's gone.

to get back on topic, tourists from South East Asian countries from Cambodia to Singapore and even South Korea can already use QR scan to pay, but only for certain banks from their home countries, 

while China also has their own QR payment like Alipay and WeChat but that requires an EDC terminal like credit card swipe machine to accept like TrueMoney, so not much use for market traders, whereas in most market from tourist traps ones in Bangkok or out in the boondocks accept PromptPay QR

As for signals, I've been in markets out in the province where there's only signal in some corner of the market only, meaning in order to scan you'd have to walk over to where the signals are, power is no issue as phones should have batteries, and beside even markets in the most backwater town manage to string power for lights, the trader only need their phones to see if the money has indeed came through, some even operate on honour system where the buyer just flash the screen that shows  they've scanned and transferred, some do got scammed but I doubt that'll be a problem for long in small town.

11 hours ago, novacova said:

Always carry cash, some situations it’s more convenient. Sometimes power is out and the shop is unable to do an electronic transaction. Immigration, cash only. Dead cellular zone or the cell system is down for maintenance. 

Do QR code payments require electric power to be available?

If the power is off the tills in most shops won't work either so the vendor wouldn't be able to scan the code of the items you're buying making cash no advantage, except, maybe, in local corner shops.  This is 2023, not 1993, how often does anyone come across "dead cellular zones" or zones "down for maintenance"?

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do QR code payments require electric power to be available?

If the power is off the tills in most shops won't work either so the vendor wouldn't be able to scan the code of the items you're buying making cash no advantage, except, maybe, in local corner shops.  This is 2023, not 1993, how often does anyone come across "dead cellular zones" or zones "down for maintenance"?

A couple of weeks ago AIS was down in cm for a couple hours. Cellular service of some cellular providers is iffy in some rural areas. A lot of street vendors don’t use tills, they use pockets. If electricity is down for a long period then no power to charge cell phones. Electronic devices are fallible, my wife learned that when she couldn’t access internet for promptpay and had to bum me for cash, since she always carries cash. Cash is good to keep around.

Edited by novacova
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Even in Bangkok there are some shops which do not want cash anymore. 
I already asked myself what if a tourist not have a credit card with him at the moment (left at the hotel).

I encountered 2-3 shops in Bangkok, which would only accept credit card or scan (Promptpay).

I am enjoying the option of scan. As it's really faster than pay by cash. I do not have to think about how much money I should become back (not checking). I see many persons who try to count the coins till they have the correct amount. Especially on small shops while the seller prepare your order (drink, food or wrap the things), I can scan the QR code, type in the amount and when I receive the item, I only click on OK. Not need to wait for the seller to give me the return money.

Bigger shops sometimes even have the QR which includes the amount. Then only scan and press OK (if you already log-in to your banking app).

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Dan O said:
15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

no need to follow another thread when I was replying to your specific comments,

And those comments were made in 'this thread'... not a different thread... 

But you have failed to comprehend the context of my comment in response to someone else who suggested their hate waiting for people who are slow with cashless payment.

Anyone that thinks they are too important to wait 30 seconds has a personal problem that isnt about payment processes. Dont like to wait buy on line or use a service but the issue lies with the self-important entitled people not the guy in front of you. 

I agree...       

yeah, i agree.  some cant hold an intelligent discussion and have to revert to name calling or labeling people as "boomers" as if that makes them look smarter or better in some way than others. They run out of an appropriate response and its easier to just use labels that mean nothing to the discussion but an easy way out to deflect from their lack of position. 

The word 'boomer' really gets you butt hurt eh ??... it;s just a descriptor.. .

It's a widely accepted description for someone born between 1946 and 1964...  

I'm not going to go crying or get offended if you want to call me a 'Gen-X-er'... 

In the case of this thread - its fitting of those who find objection to developments in technology because it takes them outside of their comfort zone...  

In years to come, I'll be slow to adopt to newer technology and perhaps find stupid arguments to justify being 'stuck in my ways'.... 

Note to all of you against cash-less payments... You've being doing so for years, when paying for anything by debit or credit card, by bank transfer etc...  

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, phetphet said:

I disagree that scan and pay is quicker than cash. Especially in my local Tops.

Usually the delay is on the cashiers side, with the machines taking time to do the transaction and print the acceptance receipt.

But also I often find the wifi to be sketchy and override my 5G phone service. I then have to manually switch off wifi and wait for the transaction to go through over the phone network.

i often feel like I am holding up the queue when using scan and pay. Never feel like that with cash.

i do wonder if any particular bank's scan and pay is better than the others. I use BKKBK.

Agreed... there can be delays when paying with PromptPay (or True Money)... but its not as if thats any every day occurrence. 

There are also issues with 'cash-payments' when some vendors don't have change etc... again, its not an every day occurrence. 

Minor issues with either are not a reason to specifically avoid one or the other. 

7 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

with an added bonus of not ending up with loads of coin. 

Never come across a vendor of anything, anywhere, who gives change as "loads of coin", the most, and that would probably only be once in a blue moon, could only be the odd few baht that you just use at the next purchase and it's gone.

It used to be worse in the UK... at the end of a night out, pockets full of £1, £2 and 50p, 20p coins etc..  At the end of a months visit there would a jar full... 

Thailand less so because the 20 baht note is small change already...

