Global Warming just a way to force everyone to buy Electric Cars?

39 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

Is Global Warming just a way to force everyone to buy Electric Cars and put pressure on Russia and the Middle East?

Parking Fines / permits (1986)

Garages saying your new car no longer works / the MOT test - 1991

Roadside emission checks (1999)

The congestion charge (2003)

Tax Exemption for older cars changed to be 40 years - (2008)

Vehicle Scrappage Scheme (2009)

The ULEZ (2019)

Next Step ??? (Free Electric Cars for Everyone?)

Electric cars are just the next generation of personal travel.

The same as rail travel, slowly getting rid of the gas guzzling engines..

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I'm concerned there's nothing we can do to fix global warming, especially since we're adding 80 million people a year to the planet. 

Most of those 80 million don't have the money to pollute much.

And wealthy countries tend to have lower population growth.

2 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Is Global Warming just a way to force everyone to buy Electric Cars and put pressure on Russia and the Middle East?

Parking Fines / permits (1986)

Garages saying your new car no longer works / the MOT test - 1991

Roadside emission checks (1999)

The congestion charge (2003)

Tax Exemption for older cars changed to be 40 years - (2008)

Vehicle Scrappage Scheme (2009)

The ULEZ (2019)

Next Step ??? (Free Electric Cars for Everyone?)

Damn !

Youve got us all figured out…

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

EVs are great, no problems with burning batteries, no problems with charging, no problems with high current electrical supply to every house, the production of the cars is super clean, and and and, nothing to see here.

I like your sense of humor

• Thanks 2

Ignoring environmental considerations EVs have some inherent advantages over ICE that are undeniable:

1.  NVH

2.  Weight distribution

3.  Power and torque delivery

4.  Simplicity

5.  Minimal servicing

But if you buy an EV right now you are buying the Sinclair ZX80 of EVs and paying an early adopters premium for doing so.  In five years time there will be EVs way better and way cheaper.

Another significant downside to owning an EV is that most people will assume, with good reason, that you are probably a smug self righteous prat.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Simplicity

Really?

Like: I only have an engine or two and a battery and that's it?

There is a lot of necessary electronic even in the simplest EV. There is no such thing as opening the hood and checking a few mechanical and electric connections.

mechanic-men-with-wrench-repairing-car-e

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

Like: I only have an engine or two and a battery and that's it?

There is a lot of necessary electronic even in the simplest EV. There is no such thing as opening the hood and checking a few mechanical and electric connections.

mechanic-men-with-wrench-repairing-car-e

Most of the electronics is stupid crap to bump up the price.  My guess is that in time there will be EVs that have an electric drivetrain but without all the touch screen rubbish.  They already have such cars in China.

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Most of the electronics is stupid crap to bump up the price.  My guess is that in time there will be EVs that have an electric drivetrain but without all the touch screen rubbish.  They already have such cars in China.

You're underestimating the GenX. They grew up glued to their telephone touch screen. And they will decide what the consumers want now. I suggest you stick to no electronics ICE. Nissan Bluebird from 1970's would fit you nicely.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems by now anybody who does not enthusiastically support EVs is marked as an outsider.

EVs are great, no problems with burning batteries, no problems with charging, no problems with high current electrical supply to every house, the production of the cars is super clean, and and and, nothing to see here.

It seems with X and other internet places where people shout at each other all the time there are only few people left who are willing to say something critical.

And all professional media have green journalists and climate crisis journalists and all that. They have to publish all the time something, otherwise they would lose their jobs. 

And nobody likes people who don't just see black or white. There are lots of shades of grey with many vehicle technologies. Who is willing to talk facts and reality? 

Had you been around 120 years ago, you would have similar thoughts about the cars vs horses debate.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are several reasons governments are pushing people toward these cars.  I personally hate them and will drive a gas guzzler for as long as possible.

+1 Well I love burning fossil fuel as to not being a hypocrite against something I use virtually all day and every day, more power to go, longer distances per fill up, quick and easy refueling as opposed to waiting for a silly battery to charge with electricity generated by fossil fuel…now how lame is that??????

Edited by novacova
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

It's only a hoax in your mind:

UAH_LT_1979_thru_September_2023_v6_20x9.jpg

Bro, the earth always changed it's weather. You climate deniers and climate crisis hoaxers are always so hilarious with your stats only showing a few decades. Did you know that we are at the end of an ice age? There's no emergency, nobody stole Greta's life.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1