Parkinson’s disease detectable before physical symptoms show, Australian research finds

Social Media

A long time friend died a very very painful death recently from Parkinsons. He opted for the "morphine relief" for his end but was still in incredible pain apparently.

Voluntary Assisted Dying  is available in some countries.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

What's the point in knowing even further ahead that you're going to die? Useless unless there is a cure. 

Think of the $$ billions they'll make treating them that much longer.

Years ago, I remember reading about a cancer diagnosis breakthrough that led to longer survival.  Later studies showed that people died just as fast, they just knew about it longer.  And the average treatment cost went from $10,000 to well over $250,000, simply because they were being treated for years instead of months.  And that was decades ago, when healthcare was almost affordable.

I hope this is meaningful for Parkinson's patients.  But I'm skeptical.

6 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Yes I imagine the insurance companies are clapping their hands in joy.

Insurance works on pretty much a cost plus model.  They'll do okay once they jack up their rates.

Big Pharma's going to make a killing.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, tandor said:

Insurance companies are going to love this..another pre-existing condition to declare.

Imagine the quandary that puts patients in... 

Do I get the diagnosis knowing that will lock me out of any life changes that may require me to change insurance providers?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

With all the money Michael J Fox, M Ali etc have raised, I wondered if we/they would see a breakthrough in Parkinsons in my/his lifetime. Seems we will!  Good luck to you MJ Fox!!

IH

MJF has done a great job in both advocating for PD patients and research.  Much has been accomplished in understanding the disease but effective treatment continues to elude the medical community. 

Your sentiments are correct and hopefully a treatment in on the horizon…????

57 minutes ago, Purdey said:

What's the point in knowing even further ahead that you're going to die? Useless unless there is a cure. 

In regards to PD, knowing the beast can be an important step in the reduction of severity of symptoms. 
Currently there are over 200 distinct symptoms that can be presented by PD patients. 

Knowledge and attitude can have a significant difference in the PD patients quality of life. ????

And if you are going to "end it early" for Gods sake, read Final Exit

The Practicalities of Self-Deliverance and Assisted Suicide for the Dying, 3rd Edition https://a.co/d/9LPUQcE

It always makes me sad to hear of people jumping from balconies, hangings, overdoses and blowing brains out etc. Total lack of research, see above ......

Final Exit is painless and dignified. It replaced The Hemlock Society (if the pain got too bad you took the poison Hemlock) but suicide can/should be much more civilized these days....

IH

Edited by Datsun 1200
Edit
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I go to Government Hospital in Udon Thani they’ve always discussed estimated costs prior and never was it exceeded.  Dr. wanted to change.ongoing heart medicine that was a bit higher. We discussed it and Dr. asked if price was ok and within budget . 

I’ve had nothing but good treatment at the Government hospital and feel fortunate no issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1