Maximum number of consecutive education visas you've personally heard of?

Hi all,

I've just received my second education visa. That's not my second extention. I mean that I've already studied Thai at a language school for a year, left the country, and have now received a second new visa that I will be extending for another year. That will eventually make a total of 24 months.

One of the the teachers at my language school is adament that she knows a man here who has done this for 7 years, simply by going from school to school. I doubt this, but I'd like to know what people have heard.

I honestly do attend classes and study Thai. But I doubt I'd be able to switch language schools and take a third year of classes. So I was thinking about a Master's degree. But I wanted to hear if anyone knew of anyone successfully doing this.

Thanks!

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TravelTeach said:

Let's see...

37,000 for the course

10,000 to change the tourist stamp into the Ed Visa

1900 x 4 for the renewals

= 54,600

Thanks for the info.

I'm so out of touch re ED visa so cannot post useful info.

I was under the impression that to obtain back to back the schools had to be certain category. 

Thinking @BritTim is pretty across ED visa.

Just bumping your thread as no replies..

Good luck..

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, hydraides said:

You can probably keep doing it but you will need to go back to your home country for a new passport every few years

From my understanding , Immigration at the airport won't see you had an educational visa on the computer........Maybe just the length of time you've been in thailand

Immigration at the airport will be aware of your previous entries with a Non Ed visa, and also see a record of your extensions. The embassy/consulate where you apply for a visa will generally not have access to your Immigration history, only what is visible in your current passport (and your old passport if, as occasionally happens, they demand to look at that).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Immigration at the airport will be aware of your previous entries with a Non Ed visa, and also see a record of your extensions. The embassy/consulate where you apply for a visa will generally not have access to your Immigration history, only what is visible in your current passport (and your old passport if, as occasionally happens, they demand to look at that).

Sorry I got mixed up,

I meant to say immigration offices - where your visa approved/ extended can only see what is in your passport history. 

If you have to many Ed Visa in your passport - Immigration office will likely not issue you with another one ....or if you have a Non-B/Extension of stay - you can no longer can an Ed-Visa also. 

That is why its probably a good idea to get a new passport every few years

When we first came here, my son received 4 times (years) Education Visa with local language school, back to back. They wouldn't allow him to have a fifth year. So then he went to the University and entered into a degree program and received a Ed.Visa. which he is on his forth year now.

5 hours ago, hydraides said:

or if you have a Non-B/Extension of stay - you can no longer can an Ed-Visa also. 

I managed to get an Ed Visa while having previously had a Non-B in my passport.

The ed wasn't directly after the non-b (about 18 months had passed between the non-b expiring and the ed being issued), so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Edited by JayClay

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 4:50 AM, Crazy Noobie said:

When we first came here, my son received 4 times (years) Education Visa with local language school, back to back. They wouldn't allow him to have a fifth year. So then he went to the University and entered into a degree program and received a Ed.Visa. which he is on his forth year now.

So if I've got that right, he's had a total of 8 years with education visas? Could I ask what he studied in Uni?

2 minutes ago, TravelTeach said:

So if I've got that right, he's had a total of 8 years with education visas? Could I ask what he studied in Uni?

Yes, he had 8 Education Visa (one year each) in a row. The first 4 he was learning to speak, write and read Thai. The next 4 Education Visa was he is working on his Bachelor degree in Science (Nursing). He is getting ready to enter into his last semester and he will graduate in March of next year. 

On 10/9/2023 at 9:31 AM, TravelTeach said:

Hi all,

I've just received my second education visa. That's not my second extention. I mean that I've already studied Thai at a language school for a year, left the country, and have now received a second new visa that I will be extending for another year. That will eventually make a total of 24 months.

One of the the teachers at my language school is adament that she knows a man here who has done this for 7 years, simply by going from school to school. I doubt this, but I'd like to know what people have heard.

I honestly do attend classes and study Thai. But I doubt I'd be able to switch language schools and take a third year of classes. So I was thinking about a Master's degree. But I wanted to hear if anyone knew of anyone successfully doing this.

Thanks!

I've done it for three years and eventually got kicked out of the country.

I think 3 years is the limit.

But maybe if you choose to study something else, you might stay longer.

In CM I've heard you can study self-defense with the army on an ED visa for example.

Anyhow. Good luck.

On 10/18/2023 at 4:33 PM, Bunny Silverhand said:

I've done it for three years and eventually got kicked out of the country.

I think 3 years is the limit.

But maybe if you choose to study something else, you might stay longer.

Thanks for the reply. I suspect your case is the norm, and even that third year in my case might ruffle some feathers depending on the officer or political winds or whatnot. 

So, it's either a Master's or a (gasp) job for me next year I guess.