Building with Hemp

KohChangTai

Hemp-based building materials would be well-suited for Thailand for several reasons:

1. Sustainability: Hemp is a fast-growing and renewable resource that requires minimal water and pesticides. Thailand's climate is conducive to hemp cultivation, making it an environmentally friendly choice for building materials.

2. Climate Resilience: Hempcrete, a hemp-based construction material, has excellent insulation properties. In Thailand's tropical climate, it can help maintain comfortable indoor temperatures, reducing the need for energy-intensive cooling systems.

3. Local Availability: Hemp can be cultivated locally, reducing the need for importing construction materials. This supports local economies and reduces transportation-related emissions.

4. Reduced Carbon Footprint: Hemp absorbs carbon dioxide during its growth, making it a carbon-negative material. Using hemp-based materials can contribute to lower carbon emissions in the construction sector.

5. Durability: Hemp-based materials are durable and resistant to pests and mold, which is particularly important in Thailand's humid conditions.

6. Regulatory Potential: Thailand has shown interest in exploring the use of hemp for various applications, including construction. Favorable regulations could promote the growth of this industry.

In summary, hemp-based building materials align with Thailand's climate, sustainability goals, and economic interests, making them a promising choice for construction in the region.

Has anyone here had experience with building using hemp-based materials in Thailand? If so, did you use any additives in your mix of hydrated lime and hemp hurds for construction? Please share your insights and experiences.

IMG_3436.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3264.jpeg

I used a number of non standard building techniques in my build such as geothermal and an Energy Recovery Ventilation system. I attended Architecture and green energy shows in Bangkok. I talked to 2 professors of Architecture about eco build technology but I never came across hemp being used.

Another problem for you building on Koh Chang is that if you use any materials that you can’t source on the island, you will have bring them across on the Ferry.

I would recommend sticking with AAC blocks. I used two walls of 7.5cm and put 3 inches of foam in between.

insulation2.thumb.jpeg.f20e37ea73e86c5428dda8e623823fee.jpeg