IMO - its just easier not to end up with change in the pocket after numerous transactions... its easier to 'tap and go' (with the card) or scan and go with Mobile 'scan payment'...  

It wont belong before our phones have RFID payment and that will be even quicker. 

My wallet usually has 2x 1000 baht notes and a couple of 100's as backup... just a couple of cards...  nice and thin..    Just preferences of course..   

8 hours ago, Shannoblic said:

There is one consideration worth mentioning.

Some of our 'most senior' people do not use smart phones.  Personally I use a Nokia phone which is simple, easy to use, reliable but does not have internet or other access.

I do not want a phone that moves away from the basic 'make and receive calls and messages'.  I am too old to change my ways.

And this is one of the first 'intelligent reasons' I've read on this thread not to use Cashless.

Some people do not want to adopt to smart phones... and that is perfectly fair.

No dumb excuses about power cuts, slowing people down etc or some other reason to justify their preference...  IF someone doesn't want to carry a smart phone with them, thats perfectly reasonable... 

7 hours ago, novacova said:

Electronic devices are fallible, my wife learned that when she couldn’t access internet for promptpay and had to bum me for cash, since she always carries cash. Cash is good to keep around.

There are pro's and con's for each... 

Phone Banking - network outage / loss of battery 

Credit / Debit Cards - Card reader fails / network outage

Bank Card (to withdraw cash) - ATM skimmers

Carrying Cash - Risk of Loss (if wallet is lost etc)

Nothing is perfect...   I wouldn't avoid carrying a small amount of cash as backup. 

I carry a phone anyway, so using that as a payment option when convenient makes perfect sense. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The word 'boomer' really gets you butt hurt eh ??... it;s just a descriptor.. .

It's a widely accepted description for someone born between 1946 and 1964...  

I'm not going to go crying or get offended if you want to call me a 'Gen-X-er'... 

In the case of this thread - its fitting of those who find objection to developments in technology because it takes them outside of their comfort zone...  

In years to come, I'll be slow to adopt to newer technology and perhaps find stupid arguments to justify being 'stuck in my ways'.... 

Note to all of you against cash-less payments... You've being doing so for years, when paying for anything by debit or credit card, by bank transfer etc...  

Nope doesn't hurt my feelings as you have no clue who is a boomer or not in the scenario being discussed. Its just a classic deflection tactic by someone who has no valid argument. you use a "descriptor" out of context in a conversation that has nothing to do with any specific class or category of people (other than some dont use scan and go for their own reasons)  just to show your entitled or superior in some way. Its a pathetic way to try to justify your ideas

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Nope doesn't hurt my feelings as you have no clue who is a boomer or not in the scenario being discussed. Its just a classic deflection tactic by someone who has no valid argument. you use a "descriptor" out of context in a conversation that has nothing to do with any specific class or category of people (other than some dont use scan and go for their own reasons)  just to show your entitled or superior in some way. Its a pathetic way to try to justify your ideas

Yet it still seems to bother you so much...   

Now...  how many of those who are so 'anti-cashless' were born before 1964 ???

Of course, we don't know... but this is one of those threads which is perfect for 'boomer resistance'... Those who are are less technically adept are more likely to resist change towards newer technologies. 

... and, as much as it seems to bother you, those who are older are far more likely to be less technically adept, less flexible and far more likely to resist adoption of newer technologies.

Some of the 'anti-cashless' comments are simply very poorly thought out and highlight a stubbornness to adapt rather than any real intelligent reason not to evolve. 

On 10/7/2023 at 6:51 PM, richard_smith237 said:

How will you use cash if your Bank account is 'blocked' ??? you wont be able to get hold of it in the first place... Do you keep your cash under the mattress ?

Yes I do. I keep NO amount of money in any bank. If I need to make a bank transfer, I just deposit cash crypto and send it right away, so my account is empty again.
I have all my wealth in cash, gold and crypto and real estate.

A friend of mine got his company bank account "haircutted" in Cyprus 10 years ago.

I do not know anyone personally being affected by that, but banks just ran away with the deposit of customers in Serbia in 2008 as well.

Money that you have in a bank is not even yours. It is the banks money and you merely have an account there with a deposit. And the bank can allow you to withdraw money from this account.

In good times, you will get your withdrawal. But in bad times, you will not. Just ask people in Libanon nowadays, they are robbing banks just to get their OWN money out of their account.

But I bet most people here are either too drunk, otherwise poisoned, naive or just illiterate to even comprehend these things.

The reactions to my posts are hilarious. It really proofs that Thailand is mainly a destination for people with low financial and general intelligence. Land of the Free? Maybe 50 years ago.

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If people want to go cashless I couldn't care less. What I care about is the wet dream of authorities/ banks to make everyone cashless.

I won't use shops that don't take real money, but how long before i have no choice is unknown.

Leave Thailand bro.

Locals and even allmost all of the expats here are completely on their knees for any authoritarian dream.

The few expats that see the dangers approaching cannot or do not wanna leave due to financial or family reasons. The others are gone already or packing their stuff. 

Now they even abolished the territorial taxation system. No tax-free money from offshore anymore. Smart money is leaving Thailand as a tax residence in droves.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FarAway said:

Now they even abolished the territorial taxation system. No tax-free money from offshore anymore. Smart money is leaving Thailand as a tax residence in droves.

So they did finally withdraw from honoring the agreements with other countries ( not to double tax).

SOB!