My Thai Shares Are Doing Too Well!

I think you also should ask yourself this question:

If i sell these stocks today, and i looked for stocks to buy, would i buy the same number of stocks for the current price?

Use the same criteria you used before and you will have your answer.

Leave out emotions as they are mostly wrong in the long run.

Personally i would keep them until the first sign they go down. If i have a lot of stocks then i just sell 25% and let the rest run. If they go up again i repeat it.

I learned that after many mistakes.

Nowadays i do more in options. they just expire. :o

My Chinese friend is gambling far more than you are in the Shanghai market, and I keep telling him to take his huge profits now, and he keeps thinking that he can beat the Chinese at their own game. But you're not doing what many folks here are saying, such as investing in a mutual fund or an index fund. You invested in three particular Thai stocks which you investigated fairly thoroughly.

You have not made one red cent yet on your investment; you could still lose a sizeable portion. Only sellers make profits. I suggest you sell half and keep the other half. But I'm often mistaken.

If i sell these stocks today, and i looked for stocks to buy, would i buy the same number of stocks for the current price?

<snip>

I agree with the quote above. It is another way of saying something I had drilled into me every day when I was younger - imagine you had not made that investment and you were considering making it right now under current conditions and in light of the recent performance - would you still do it ? If the answer is no, then sell it. If the answer is yes, then let it run. Obviously it is not really as clear cut as that, but when looked at in this objective way it should give you an insight as to what is best for you.

<snip>

I agree with the quote above. It is another way of saying something I had drilled into me every day when I was younger - imagine you had not made that investment and you were considering making it right now under current conditions and in light of the recent performance - would you still do it ? If the answer is no, then sell it. If the answer is yes, then let it run. Obviously it is not really as clear cut as that, but when looked at in this objective way it should give you an insight as to what is best for you.

that answer for the time being is a definete yes. There is still good growth potential out of the share I've invested in, though not as much as when I bought them. But they are good companies and are good at creating value, and have a history of doing that.

But you're not doing what many folks here are saying, such as investing in a mutual fund or an index fund. You invested in three particular Thai stocks which you investigated fairly thoroughly.

Thanks PB

Actually, most of our investments are in superannuation funds in OZ...basically our pension nest eggs in managed funds. Can't be touched till 55 under OZ law. The rest is a joint mortgage we have with my parents on a property in an up and coming area of Australia, and some rainy day cash getting some nice Aust/NZ interest rates at the moment. Also a little cash being set aside for our little ones future education expenses. Health insurance with evacuation to OZ, disabilty insurance, life insurance etc etc all in place too should the sh!t the fan...god forbid.

Geez, I sound so fugging sensible! I feel like I need to do something utterly stupid just so I'm not labled a poindexter or something.....

Samran, to give you a sensed answer we need to know exactly what specific stocks you bought.

Without this info, it's just bar chatting.

Exactly.So far the advice has been abysmal without any consideration of the fundamentals of the Thai market, the most distinguishing characteristic being that shares are trading more cheaply than anywhere else in the region.If you want informed comment rather than the bar room chat hitherto let us know what stocks you have acquired.

As long as they are high volume stocks you can have the best of both worlds by sliding stops.. I dont know if your broker can offer Guaranteed stop losses, like I have used with spread betting accounts, but that can be worth the premium if you feel your playing with fire in a crash possible market.. If I was to play on the Chinese markets I would happily stop for guaranteed stop losses as I feel that large gap downs of panic selling with no buyers is possible.

Other than that unless I felt fundamentals had changed I would let my winners run. By doing so and keep sliding your stop loss you get the increased return and protection.

As long as they are high volume stocks you can have the best of both worlds by sliding stops.. I dont know if your broker can offer Guaranteed stop losses, like I have used with spread betting accounts, but that can be worth the premium if you feel your playing with fire in a crash possible market.. If I was to play on the Chinese markets I would happily stop for guaranteed stop losses as I feel that large gap downs of panic selling with no buyers is possible.

Other than that unless I felt fundamentals had changed I would let my winners run. By doing so and keep sliding your stop loss you get the increased return and protection.

There is no protection in case of gaps against you. The only way to protect your position somehow is to do it with options while I doubt them to be available for Thai stocks.

.. If I was to play on the Chinese markets I would happily stop for guaranteed stop losses as I feel that large gap downs of panic selling with no buyers is possible.

Agree.

However....in China, the problem is that one can do that -a stop loss- but just for the day. You have to repeat that the next day if you didn't sell.

In other words, one has to fine-tune a stop-loss for the stocks on a daily basis and TRY not to be too greedy.... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Do what you feel is right and don't listen to anyone. Six weeks ago I was up $2,000 dollars. I didn't follow my own advise and now that $2,000 is gone plus another $4,000. I had promised myself that I would take my small profit when I HAD the small profit. I didn't!

.. If I was to play on the Chinese markets I would happily stop for guaranteed stop losses as I feel that large gap downs of panic selling with no buyers is possible.

Agree.

However....in China, the problem is that one can do that -a stop loss- but just for the day. You have to repeat that the next day if you didn't sell.

In other words, one has to fine-tune a stop-loss for the stocks on a daily basis and TRY not to be too greedy.... :o

LaoPo

I'm not too sure of their "guarentee" execution if a flood of newbie day-traders decide to panic sell (although you could be saved by the 10% daily limit) ...

Agree.

LaoPo

I'm not too sure of their "guarentee" execution if a flood of newbie day-traders decide to panic sell (although you could be saved by the 10% daily limit) ...

In third world "emerging" markets, when the party is over, it is not uncommon for stocks to open limit down and remain there all day. Then the next day and the day after they repeat the process. Lack of liquidity makes emerging markets like roach motels "you can check in, but you can't check out". I'm not saying that's about to happen at all, but a stop loss would not help one in that case. Every sale requires a buyer.

samran - perhaps there is another thought process here? I sort of sense this is playing on your mind? To be honest I personally am cutting out the crap as far as possible these days, I simply don't need the hassle. What I would say is that if you are over a certain age and make a mistake you cannot recover. But if you are bored and have the funds great stuff.

Edited by pkrv