Bangkok’s electrifying fare cap: Next week’s ’20 baht’ trial ride

webfact

image.jpeg

The Thai Transport Minister last night revealed that an impending fare cap on Bangkok’s electric train network is set to materialise next week.

The initiative, spearheaded by the government, proposes a maximum fare of 20 baht per trip and is expected to be trialled on the Red and Purple lines next Monday, as disclosed by Transport Minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit.

The Pheu Thai Party, the ruling party, pledged this fare cap to its followers during this year’s electoral campaign. This commitment was aimed at easing the financial burden on the city’s commuters who utilise the capital’s electric rail routes.

However, a planned review of the programme by the Cabinet, initially slated for today, has been postponed until next week. This is due to the absence of Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin.

by Bob Scott

Picture courtesy of Wikipedia.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 2

I'm all in favor of a cap on BTS/MRT fares, of course I have self interest living in the capital city.

I certainly can see political disagreement on this though too, who is going to pay for it? Who is going to pay for the 10k digital wallet? Who is going to pay for any myriad of populist spending proposals? Under the previous government it was all talk of submarines and new planes for the air force, a different version of massive government spending.

Seems to me that they cannot afford these things on current revenue, hence the recent talk of "foreign income" tax, tourist airport fees.

What's next, an increase in VAT of maybe an increase in the fairly recently adopted property tax?

Edited by expat_4_life
  • Like 1