Potassium too high, any tips?

Confuscious

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

As far as I understood my Neprologist, he told me to avoid "yellow fruits/vegetables (banana, pumpkin, avocado, etc.)" and eat more green fruits/vegetables (cabbage, salad, etc.).

What fruit/vegetable diet do you suggest for someone with high Potassium?

Most vegetables are fine.

In terms of fruits, berries of all types, cherries and apples are relatively low in potassium. Bananas as you know are quite high. So are oranges, papaya  and mangoes -- as your doctor told you, the yellow and orange items.

Even these you can probably get away with in small  quantity and on occasional basis.  But never again 3 bananas in a day! Maybe 1//2 a banana once or twice a week max. (Be guided by your blood test results of course).

• Thanks 1

I guess you're experiencing leg cramps at night, too. The doctor should have tested you for hyperkalemia. I hope you don't have it.

I control my potassium levels by mixing Kalimate with 30cc water and drinking it with one of my meals. I space it out over a few bites. WHen the doctor first gave this to me in hospital her staff just mixed it and had me drink the whole mixture straight away.  Good luck.

There is another method that I was prescribed, but it involves taking a cortisone steroid derivative (oh it's only a little they said). I gained 20 kg over the next 18 months. I've managed over the past year to lose 10kg.  The steroid causes you to produce a hormone that tells your body to store your food (aka build fat).

(The kalimate can also be administered in an enima, but I haven't gone that route. I normally mix one packet per day)

Edited by AgMech Cowboy
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Irish star said:

My cardiologist said avoid salt like the plague , No soups or Chinese food 

He is probably right but I  would do my own research and question him if needed. It seems like you have some health issues that sodium exacerbates.   I have received conflicting advice from many physicians over the last 30 years. As for "ME" loads of extra sodium is a necessity if I want to be in top form.  If I exercised little or exercised in cool weather I wouldn't need nearly as much.  My advice is to learn how sodium interacts with electrolytes and learn how to read your blood numbers.  A CBC blood test costs 300 baht here and lots of easy to understand numbers that paint a picture of your general health.

6 minutes ago, atpeace said:

He is probably right but I  would do my own research and question him if needed. It seems like you have some health issues that sodium exacerbates.   I have received conflicting advice from many physicians over the last 30 years. As for "ME" loads of extra sodium is a necessity if I want to be in top form.  If I exercised little or exercised in cool weather I wouldn't need nearly as much.  My advice is to learn how sodium interacts with electrolytes and learn how to read your blood numbers.  A CBC blood test costs 300 baht here and lots of easy to understand numbers that paint a picture of your general health.

I do a complete blood test every 3 months and I follow strictly what my doctor advices me 

That's the best choice to keep healthy.

Just now, Confuscious said:

I do a complete blood test every 3 months and I follow strictly what my doctor advices me 

That's the best choice to keep healthy.

Glad it has worked out well for you.  I listen to doctors and do my own research which has worked for me. We are both still here so hard to tell who has the best plan. Cheers

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I guess you're experiencing leg cramps at night, too. The doctor should have tested you for hyperkalemia. I hope you don't have it.

I control my potassium levels by mixing Kalimate with 30cc water and drinking it with one of my meals. I space it out over a few bites. WHen the doctor first gave this to me in hospital her staff just mixed it and had me drink the whole mixture straight away.  Good luck.

There is another method that I was prescribed, but it involves taking a cortisone steroid derivative (oh it's only a little they said). I gained 20 kg over the next 18 months. I've managed over the past year to lose 10kg.  The steroid causes you to produce a hormone that tells your body to store your food (aka build fat).

(The kalimate can also be administered in an enima, but I haven't gone that route. I normally mix one packet per day)

Can I buy "Kalimate" at the pharmacy.

I don't have leg cramp at night, but when I get up and I don't take care (stretching myself) I scream from the cramps in the back of my lower legs.

12 hours ago, Confuscious said:

Can I buy "Kalimate" at the pharnacy

It is off market in Thailand.

And with your complex, serious multiple diagnoses you should not self prescribe anything. Very dangerous. 

Yout potassium is only slightly elevated (5.1 vs upper limit 5.0) and that reading came after unusually large ingestion of high potasium foods.

Worth rechecking after a few weeks of a more prudent diet but otherwise no reason for alarm. 

Do not take any medications, even supplements,  without  first checkimg with your doctor. 

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is off market in Thailand.

And with your complex, serious multiple diagnoses you should not self prescribe anything. Very dangerous. 

Yout potassium is only slightly elevated (5.1 vs upper limit 5.0) and that reading came after unusually large ingestion of high potasium foods.

Worth rechecking after a few weeks of a more prudent diet but otherwise no reason for alarm. 

Do not take any medications, even supplements,  without  first checkimg with your doctor. 

I did read in Google about the side-effects of this drug and I came already to the conclusion that it was a "NO WAY" supplement for me.

Thanks for the head up Sheryll.